Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Eireann N3/M3 Corridor Route & Timetable Changes - Phase 3

• 04-09-2017 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭

The third and final phase of the M3 Corridor changes have now been announced by Bus Eireann as taking place on 17 September 2017.

Full details and links to new timetables in the article below:

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2378&month=Sep
    M3 Corridor Service Improvements

Bus Éireann in conjunction with the National Transport Authority are pleased to announce the introduction of an enhanced bus service for our customers along the M3 Corridor and in particular the towns of Dunshaughlin, Navan, Kells, Virginia & Cavan. This follows the Bus reann/National Transport Authority review of services along the M3 Corridor and takes account of the feedback received from members of the public. The enhanced services will be introduced on Sunday, 17 September 2017.

How are my bus services changing?

This service change will see the current Route 109: Cavan – Virginia – Kells – Navan – Dunshaughlin – Dublin divided into 3 separate routes which will individually focus on certain sections of the corridor to provide an enhanced service offering including higher frequency, longer operating hours and quicker journey times to all our customers along the whole corridor. These changes will complement the improvements introduced on Route 109a: Kells – Navan – Dunshaughlin – Ratoath – Ashbourne – Dublin Airport – DCU – City Centre during the second half of 2016 and deliver a 24/7 bus service from Kells, Navan & Dunshaughlin to/from the city centre.

Route 109: Kells – Navan – Dunshaughlin – Bracetown – Navan Rd - City Centre

This service will follow the routing of the current Route 109 and will provide an hourly service linking Kells to the City Centre via the R147 via Navan, Dunshaughlin, Clonee, Blanchardstown & the Navan Rd terminating at Busaras. Additional services will operate in the morning & evening peak with some of these services extended to UCD.

Route 109X: Cavan – Virginia – Kells – M3 Motorway – City Centre

This service will follow the routing of the current Route 109 between Cavan and Kells before accessing the M3 Motorway south of Kells to continue its journey to the city stopping at Blanchardstown before entering the city via the Finglas QBC & O’Connell St before terminating at Busaras. This service will operate an hourly frequency from 04.45 from Cavan until 22.45 from the city centre. Additional services will operate in the morning & evening peak.

Route NX: Navan – M3 Motorway – City Centre – Wilton Terrace

This service will provide a fast, frequent and regular service from Navan to both the city centre and south city business zone. It will operate an extended routing in Navan to better serve residential areas before accessing the M3 Motorway to continue its journey to the city centre stopping at Blanchardstown before entering the city via the Finglas QBC, & O’Connell St before terminating at Wilton Terrace close to Leeson St. The service will operate every 20 mins from 05.40 until 20.00 and then every 30mins until last service at 23.30

Route 109a: Kells – Navan – Dunshaughlin – Ratoath – Ashbourne – Dublin Airport

This route will continue to operate as at present and provide an hourly service 24/7

A summary of how these service enhancements will impact on your individual towns is outlined:

Navan
    • Navan to the City Centre – Your main service will be Route NX which will provide 98 daily services to/from the City Centre. Combined with Route 109a this will provide a 24/7 public transport link to the city.
    • Route 109 will continue to provide an hourly link to the City Centre via the R147.
    • Local linkages to Kells & Dunshaughlin – Route 109 & 109a will provide a service every 30mins for local trips between these towns and locations in between.
    • Dublin Airport – Route 109a will continue to provide an hourly service to Ratoath, Ashbourne & Dublin Airport 24/7

Dunshaughlin
    • Dunshaughlin to the City Centre – Your service to the city will be provided by Route 109 & 109B which will provide a service every 30mins throughout the day
    • Local linkages to Kells & Navan – Route 109 & 109a will provide a service every 30mins for local trips between these towns and locations in between.
    • Dublin Airport – Route 109a will continue to provide a service every 60 mins to/from Ratoath, Ashbourne & Dublin Airport 24/7

