Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dail motion passed..timeframe for implementation?

• 04-09-2017 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a query for you re motions presented to, and subsequently passed in the Dail.

Is there a set timeframe for things to be implemented once passed?

My particular query is in relation to the extended maternity leave for babies born prematurely. Far as i can see this motion was passed at the start of April this year.

Would this be something that would be brought in a the next budget or are we talking years before it's actually set in place?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a query for you re motions presented to, and subsequently passed in the Dail.

Is there a set timeframe for things to be implemented once passed?

My particular query is in relation to the extended maternity leave for babies born prematurely. Far as i can see this motion was passed at the start of April this year.

Would this be something that would be brought in a the next budget or are we talking years before it's actually set in place?

Thanks in advance.

Do Dail motions have any status?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

I have no idea but what i read was that the motion passed so if implementation is not the next step could anyone tell me what is?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If it was a private member's motion, then it isn't binding. It's effectively the Dail "calling on" the the government to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Not sure, i do know it was put forward by the green party and was unanimous vote in favor.
    I think there was mention of them trying to get it put int the budget through the Dept of Social Protection? but couldn't be sure?

Is there any way i could find out the current status of the motion/bill whatever its called?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The motion was simply the Dail expressing an opinion that the Government should act in a certain way. It wasn't ever intended to bind the Government to actually do anything - merely to encourage them to do so.

If you read the actual motion you'll see it was worded in such a way that once it was voted on then there's nothing further actually required.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=34935&&CatID=62

That Dáil Éireann: ............

calls on the Government to extend the period of statutory maternity leave and Maternity Benefit for mothers of premature babies, by the length of time between the delivery date of the baby and either the date the baby would have been delivered if full-term or the date of the baby leaving hospital, whichever is later, and that this extension be in addition to the current entitlement to 26 weeks maternity leave and Maternity Benefit and the additional 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave under the Maternity Acts 1994 and 2004; .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

blackwhite wrote: »
    The motion was simply the Dail expressing an opinion that the Government should act in a certain way. It wasn't ever intended to bind the Government to actually do anything - merely to encourage them to do so.

If you read the actual motion you'll see it was worded in such a way that once it was voted on then there's nothing further actually required.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=34935&&CatID=62

The current Dail - this so-called new politics - where everything is supposed to be done by agreement is a complete mess, with lots and lots of talk, opposition motions that have no meaning, "victories" over the government in motions that have no effect etc.

Advertisement