Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Varetinha

hi wondering if anyone has any advice.
    My girlfriend applied for the de facto visa in  early May (her: non EU, me: Irish). However her current visa will expire September. So de facto application unlikely to be processed by then. 
    We have an appointment with GNIB in August and we hope to get an extension pending de facto outcome.
    Can anyone advise if this is the best course of action or should we contact de facto section of INIS directly as some have suggested here?
    thanks in advance.

Hi in the explanatory leaflet they advise to write a letter to the de facto department seeking permission to remain in case the applicant's visa expires. In this case you can get a stamp 3 permission which doesn't allow you to work.

Knowing the immigration and having seen many people not getting their visa extended even when they are getting married, I think you won't get anything going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

My girlfriend applied for the de facto visa and they were actually quite quick in getting back to us - less than a month I think. Unfortunately the visa was denied, despite the very large quantity of evidence we provided to prove we were in a long-term, stable relationship. I'd love to hear how you get on with this as we might re-apply. There's a chance you will get your reply before her visa expires, especially if it expires towards the end of sept.

My girlfriend applied for the de facto visa and they were actually quite quick in getting back to us - less than a month I think. Unfortunately the visa was denied, despite the very large quantity of evidence we provided to prove we were in a long-term, stable relationship. I'd love to hear how you get on with this as we might re-apply. There's a chance you will get your reply before her visa expires, especially if it expires towards the end of sept.

Did they give you a reason why it was denied? I thought you would be able to appeal in some cases. I just applied and they sent me a letter saying that they deal with the applications in chronological order, and at the moment they are reviewing the applications from March. So I don't think you'll have an answer before september.

Varetinha wrote: »
    Did they give you a reason why it was denied? I thought you would be able to appeal in some cases. I just applied and they sent me a letter saying that they deal with the applications in chronological order, and at the moment they are reviewing the applications from March. So I don't think you'll have an answer before september.

The letter was fairly vague. It said they accepted our relationship was genuine but they said it wasn't akin to marriage , whatever that means. It's ludicrous really because we're together 10 yrs and living together for a 3-4 (2 out of ireland). We will re-apply again now soon I think with some more "evidence". It would be great to hear how others get on. What have you provided as proof or relationship?

The letter was fairly vague. It said they accepted our relationship was genuine but they said it wasn't akin to marriage , whatever that means. It's ludicrous really because we're together 10 yrs and living together for a 3-4 (2 out of ireland). We will re-apply again now soon I think with some more "evidence". It would be great to hear how others get on. What have you provided as proof or relationship?

That's strange, are you Irish or own another european passport? I know that they are two different cases.

I think you can appeal anyway saying why you think the decision is unfair.

I provided proof of address for both of us, bank statements showing money transactions between our accounts, joint account, dated pictures, facebook, instagram, whatsapp prints, text messages and calls for the entire length of our relationship.

• Advertisement

That's strange, are you Irish or own another european passport? I know that they are two different cases.

I think you can appeal anyway saying why you think the decision is unfair.

I provided proof of address for both of us, bank statements showing money transactions between our accounts, joint account, dated pictures, facebook, instagram, whatsapp prints, text messages and calls for the entire length of our relationship.

I'm Irish. We provided loads and loads of photos, emails, money transfers between us, flights we took together. The thing was we were living in her family home for two years so maybe they didn't see that as being "akin" to marriage, which is very unfair I think. We will appeal it and provide some more evidence this time. We're trying to open a joint account now but the bank are being difficult about her proof of address, too. Life is made difficult for non EU citizens at every turn. Our case is 100% genuine yet we can't get a break from anyone - banks, government, etc etc. I have to laugh when I hear the Irish government are calling for an amnesty for undocumented citizens in the US. Hopefully we can get sorted with the de facto within the next few months. She has renewed her english student visa for the last time so we need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

You need to pay to get that stamp 3 ? if you come from a stamp 2 ?

I'm Irish. We provided loads and loads of photos, emails, money transfers between us, flights we took together. The thing was we were living in her family home for two years so maybe they didn't see that as being "akin" to marriage, which is very unfair I think. We will appeal it and provide some more evidence this time. We're trying to open a joint account now but the bank are being difficult about her proof of address, too. Life is made difficult for non EU citizens at every turn. Our case is 100% genuine yet we can't get a break from anyone - banks, government, etc etc. I have to laugh when I hear the Irish government are calling for an amnesty for undocumented citizens in the US. Hopefully we can get sorted with the de facto within the next few months. She has renewed her english student visa for the last time so we need it.