Kells
    • Kells to the City Centre – Your service to the city will be provided by Route 109 & 109x which will provide a service every 30 mins throughout the day to/from the city centre
    • Local linkages to Navan & Dunshaughlin – Route 109 & 109a will provide a service every 30mins for local trips between these towns and locations in between.
    • Dublin Airport – Route 109a will continue to provide a service every 60 mins to/from Ratoath, Ashbourne & Dublin Airport 24/7

Cavan & Virginia
    • Cavan & Virginia to the City Centre – Your service to the city will be provided by Route 109X which will provide a service every 60 mins throughout the day to/from the city centre with earlier and later departures.
    • The departure times from Cavan & Dublin will now be at 00.45 mins to the hour
    • Local linkages to Navan & Dunshaughlin – A limited number of Route 109x services will operate via Navan and at other times you can interchange onto Route 109 & 109a at Kells which will provide a service every 30mins for local trips between these towns and locations in between.

Services to the Mater Hospital
    As part of these service changes Route 109, 109x & XN will provide enhanced linkages to the Mater Hospital. However the location of stops for certain services will change:
    • Route 109 – This service will continue to serve the stops at Berkeley Rd & North Circular Rd.
    • Route 109X – This closest inbound stop to the Mater Hospital will be Phibsboro & outbound at Lower Dorset St. Both stops are a short walk to the hospital
    • Route NX – This closest inbound stop to the Mater Hospital will be Phibsboro & outbound at Lower Dorset St. Both stops are a short walk to the hospital

Services to Third Level Colleges
    All Route will provide close connectivity to numerous third level colleges including the following
    • Dublin City University – Route 109a operates directly to the university from Kells, Navan & Dunshaughlin. Customers from Cavan & Virginia can interchange onto this route in Kells.
    • Blanchardstown Institute of Technology – Route 109, 109x & NX all serve the Blanchardstown Slip Rd stop which is a short walk from the college.
    • Trinity College – Route NX stops at Westland Row adjacent to the University
    • University College Dublin – Certain Route 109 & 109x peak hour services operate direct to the campus
    • Dublin Institute of Technology – Route 109x & NX stop at Broadstone a short walk to both the Bolton St & Grangegorman Campuses, while all 3 routes stop at O’Connell St close to the Cathal Brugha Street Campus
    • All our city centre stops are located close to Dublin Bus & Luas stops to facilitate interchange on these services to travel to other third level institutions

If you have any feedback in relation to the revised service offering please forward your comments to customercare@buseireann.ie
    Bus reann would like to thank our customers for their continued support of the public transport network along the M3 Corridor and we look forward to welcoming you on board our improved services in the near future.

The service enhancements on Route’s 109, 109X & NX will be introduced on Sunday, 17 September 2017 and have been approved by the National Transport Authority.

Monday, 4th September, 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

NX seems a strange designation, thought NTA were trying to standardise route numbers nationally?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Overall a positive set of changes, and I'm saying this even though it discommodes me personally (I lose my evening services from Leeson St to Kells, but am happy to accept that NX will cater for majority of south city pax).

In strange point: since we are splitting out the services to given them unique numbers, it seems a shame to have the new short workings to Dunshaughlin called 109 - couldn't they be 109C. (Or even 109D).

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Conway635 wrote: »
    Overall a positive set of changes, and I'm saying this even though it discommodes me personally (I lose my evening services from Leeson St to Kells, but am happy to accept that NX will cater for majority of south city pax).

In strange point: since we are splitting out the services to given them unique numbers, it seems a shame to have the new short workings to Dunshaughlin called 109 - couldn't they be 109C. (Or even 109D).

C635

An interesting set of service changes for sure,quite a convoluted set of numbers and letters for regulars to get used to...I do feel your pain on the Leeson St-Kells loss,which was of itself,a recent enough development ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

AlekSmart wrote: »

C635

An interesting set of service changes for sure,quite a convoluted set of numbers and letters for regulars to get used to...I do feel your pain on the Leeson St-Kells loss,which was of itself,a recent enough development ?

Not sure how long the 109 has had these SSG trips, but I've been using it daily for 9 months now, and it has been much less stressful than driving, and very much less expensive too. The 5pm ex Wilton Tce was ideal for me most days, and the 6pm if I was late in work.

But I can't defend keeping them on - rarely more than 6 boarded at all of the stops before Busaras.

What would be really useful for those living beyond Navan would be some sort of transfer facility between NX and 109X in either direction, however the only place they meet is Blanch slip road where you either can't change on (inbound) or off (outbound) the respective routes.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

The whole Navan section seems odd, assume picks up Opp Ardboyne, proceeds out Old Dublin Road, around the roundabout, back towards Navan, then turn right to go up via Johnstown. Times on Timetable 1hr 10 minutes. Hugely optimistic for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

sofireland wrote: »
    The whole Navan section seems odd, assume picks up Opp Ardboyne, proceeds out Old Dublin Road, around the roundabout, back towards Navan, then turn right to go up via Johnstown. Times on Timetable 1hr 10 minutes. Hugely optimistic for me.

I'd imagine there will be a new stop for the NX before the junction at the Ardboyne, where it would then turn left to go towards Johnstown.

I cannot imagine that it would be doubling back on itself. That would make no sense.

Where are you getting 1 hr 10 mins (as in which route and where from and to)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

What's the proposed journey time on the NX from Navan-Dublin? I see it's back up the blanch slip road. M50 would be a concern because any sort of 'accident' nearly brings it to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Not sure how long the 109 has had these SSG trips, but I've been using it daily for 9 months now, and it has been much less stressful than driving, and very much less expensive too. The 5pm ex Wilton Tce was ideal for me most days, and the 6pm if I was late in work.

But I can't defend keeping them on - rarely more than 6 boarded at all of the stops before Busaras.

What would be really useful for those living beyond Navan would be some sort of transfer facility between NX and 109X in either direction, however the only place they meet is Blanch slip road where you either can't change on (inbound) or off (outbound) the respective routes.

C635

M3 Parkway station would be ideal, but that would involve joined up thinking of the sort that is now seemingly anathema to the CIE group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

About time these changes came in. Thank God anybody going from Cavan to Dublin won't have to endure sitting in traffic for 20 minutes plus when driving up the main street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I'd imagine there will be a new stop for the NX before the junction at the Ardboyne, where it would then turn left to go towards Johnstown.

I cannot imagine that it would be doubling back on itself. That would make no sense.

Where are you getting 1 hr 10 mins (as in which route and where from and to)?

Navan Opp Ardboyne to O Connell St NX route.

There are no signs of a new stop being created, and it would be further away from Ardboyne stop as is. On the 109a the bus goes out to the roundabout on the N2 and back on itself to service the stop at the pillo hotel, that's why I think they will do it that way. Unless of course there is a new stop put in place.

• Advertisement

tom23 wrote: »
    What's the proposed journey time on the NX from Navan-Dublin? I see it's back up the blanch slip road. M50 would be a concern because any sort of 'accident' nearly brings it to a halt.

The timetables are all linked to on the first post above.

Surely you could say the same about any main route into Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Dunshaughlin forgotten again. Commuters from Navan on express buses have shorter commute times and looks like that will continue

The timetables are all linked to on the first post above.

Surely you could say the same about any main route into Dublin?

Thanks missed that, I had a look, so journey times will be longer than the express which is currently in place. But there is more frequency. My guess is that they haven't a hope in hell of making that journey in that time so people will have to get the bus 20 minutes earlier.

As for the M50, not a day goes by when there is an incident on it. At least the trek down the Navan road is not to bad because of the BC. Its the old cabra road thats the problem. Regardless I dont use BE anymore but I hope these changes work for the sake of friends who still do and feel frustrated by the commute and the quality of service currently offered by BE at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

I have only had a glimpse at it but initially i dont think it's a good deal for Navan Monday to Friday commuters.

