Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Match day

• 05-09-2017 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

After attending the game on Sunday. I know the matches are the main part of the day but i have to say the rest of the day in Croke Park is pretty awful. Everything avout the day is so rushed. The 25 year team were in and out without anyone realising. The build up after the minor game was a few guys waving flags and no real sense of occasion for the teams entering the pitch then when they were warming up they had some guy doing impressions over the loudspeakers from Colm ORourke to Chris Eubank!!! Then that brings me to half time. They put on one guy with a guitar singing a sombre ballad. Whos idea was that!!

Who is in charge of this part of the day cause its pure awful. Its all ireland final day it should have the extra stuff going on to match the game itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

kilns wrote: »
    After attending the game on Sunday. I know the matches are the main part of the day but i have to say the rest of the day in Croke Park is pretty awful. Everything avout the day is so rushed. The 25 year team were in and out without anyone realising. The build up after the minor game was a few guys waving flags and no real sense of occasion for the teams entering the pitch then when they were warming up they had some guy doing impressions over the loudspeakers from Colm ORourke to Chris Eubank!!! Then that brings me to half time. They put on one guy with a guitar singing a sombre ballad. Whos idea was that!!

Who is in charge of this part of the day cause its pure awful. Its all ireland final day it should have the extra stuff going on to match the game itself.

The first song your man played at half time was pretty awful to be fair. It was like a lullaby. Poc ar buile was a little more lively. I thought the young band that played at half time in the minor were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I agree. They double the prices for All-Ireland. Can well afford to put something a lot more memorable on. I don’t mean U2 status, but something like Cranberries belting out Zombie, or Kodaline, Christy Moore etc. I know it’s not a gig that we’re going to, but at least spice it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

And the fireworks and streamers at the end seem like a cheap after thought too
    I wouldnt be surprised if Marty Morrissey organises the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't know.....I can't disagree with anything you said... But the excitement is on the sport itself, the build up, the preparation, the excitement in the car or bus journey, the debate in half time etc... Personally I don't want to be distracted by entertainment... Admittedly the fireworks at the we end could be better... Ad in a few of those flamethrowers that they use in rugby maybe.... Or replace the serious m musicians with sing along folk song singers or something....... But for the love of God I don't want to go down a route where entertainment is driven by announcers and people being told to cheer by but screens etc

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I don't know.....I can't disagree with anything you said... But the excitement is on the sport itself, the build up, the preparation, the excitement in the car or bus journey, the debate in half time etc... Personally I don't want to be distracted by entertainment... Admittedly the fireworks at the we end could be better... Ad in a few of those flamethrowers that they use in rugby maybe.... Or replace the serious m musicians with sing along folk song singers or something....... But for the love of God I don't want to go down a route where entertainment is driven by announcers and people being told to cheer by but screens etc

I think all true gaa fans would agree with what you said. no one wants to go down the road of a massive entertainment show built around the match. The match is 100% the main attraction and always should be but i still think croke park could spruce things up a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

kilns wrote: »

So had they still the audio advertisement bombardment that they usually have on at half time of games (amplified to a similar level to a action movie sonic weapon) or did they stop that for the music....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I agree with Kilns the AI final is a showcase for everybody in Ireland and beyond. They charge bloody well enough for semi final tickets never mind the Finals.

I will compare it to SuperBowl sunday in USA. The build up to it is fantastic, people that have no idea about football get involved. Everything from street parties to bars putting on food and snacks.
    Non stop media for the weeks leading up to it help.

Media in Ireland are too busy pushing the premiership and rugby to be bothered about their own indigenous sports.
    But that comes from the top down and when the top want rugby pushed, its gets pushed whether the buying public want it or not.

I remember reading more about leinster schools rugby than all ireland club games.

I'm not having a dig at rugby by any means, I love the game and played when younger.
    What I don't like is the constant pushing of it when it really is a minority sport just cos the sponsors value it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

If a major band played on all ireland final day, a lot of people who get tickets and have no interest in the hurling will just go for the entertainment. Those same people at the moment letting go of tickets is the reason a lot of us genuine followers are able to go! I wanted to see Galway win, to hell with the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At the Waterford homecoming last night the organisers decided that playing a Saw Doctors song while the team arrive was a good idea ???

Seriously it's scary how out of touch some of these GAA organisers are

Advertisement