Oh right now I see. Yeah I saw many cases that were denied in this basis "living with parents" somehow they think if you live with a family member it's not a relationship akin to marriage. Anyway I spoke to some people in the same case (me included) and also to a lady who works in migrants rights and they were very positive about it, all of them got their visa after appeal.

I know all about it, I'm non-eu and my partner is Irish and I'm in my last english visa.

I'd appeal saying that you were more than able to support yourselves.

Best of luck!

I don't get the moral of all this, we could get married and bypass these st*p*d requirements for the de-facto one. Could be a kind of government joke? To offer something that it's impossible to get?

Oh right now I see. Yeah I saw many cases that were denied in this basis "living with parents" somehow they think if you live with a family member it's not a relationship akin to marriage. Anyway I spoke to some people in the same case (me included) and also to a lady who works in migrants rights and they were very positive about it, all of them got their visa after appeal.

I know all about it, I'm non-eu and my partner is Irish and I'm in my last english visa.

I'd appeal saying that you were more than able to support yourselves.

Best of luck!

thanks for the info. so, we're in the same situation. I hope you get sorted and would love to hear about how it goes for you. I think it's awful that they don't take into account living with family, especially when property prices are so high in ireland now . I mean, all we are trying to do is save money for a future. Best of luck!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 fmt38

Hi,
    I'm Irish and my boyfriend is Brazilian. We went to see an immigration lawyer who looked over our documents for the de facto visa application and she said it looked great and there would be no reason why it should be rejected. We sent in everything at the beginning of December 2016 and we are still waiting to hear back to see if the application has been approved. It's been so long! Started to get anxious now......

fmt38 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm Irish and my boyfriend is Brazilian. We went to see an immigration lawyer who looked over our documents for the de facto visa application and she said it looked great and there would be no reason why it should be rejected. We sent in everything at the beginning of December 2016 and we are still waiting to hear back to see if the application has been approved. It's been so long! Started to get anxious now......
    Hi, that is a very long time, did you have to do anything with the visa of your partner? Updated it or extended it?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Hi,
    Yes, it does seem quite long even with the lengthy processing times. Have you receicved any contact from INIS at all,
    such as a letter acknowledging receipt of your application or a request from them for further doucments?
    Might be no harm to get on to them for an update.

We received an acknowledgement letter not long after we applied and we have not been asked for any other documents.
    I'm going to e-mail INIS with our reference number and hope we hear back soon.

Today I received an email from Cross Care saying that INIS has changed the lenght of time the couple need to be living together from one year to two years. Although, they don't know yet what they are going to do with the application from april to september this year.

Early in 2017 the De Facto Immigration Permission for partners of Irish nationals was revised to:
    Relax the criteria around the issue of couples living with parents
    Reduce the co-habitation requirement down to 1 year
    This revised scheme was kept under review over the last few months and it has now been decided that the co-habitation requirement will revert to 2 years.
    This is to ensure consistency with other immigration schemes, such as the EU Treaty Rights De Facto Scheme. The issue of living with parents will be kept under review.
    This change is effective from 1 September 2017. Information and application forms on this website have been updated accordingly.

I just got an e-mail back from INIS saying that they had made a decision in December and that they sent out a letter. We never received anything in the post! They are going to send out a copy this week. That means they had made a decision really quickly. Fingers crossed it's good news!

I just got an e-mail back from INIS saying that they had made a decision in December and that they sent out a letter. We never received anything in the post! They are going to send out a copy this week. That means they had made a decision really quickly. Fingers crossed it's good news!
    good luck!

That was really quick, keep us updated please. Just wondering have yous lived with parents or anything?

Best of luck!

I still can't believe we never got the letter....we have been wondering and waiting for months!! We should have contacted them sooner. We've always lived together at my own place.

Hi guys, any (good) news? I emailed them again last week and they are revising applications from May... it's been so long, no wonder why people end up getting married, such a stressful experience!

