Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo Curse.

• 04-09-2017 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

So we are getting to that time of the year, When plenty of talk will come of the '51 Curse.

What does people make of this and views in point, rarely up north do we hear anyone's take on it and when we do majority laugh it off as an excuse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

The problem with the curse theory is if they were to win it this year. It means it's a load of bollix and they were not good enough in previous year. If they don't win they can fall back on the curse excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You need to be an idiot to try and blame a curse for your bad performance in a game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

racso1975 wrote: »
    The problem with the curse theory is if they were to win it this year. It means it's a load of bollix and they were not good enough in previous year. If they don't win they can fall back on the curse excuse.

Yeah I was thinking what happens if they win it before the deaths of all '51 panel. Just shows them to be bottle jobs previous.

Effects wrote: »
    You need to be an idiot to try and blame a curse for your bad performance in a game of football.

That's the view in this part of the island but a lot over the west subscribe to jt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭threeball

LENNY86 wrote: »
    That's the view in this part of the island but a lot over the west subscribe to jt

Anyone who does is a simpleton. Its very disrespectful to those players who won Mayos last all Ireland and upsetting for their families I'd imagine when you have idiots like we had here last year saying that the sooner they die the better.
    You have to have a seriously twisted mentality if you'd wish death on a person so you can win a football match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

racso1975 wrote: »

I don't think any Mayo players use it as an excuse.

It's just become a joke thing part of the lore around Mayo's interminable journey towards the promised land rather than anything serious.

threeball wrote: »

Anyone who does is a simpleton. Its very disrespectful to those players who won Mayos last all Ireland and upsetting for their families I'd imagine when you have idiots like we had here last year saying that the sooner they die the better.
    You have to have a seriously twisted mentality if you'd wish death on a person so you can win a football match.

Totally agree with everything you have said I started this to see if mayo men and ladies
    Believed in it when its disputed by so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The team just needs to fall over the line once and get it off their backs. To be honest the current crop are probably very unlucky to be around at the same time as possibly the best team to ever play the game, Dublin, or they may have got one under their belts already. It's more a mental thing than a curse.

rpurfield wrote: »
    The team just needs to fall over the line once and get it off their backs. To be honest the current crop are probably very unlucky to be around at the same time as possibly the best team to ever play the game, Dublin, or they may have got one under their belts already. It's more a mental thing than a curse.

Dublin team is the greatest to play the game in my life time for mid 30s. I've never seen a team, so skilful, fluid, athletic and have a fight in them when backs to the wall. Their bench is unbelievably strog

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not really,it's just a bit of a laugh to the vast majority, anyone who actually thinks it's real probably has bigger issues than their county not winning the all Ireland.. Leprechauns and Banshees are not widely held as being real in the west either just so you're aware :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Pure nonsense! And you'll find most Mayo GAA supporters feel the same way. The media has given this story far too much attention over the years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Ah yes 'bottle jobs'

I find it strange how nobody claims Kerry and Tyrone bottled the semi finals, or how Dublin bottled it against Donegal in 14 and Mayo in 12, especially when they were runaway favourites in both games. Is there some criteria for bottle job designation that Im missing?

Ah yes 'bottle jobs'

I find it strange how nobody claims Kerry and Tyrone bottled the semi finals, or how Dublin bottled it against Donegal in 14 and Mayo in 12, especially when they were runaway favourites in both games. Is there some criteria for bottle job designation that Im missing?

Yes be from the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not really,it's just a bit of a laugh to the vast majority, anyone who actually thinks it's real probably has bigger issues than their county not winning the all Ireland.. Leprechauns and Banshees are not widely held as being real in the west either just so you're aware :pac:

Absolutely , sure everyone knows they're extinct.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Absolutely , sure everyone knows they're extinct.

Yep, Cromwell cleared them out along with the wolves. :mad:

Yes be from the west

Dont get me wrong. Its obvious you are in a wind up here. Im more raising the question to people in general rather than yourself

Yes be from the west

Dont get me wrong. Its obvious you are in a wind up here. Im more raising the question to people in general rather than yourself

I was just carrying on saying a bottle job. I've posted this as on the way from Dublin yesterday home to Ulster a man maybe late 60s tried to convince me that this curse was the reason behind the failings of the current crop.

I watched a small documentary which discussed it last night and wanted to see was it general consensus

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

You would think a curse exists the way finals have gone. We should have won in 96 but for a freakish last minute point from Meath. Then 2 own goals in last year's final. The rest of the finals we just weren't good enough. A few of the older people I know believe in the curse however it is clear the alleged incident which led to the curse did not happen. Sometimes you just need that little rub of the green to make a difference and hopefully we can put this curse nonsense to bed in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The only curse is that of coming up through Connaught championships. Once they get past that then the tough opposition shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Effects wrote: »

And who would these idiots be?

No Mayo person I know blames the fictional curse for defeats.

Its mostly idiots in the media who cite it. There was no funeral on the day in question, no priest, no curse, and some idiot made it all up about 15 years ago.

The story is also disrespectful to the surviving members of the 1951 team who deserve better than this sh*te.

Why some people feel a need to start threads about a non existent curse is beyond me.

And who would these idiots be?

No Mayo person I know blames the fictional curse for defeats.

Its mostly idiots in the media who cite it. There was no funeral on the day in question, no priest, no curse, and some idiot made it all up about 15 years ago.

The story is also disrespectful to the surviving members of the 1951 team who deserve better than this sh*te.

Why some people feel a need to start threads about a non existent curse is beyond me.

Beyond you? But yet you replied. Okaaay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The only curse is that of coming up through Connaught championships. Once they get past that then the tough opposition shows up.

As opposed to all the super powers and strength in depth of the other provinces :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

In recent years the Connacht championship has generally been superior to the Leinster championship.

Anyway, to reach finals, whether through the back door or not, Mayo have to beat non Connacht teams and they regularly do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

franklyon wrote: »
    You would think a curse exists the way finals have gone. We should have won in 96 but for a freakish last minute point from Meath. Then 2 own goals in last year's final. The rest of the finals we just weren't good enough. A few of the older people I know believe in the curse however it is clear the alleged incident which led to the curse did not happen. Sometimes you just need that little rub of the green to make a difference and hopefully we can put this curse nonsense to bed in 2 weeks time.

Sure if John Madden came out and caught the ball it wouldn't have bounced over in 1996.

Even with the own goals last year, Mayo had the chance to push on and win in the second half but were afraid to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

djPSB wrote: »
    Sure if John Madden came out and caught the ball it wouldn't have bounced over in 1996.

Even with the own goals last year, Mayo had the chance to push on and win in the second half but were afraid to win.

Agree completely with you, sometimes it seems when we are ahead we get into a panic/take the foot off the gas completely. Cork game especially springs to mind and even against Kerry in the replay there was a 10 minute period where we started hand passing it around the back and generally being afraid to go and kill off the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Beyond you? But yet you replied. Okaaay

Its a thread not worthy of the GAA forum to be honest. If there was a superstitions forum, it would belong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Its a thread not worthy of the GAA forum to be honest. If there was a superstitions forum, it would belong there.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/446

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

People in the west are somehow less intelligent are they, all believing in fairy stories? No one takes it seriously.

They've never once gone into an All Ireland final as favourites or being regarded as the better team. It's a bit of an anomaly that they haven't won one but not all that surprising either

• Advertisement

That is the bit that sticks in my throat too. Those men deserve more respect from the media than to be peddling that stuff on the airwaves so much. It is highly ignorant.

Advertisement