Journey times appear longer and they have totally done away with the excellent true expresses services and Port Tunnel is no longer being used.

It is serving a stop that doesn't yet exist ( good joined up thinking there)

Possibly there are advantages for Johnstown commuters as they service pretty much seems to focus around that area, could really be renamed the Johnstown express, but I think its swings and roundabouts to the extent that I cant see them getting near the times the have suggested in the timetables ( as has always been the case, you could usually add 15 minutes to the expected time of arrival) , so i think we are well on the way back to a 1hour 30 , which is a shame when the true expresses could do it in reasonably close to an hour

I know that there has been alot on social media about traffic congestion in Johnstown at certain times, again this doesn't seem to have been taken into account in any shape or form and they seem to be running buses through it at peak school hours

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/31/4140973-watch-drone-footage-shows-johnstown-school-traffic-snaking-back-17km/

Add in the fact that you are pretty much standing in the rain for the winter with no access to bus aras, and all in all, i hope i am wrong, but i think Sillian Tours are possibly going to be the big winners here , with bread and butter customers opting for them

I have only had a glimpse at it but initially i dont think it's a good deal for Navan Monday to Friday commuters.

Journey times appear longer and they have totally done away with the excellent true expresses services and Port Tunnel is no longer being used.

It is serving a stop that doesn't yet exist ( good joined up thinking there)

Possibly there are advantages for Johnstown commuters as they service pretty much seems to focus around that area, could really be renamed the Johnstown express, but I think its swings and roundabouts to the extent that I cant see them getting near the times the have suggested in the timetables ( as has always been the case, you could usually add 15 minutes to the expected time of arrival) , so i think we are well on the way back to a 1hour 30 , which is a shame when the true expresses could do it in reasonably close to an hour

I know that there has been alot on social media about traffic congestion in Johnstown at certain times, again this doesn't seem to have been taken into account in any shape or form and they seem to be running buses through it at peak school hours

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/31/4140973-watch-drone-footage-shows-johnstown-school-traffic-snaking-back-17km/

Add in the fact that you are pretty much standing in the rain for the winter with no access to bus aras, and all in all, i hope i am wrong, but i think Sillian Tours are possibly going to be the big winners here , with bread and butter customers opting for them

Im using Sillen and can't fault them. I had hope that BE / NTA would eventually put some sort of Bus Station into Navan by this stage but it seems unlikely. I hope these new bus times work out for folk, but with the new housing estate opening up on Kentstown Road and beside the Old Johnstown Village road its going to get a lot busier around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Quick question. My son travels from Navan to Cavan every Sunday evening. Now he'll have to get a bus to Kells and then get another bus to Cavan. Can he get 1 ticket that will do him for both trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

As said above it will inconvenience me slightly. Travelling from Virginia to Halfway house. Overall good service and more frequent buses but surely going out to Finglas will add on a good bit to the journey for those heading into the city?

chewed wrote: »
    Quick question. My son travels from Navan to Cavan every Sunday evening. Now he'll have to get a bus to Kells and then get another bus to Cavan. Can he get 1 ticket that will do him for both trips?

Yes he can continue to get a through ticket.

Just having another look at the 109x timetable. BE are still insisting that it only takes 25 minutes to get from Cavan Town to Virginia :):) However the 20 minute journey that it currently states it takes from Virginia to Kells has increased from 20 minutes to 35 :):) I think they meant to say that the 35 minutes is from Cavan to Virginia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

chewed wrote: »

Yes, of course.

A ticket can be bought between any two points on the network, even if you need 5 buses to travel between them

Same goes for IE.

• Advertisement

gazzer wrote: »
    Just having another look at the 109x timetable. BE are still insisting that it only takes 25 minutes to get from Cavan Town to Virginia :):) However the 20 minute journey that it currently states it takes from Virginia to Kells has increased from 20 minutes to 35 :):) I think they meant to say that the 35 minutes is from Cavan to Virginia.