• Advertisement

hey Varetinha!! Ive been meaning to update you. We were waiting on stuff from the bank and utility bills to use as proof. We've just got everything sorted so will be sending everything off this week. Sounds like we should get a move on anyway! when did you send yours away again?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Would like to share our story (partner and I) as we have found this thread helpful and thanks to all who contribute.
    OH (non-EU) applied for de-facto early May. Received a request for further/updated documents early September (health insurance,pay slips, bank a/c statements, utility bills despite the fact we had submitted all of this in original application). Approx 2 weeks later i.e mid September got the letter saying defacto/stamp 4 was granted. So very happy. All in all for us process took about 4.5 months. 
    we sent a load of photos of us at various events/holidays and a load a of screen grabs from fb, whatsapp, email etc.
    Kind of bizarre when you think of it- someone in an office in tipperary or wherever  sifting through someones personal life and trying to ascertain if its a legit relationship.. what a job.. but that's the way the system is and prob  not gonna change anytime soon.
     Best of luck to everyone who has applied.

Would like to share our story (partner and I) as we have found this thread helpful and thanks to all who contribute.
    OH (non-EU) applied for de-facto early May. Received a request for further/updated documents early September (health insurance,pay slips, bank a/c statements, utility bills despite the fact we had submitted all of this in original application). Approx 2 weeks later i.e mid September got the letter saying defacto/stamp 4 was granted. So very happy. All in all for us process took about 4.5 months. 
    we sent a load of photos of us at various events/holidays and a load a of screen grabs from fb, whatsapp, email etc.
    Kind of bizarre when you think of it- someone in an office in tipperary or wherever  sifting through someones personal life and trying to ascertain if its a legit relationship.. what a job.. but that's the way the system is and prob  not gonna change anytime soon.
     Best of luck to everyone who has applied.

Congratulations! Thanks for filling us in. You must feel so relieved. We have similar proof to you so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RavenV

caitcakes wrote: »
    Hi All!

Wondering what type of insurance you've purchased? I've already submitted my de facto application and already remain in the state. I am a US citizen but have been granted a permission to stay while my application processes. I have to go into the Garda and bring proof of insurance in order to register and am not sure what type to get. I've looked into Travel Nomads as they offer insurance if you are already abroad but is travel insurance adequate? Would love any advice or past experiences as what is acceptable!!! Did you submit insurance with your application? If so, what kind and should I submit to INIS once I purchase? Thanks again!!!!

Hello, I was wondering if you can help me, you mention that you were granted permission to stay while your application is processed... can you tell me how you did this? Did you ask them for the stamp 3? Is it better to email them or go to their office??

Than you!

RavenV wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering if you can help me, you mention that you were granted permission to stay while your application is processed... can you tell me how you did this? Did you ask them for the stamp 3? Is it better to email them or go to their office??

Than you!

Both, I asked for the stamp 3, first, by email to the person who is in charge of my application, once I received an answer by post, I had to make an appointment in the GNIB office and with the letter that says that you were granted an stamp 3, you go there I get yours. They are asking for a full medical insurance now.
    Good luck

Hey guys, I have to update this conversation, two days ago after have been waiting since june, I received the Stamp 4. It took a while and a couple of letters needed to be sent to immigration officers, but it's worth.
    Something that I would like to put the emphasis on it's that the fact that you are living temporarily with your partner's parents doesn't affect to the final decision of getting a stamp 4.
    So keep trying and best of luck to you all.

lynvoh wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have to update this conversation, two days ago after have been waiting since june, I received the Stamp 4. It took a while and a couple of letters needed to be sent to immigration officers, but it's worth.
    Something that I would like to put the emphasis on it's that the fact that you are living temporarily with your partner's parents doesn't affect to the final decision of getting a stamp 4.
    So keep trying and best of luck to you all.

Oh that's brilliant, congrats!

Did you apply in the end or beginning of June? Just wondering if they are getting any close to my application 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Hi Guys,

The below is just to give you an idea on timelines of how long the process took my partner and I.

Application received by INIS: 09/06/2017
    Request for confirmation of information (same as sheepondrugs above): 17/10/2017
    Approval of application/granting of visa: 02/11/2017

Just under 5 months from start to finish which is shorter than what we had been told to expect but did fit into the extension that had been granted for my partners Stamp 3.

Happy that we have finally got it granted, takes a lot of stress off both of us.

Oh that's brilliant, congrats!

Did you apply in the end or beginning of June? Just wondering if they are getting any close to my application ��

beginning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Niall1992

Hi All,

Myself (Irish) and my boyfriend (Brazilian) want to apply for a de vacto visa. We met in May 2016 and started living together in May 2017.

Is the requirement that you must be living together for at least two years still in place?

We are not sure of any alternative (Other than marriage of course) as his final student visa expires in May 2018.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement