Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt on Northern Ireland import

• 05-09-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

If someone had purchased a 1988 car (registered on 1/1/88 in Northern Ireland and brought to Ireland and booked the vrt appointment but then cancelled it without bringing the car for inspection, would the car be on the revenue system and liable for fines if not registered on time? In theory I could have booked the inspection prior to buying the car and may have ended up not purchasing it?

I'm trying to delay the vrt until the new year when the car turns 30 years old as it will only be 200e.
    The v5 log book is not signed yet either. There is no proof that I ever purchased it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

If the V5 is still in the name of the previous owner (NI) then it's still registered there., and as far as we know ,still kept there and you didn't buy it after all.
    If the tax has run out and the car hasn't been sorned the previous owner may be liable when the car is eventually "sold" .
    Maybe you could arrange to have the previous owner deliver it to you on the 2 Jan 2018 with a hand written receipt.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

seeing as the sale was delayed and delivery couldn't be made in time for the VRT inspection, you had no choice but to wait for the next convenient date to complete the sale, which happens to be 2.1.18. You'll be Ok if thems the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

If you gave the details of the car to the VRT people then its on the system. If the car is still registered, MOT'd and taxed with the original owner in NI then you wont have an issue as the sale was cancelled and the seller is still the legal owner. If the seller sent in the paperwork to the DVLA or whoever to de-register the car then you could have an issue. You could be lucky as it can depend on the person behind the desk on the day!

I know of an Audi Quattro sitting in a garage having been brought to the revenue for inspection 12 years ago, the owner was given a hefty VRT bill and decided not to pay it and said he was bringing the car back to the UK but never did. Its nearly 30 years old now and he will have great fun trying to VRT it. Situations like this particular one are of interest to the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cul_rs

w124man wrote: »
    If you gave the details of the car to the VRT people then its on the system. If the car is still registered, MOT'd and taxed with the original owner in NI then you wont have an issue as the sale was cancelled and the seller is still the legal owner. If the seller sent in the paperwork to the DVLA or whoever to de-register the car then you could have an issue. You could be lucky as it can depend on the person behind the desk on the day!

I know of an Audi Quattro sitting in a garage having been brought to the revenue for inspection 12 years ago, the owner was given a hefty VRT bill and decided not to pay it and said he was bringing the car back to the UK but never did. Its nearly 30 years old now and he will have great fun trying to VRT it. Situations like this particular one are of interest to the revenue.

The previous owner has sent the form back to dvla. I did ring the nct center and gave reg details but I have not yet physically brought it in for inspection as I cancelled it.
    Surely I could have booked the inspection before finalizing the sale? It takes long enough to get a booking so I wanted to get ahead of the game?? :-)
    In the audi's case he brought it for inspection so at that point it's bound to be on the system.

Isambard wrote: »
    seeing as the sale was delayed and delivery couldn't be made in time for the VRT inspection, you had no choice but to wait for the next convenient date to complete the sale, which happens to be 2.1.18. You'll be Ok if thems the facts.

I tend to agree with you. I hope your right. However it's just a matter of trying to explain it and hope they buy it......

• Advertisement

tom petty wrote: »
    If the V5 is still in the name of the previous owner (NI) then it's still registered there., and as far as we know ,still kept there and you didn't buy it after all.
    If the tax has run out and the car hasn't been sorned the previous owner may be liable when the car is eventually "sold" .
    Maybe you could arrange to have the previous owner deliver it to you on the 2 Jan 2018 with a hand written receipt.........

The v5 was not signed by me. The previous owner did take the 'export Section' and filled it in and returned it.

Do revenue here check with dvla or have any interaction with them or the tax system in the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,348 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is there VRT on a classic car.

200e flat rate once it's 30 years or older

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭conor2469

w124man wrote: »

I have wondered this myself. What is to stop him selling it someone up north, then buying it back again and bringing it for VRT inspection?

200e flat rate once it's 30 years or older

• Advertisement

Yet again we say, don't buy a UK car without getting the V5C in your hand.

Now it means there is a paper trail showing when you bought it. It doesn't prove when you brought it into the Country.

I would just book the appointment in January and turn up hoping they wont investigate, and carry a handwritten receipt showing purchase the day before .

I have the v5 in my hand.

i probably misunderstood, but you said in post 5 he had sent the form off. I guess you mean the export slip which is meant for the owner himself to export the car, not relevant here.

Yep the export section was sent away, I have everything else and it's not yet signed and dated.

My only issue is the fact that I already booked a vrt inspection date giving the car reg and then cancelled it 5 days prior. But I'm assuming that that is no proof that I actually owed or had the car in Ireland. I could have booked the vrt date in anticipation of buying the car but it turned out the car was 'not yet ready' to be sold.

