Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva Premiership 2017/18 - Live on BT Sport/Highlights on Channel 5

• 03-09-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

I don't think there is a thread on this.

Highlights are on Channel 5 on Sundays at 8pm. The channel is in HD on freesat.

Saracens thumped Northampton Saints playing some great flowing rugby.

Newcastle are also improving.

London Irish are also back in the top division.

Here is a link to the teams involved and the transfers in and out.

Players coming in include Faf de Klerk, Maxime Mermoz, Dominic Ryan from Leinster, Francis Saili from Munster, Liam Williams, James O'Connor and a good few players from the SH.

So plenty of talent on show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Anyone see how Dominic Ryan got on playing 6 for Leicester the other day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Anyone see how Dominic Ryan got on playing 6 for Leicester the other day?

Leicester were beaten at home by Bath. He played at 6 but the highlights only showed him in one move.

One thing I don't like about the highlights programme is that they don't show the team names beforehand. It leaves you trying to find players on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Full match replays are available on the premiership site.

Full match replays are available on the premiership site.

Highlights are also on android app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Very similar highlights show to ITV's one over last few seasons. On at same time with same presenter and his excellent sidekick. Only difference apart from the channel change seems to be no repeat show on Channel 5. For those who cannot get download from Demand Five as pointed out Aviva Premiership website has excellent highlights of every game.

• Advertisement

Very similar highlights show to ITV's one over last few seasons. On at same time with same presenter and his excellent sidekick. Only difference apart from the channel change seems to be no repeat show on Channel 5. For those who cannot get download from Demand Five as pointed out Aviva Premiership website has excellent highlights of every game.

The same production company are producing the highlights show - thus the same presenters.

The highlights can also be viewed on the Aviva Premiership youtube page.

I have to say the play from last weekend was excellent - some great handling and offloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Robert Kitson in the Guardian has wrote a rather clickbait piece on the 'English Club game, trump's all other global leagues' following one weekend of action.

Amusing inaccuracies and sweeping generalisations abound but he receives the reaction he wanted in the comments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kitson is normally a good journalist, always came across as very measured and balanced when he's on newstalk

EDIT: I've just read it. Its brash but I don't see the inaccuracy or sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Kitson is normally a good journalist, always came across as very measured and balanced when he's on newstalk

EDIT: I've just read it. Its brash but I don't see the inaccuracy or sweeping generalisation.
    I didn't think you would and to be honest I can't be arsed going through it line by line to point them out. Life's to short and i have work to do.

OldRio wrote: »
    I didn't think you would and to be honest I can't be arsed going through it line by line to point them out. Life's to short and i have work to do.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

OldRio wrote: »

The only issue I'd take with it is the "aren't we so much better than the Pro12 and their accountants" BS. Yeah it's a bit of a self congratulatory article, and reminiscent of an article I read in a Welsh outlet a few years ago about how wonderful they were after Week 1 (prior to them tailing off badly as the season wore on). But ultimately it's looking to put a positive spin on their league. I'd love to see more of that here.

That he has shown no appreciation for the complexities and the context around the Pro14 is annoying, but also unsurprising really. We wouldn't be so worried about the "spreadsheets" had the English and French not gone there first. And we need to operate very differently because we're smaller. But it would take thought to realise that. He's clearly too busy doing a Venjur. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Super14 score buckets of tries = soft defense.

Aviva premiership scores buckets of tries = best league in the world.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAi7j98_GkVUbIOMj7VF2fCt6fKikItpevbMGLnq4pZWXygf8npNTo8r0

molloyjh wrote: »
    The only issue I'd take with it is the "aren't we so much better than the Pro12 and their accountants" BS. Yeah it's a bit of a self congratulatory article, and reminiscent of an article I read in a Welsh outlet a few years ago about how wonderful they were after Week 1 (prior to them tailing off badly as the season wore on). But ultimately it's looking to put a positive spin on their league. I'd love to see more of that here.

That he has shown no appreciation for the complexities and the context around the Pro14 is annoying, but also unsurprising really. We wouldn't be so worried about the "spreadsheets" had the English and French not gone there first. And we need to operate very differently because we're smaller. But it would take thought to realise that. He's clearly too busy doing a Venjur. :D

There's a few things he's omitted. He talks about the fact that Premiership attendances have tripled but I'd say our own attendances have trended equally. Plus we do also benefit from local rivalries in every nation that's in the Pro 14. And some of the rivalries are better than anything they've got in the Premiership, Newcastle and Sale for example really don't have that going for them because they're so remote of any other side.

But it's pretty obvious that the Pro 14's expansion is entirely financially motivated. We shouldn't really try to pretend it isn't. Kitson isn't saying that the Premiership is economically sounder than the Pro 14 either, he specifically says the optimists haven't been economically vindicated. Kitson is a good source for criticism on the economic perils of the Premiership, he did a good article on Gloucester before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Worchester are looking for an "investor". They have posted £16m in losses over the past 3 seasons.

A loss making investment opportunity with unsecured revenue streams (relegation). More like a benefactor than an investor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

It seems very early in the season to be announcing such a move.

There is also the possibility of Mallinder getting the boot if their form doesn't pick up. His son is also a very good prospect there.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

It seems very early in the season to be announcing such a move.

There is also the possibility of Mallinder getting the boot if their form doesn't pick up. His son is also a very good prospect there.

It's been rumored for ages, better to announce it now than getting 20 questions over your future between now and the six nations.

I've H Mallinder down as more of a center. When he stepped in at 10 during the 20's WC I thought England lost quite a bit from their attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bath looking decent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bath just beat Saracens.

They were behind with 5 minutes to go when Rokoduguni magicked a try from nowhere. Took the ball as first receiver from a scrum about 40 metres out. Sidestepped two defenders and scored at the corner. That put them 3 points up. Saracens started barrelling into Bath. On the 80th minutes they made a break and got into the 22. Bath's defence held well, they forced a pass which Roko intercepted and he ran 10 metres from his own line to the Saracens try line.

Advertisement