The bus usually gets into Virginia between 7.25-7.30 have seen it earlier. I think the added time for Kells is:

The stop outside Virginia
    The Stop in Maghera
    The Stop at whitegate
    The 2 Stops in Carnoross
    Then the 3 in Kells. Some mornings it can be near 8.10
    getting onto the motorway after Kells

A quick question,

Will there be a link up at the Blanchardstown Slip road. As mentioned above my usual stop is the Halfway House.

The 109x to blanchardstown will have me in Blanch in an hour but from there could I get on the next 109 that comes along?
    Makes very little sense changing in Kells and going on a tour of Co Meath.
    If not what Dublin bus services if any serve the slip road

piplip87 wrote: »
    A quick question,

Will there be a link up at the Blanchardstown Slip road. As mentioned above my usual stop is the Halfway House.

The 109x to blanchardstown will have me in Blanch in an hour but from there could I get on the next 109 that comes along?
    Makes very little sense changing in Kells and going on a tour of Co Meath.
    If not what Dublin bus services if any serve the slip road

None that I know off (open to correction on that). You could walk to the Shopping Centre and get the 39A to the Halfway House. About a ten minute walk to the stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

So if you get the bus from the square you now have to endure a tour of Navan before leaving the town? There was nothing wrong with the way the current stops are, Market Square, Ardboyne, The Willows, etc then just go out on the motorway.

So if you get the bus from the square you now have to endure a tour of Navan before leaving the town? There was nothing wrong with the way the current stops are, Market Square, Ardboyne, The Willows, etc then just go out on the motorway.

If you take the NX, yes.

The 109 will stick to the old route but via the old road through Dunshaughlin.

I imagine there was demand for an increased service in the Johnstown area which has influenced the changes.

Like all public transport changes you'll never please everyone - there will always be winners and losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Like all public transport changes you'll never please everyone - there will always be winners and losers.

Very true. The 109's that serve Johnstown at the moment never seem to pick up or drop off many people. I've often used this bus and can only remember 1 or 2 people getting on/off.

Very true. The 109's that serve Johnstown at the moment never seem to pick up or drop off many people. I've often used this bus and can only remember 1 or 2 people getting on/off.

Well I'd imagine this is a conscious effort to encourage more people out of their cars and onto the bus service by the NTA.

Well I'd imagine this is a conscious effort to encourage more people out of their cars and onto the bus service by the NTA.

But not the train service, expensively built and left to its own devices. M3 Park-where?

On another note, anyone seen Noel Dempsey around Navan at all? He must be struggling with building that railway to Navan he was so confident of delivering ten years ago.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    But not the train service, expensively built and left to its own devices. M3 Park-where?

On another note, anyone seen Noel Dempsey around Navan at all? He must be struggling with building that railway to Navan he was so confident of delivering ten years ago.

Do you seriously think bussing people to a railway station to then get a train is going to get them out of their cars?

The more changes you add, the less appealing public transport becomes.

Add to that they would have to pay two fares, the fact that the trains are already jammed, and that the bus will take people directly to the south city centre.

You would also be lengthening the journey times for the people already using the bus who would be diverted to serve the rail station.

There's free parking at M3 Parkway as it is.

• Advertisement

Do you seriously think bussing people to a railway station to then get a train is going to get them out of their cars?

The more changes you add, the less appealing public transport becomes.

Add to that they would have to pay two fares, the fact that the trains are already jammed, and that the bus will take people directly to the south city centre.

You would also be lengthening the journey times for the people already using the bus who would be diverted to serve the rail station.

There's free parking at M3 Parkway as it is.

Do you seriously think that having no bus connections at all at M3 Parkway is a good thing?

I remember the integrated fares between the Kildare line and the 90 bus. Perhaps you don't? We might be forgiven for thinking that Bus Éireann and Irish Rail are wholly unconnected with each other in any way.

Advertisement