I think if I turn up in Jan with the car and date the receipt or purchase and v5 as a Jan 2018 date I should be ok.

Yep the export section was sent away, I have everything else and it's not yet signed and dated.

My only issue is the fact that I already booked a vrt inspection date giving the car reg and then cancelled it 5 days prior. But I'm assuming that that is no proof that I actually owed or had the car in Ireland. I could have booked the vrt date in anticipation of buying the car but it turned out the car was 'not yet ready' to be sold.

I think if I turn up in Jan with the car and date the receipt or purchase and v5 as a Jan 2018 date I should be ok.

i think I agree with you.Bets keep it of the road until then though

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

How long is it since you booked but didn't appear for the VRT inspection ..?

tom petty wrote: »
    How long is it since you booked but didn't appear for the VRT inspection ..?

Booked it and cancelled it 4 days before it. Only last week. So there will be a penalty for late cancellation the next time I come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cul_rs wrote: »
    Booked it and cancelled it 4 days before it. Only last week. So there will be a penalty for late cancellation the next time I come

The paper trail (in electronic form) has been started. If you bring it in next January they will be very sceptical that you had not bought it when you made the appointment. You will be asked for proof of where you kept it outside Ireland. You won't be able to provide it. Is there that much VRT? A simple car check (for free) in the U.K. Will establish that it has been deregistered there.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The paper trail (in electronic form) has been started. If you bring it in next January they will be very sceptical that you had not bought it when you made the appointment. You will be asked for proof of where you kept it outside Ireland. You won't be able to provide it. Is there that much VRT? A simple car check (for free) in the U.K. Will establish that it has been deregistered there.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, I'm after creating a trail.

I don't know what the vrt will be as the car model is not on the website and they couldn't tell me over the phone. If I bring it down they could class it as a collector car and charge me a fortune could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What car is it? The minimum VRT due is €720 when the car is not yet 30 years old. But if the NCTS reckon it's worth 20k, then your VRT bill is over 7 grand!

unkel wrote: »
    What car is it? The minimum VRT due is €720 when the car is not yet 30 years old. But if the NCTS reckon it's worth 20k, then your VRT bill is over 7 grand!

The previous owner has said that he will store the car for me in Northern Ireland address until January and will allow me give his address and number to prove it.

I think I'm ok......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cul_rs wrote: »
    The previous owner has said that he will "store " the car for me in Northern Ireland address until January and will allow me give his address and number to prove it.

I think I'm ok......

Delete the ********** in your post above is my advice...

Not your ornery onager

I think maybe you should register it in your wife's name (if you have one) in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dawson176

Hi

I have the same issue, well similar, i bought a 29 year old car last June in Northern Ireland which i planned to bring down south however i had mechanical issues after about 20 minutes of driving and turns out it was the engine which was goosed- i kinda knew this when buying it but hoped to get more out of it. I kept the car in the north at a mates garage while sourcing another engine and in the interim i asked the DVLA if there would be any issues if i was asked to pay penalties in the south could they provide an updated V5C form as it stated it was imported in June 2018- i was told that they would provide a import cert for me stating the correct dates however when i rang them yesterday they said they could not.
    Now the V5C form states it was imported in June but i have a letter from the garage stating the car was in their yard until this week due to mechanical issues and delays in sourcing parts-i called to the VRT office and explained my case and they were helpful and said they would see what they could do- I hope im ok as the car will not be worth importing if i have to pay fines etc aswell.

Hope you get on ok buddy

how does the V5C come to show that? If you intended to export it on purchase or after, you should have got the V5C off the seller and presented it (eventually) to the NCTS. What address does the V5C show? How did you get it back from the DVLA? There's something doesn't make sense here

You'll just have to tell them the facts and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dawson176

This was my first time importing a car so i may have made a mistake- the previous owner sent the V5C form to the DVLA who wrote back to me stating that as the car was due to the exported they couldnt offer a new V5C form and instead stamped the form with "Export June 2018" on it which is why i rang them after having the mechanical issue.
    I rang them and stated that due to this stamp there would be questions when i brought it down to the south which is when they offered the import cert which i thought great this will avoid any confusion. Yesterday they informed me that they would not offer such a document and neither restamp the V5C form so my only option is to discuss this with the southern authorities. When the previous owner sent off the form it had my southern home address on it which is how they sent it to me.

• Advertisement

Oh well, having got to this point due to the error,there's not much you can do except provide the NCTS with as much evidence as you can of the date it actually was imported and where it was stored.

Advertisement