Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Croke park tickets, entering and leaving

• 01-09-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

Hi,

here is the scenario, my friend has 2 tickets for the hurling final on Sunday. 1 for him and 1 for me.
    He is going in early to get the minor match at 1:15pm

Due to work, I wont make it to croker until about 2:45pm

Is it possible for my friend to enter the stadium, then leave to give me my ticket and then for him to re enter again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi,

here is the scenario, my friend has 2 tickets for the hurling final on Sunday. 1 for him and 1 for me.

Is it possible for my friend to enter the stadium, then leave to give me my ticket and then for him to re enter again?

Just get him to leave the ticket behind reception in the Croke Park hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The hotel won't always agree to do that. They are a hotel, not Ticketmaster.

Your friend can not leave and get back in again. His ticket will only scan once. If he leaves, he won't be able to get back in again, as he won't have a scannable ticket.

Tell your friend to enter via a specific turnstile. Get him to text you the number of it. When you get there, head to the same turnstile and have him meet you on the opposite side of it and, he hands you out you out your ticket. They should allow you do that, if you explain what you are doing.

Make sure he brings his own ticket with him to show the stewards. If he doesn't, they may very well think the two of you are trying to pull a fast one and that you are trying to enter the stadium on his already scanned ticket. They get all kinds of chancers on All Ireland final day. The turnstiles will be pretty busy at that time, so expect to have to queue and for the stewards to be a bit frazzled, so be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hi,

Either get the ticket for him today or tomorrow, or have him give it to someone you can get it off. There's no way of being sure any plan involving meeting near the stiles or handing it in at a hotel will work, and every reason to think it could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Motivator wrote: »
    Just get him to leave the ticket behind reception in the Croke Park hotel.

There are ticket checks entering Clonliffe Rd and Jones Rd so you can't actually get as far as the Croke Park Hotel without a ticket as it is.

As others have said, get it sorted before Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Aren't All Ireland's great. Lads who haven't been within an asses roar of Croker in years with tickets who can't even be bothered collecting their tickets from their friend before hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Aren't All Ireland's great. Lads who haven't been within an asses roar of Croker in years with tickets who can't even be bothered collecting their tickets from their friend before hand

Big time.

Lads who did nothing all year and in no way deserve a ticket bullying their way into one.

Pisses me off big time.

Lads who wouldn't go to this game only it's a, final.

A whole load of tickets going out to sponsors and probably free ones as well.

Centra getting loads of seats and a good few appearing on done deal.you will see them with centra all ireland on the bottom of the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hi,

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

what makes you think I haven't been to croke park in years, where did I say this. it just happens to be my first time time in this particular situation, so was unsure about the ticket scenario.

sorry for having a job that I have to work in that does not me allow to take time off. im working saturday also. I am in Galway, my friend is in Dublin, what do yo expect me to do , drive up tonight and drive home again to be back for work tomorrow, then go up agian on Sunday.

I was there in 2001, 2005, 2012, (twice) 2015

been to 3 league games this year and 3 championship games. been supporting them over the years and spent a lot of money traveling to matches etc

so stop assuming things without knowing facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

what makes you think I haven't been to croke park in years, where did I say this. it just happens to be my first time time in this particular situation, so was unsure about the ticket scenario.

It's common knowledge you can't re-enter sports stadium's. Sorry if I've misjudged you. Just how it appeared to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

It's common knowledge you can't re-enter sports stadium's. Sorry if I've misjudged you. Just how it appeared to me.

Grand. I've never had to re enter a stadium so was never in the situation before etc so was not entirely sure.

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    Big time.

Lads who did nothing all year and in no way deserve a ticket bullying their way into one.

Pisses me off big time.

Lads who wouldn't go to this game only it's a, final.

A whole load of tickets going out to sponsors and probably free ones as well.

Centra getting loads of seats and a good few appearing on done deal.you will see them with centra all ireland on the bottom of the ticket.

Sorry op and to the poster who was trying to re enter the stadium.

I was making a general point on people who add not entitled to tickets getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Tells the initial stewards blocking the road way your situation and they will let you pass all the way to the turnstiles of Croker. Then get your mate to hand your ticket out to you through the turnstile. Be confident as if you come across as weak then you wont get past the first set of stewards.

I managed to talk my way past 5 sets of stewards and a lad on the turnstile to get into Hill16 for the final last year even though my ticket was for the cusack. Its just all about the confidence!

Did the ticket for the cusack scan on the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

There is a reception area to the right of the hogan stand premium entrance. You could ask if they will hold the ticket for your friend to collect. They often distribute tickets in cases where people are collecting on the day. You still have to go through security at the entrance roads but explain the situation and they should let tou through.

No it didn't. But I just told the turnstile lad that 'John the head steward said you'd let me in cause the hill is not seated so tickets don't matter'. The steward then said he'd have to ask someone else and I said 'sound but try and ask for John the head steward'. At that stage the turnstile lad just pressed the button and let me through!

Literally passed 5 sets of stewards before that with the cusack ticket and I either blocked the word Cusack on the ticket with my thumb or if anyone questioned me just repeated the 'John the steward' line as I walked away from them.

The last steward before the turnstile pointed me into a slip road which takes you away from the hill so I walked up the slip road slightly then just done a u-turn when he wasn't watching.

Literally felt like Indiana Jones after the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

tacofries wrote: »

No it didn't. But I just told the turnstile lad that 'John the head steward said you'd let me in cause the hill is not seated so tickets don't matter'. The steward then said he'd have to ask someone else and I said 'sound but try and ask for John the head steward'. At that stage the turnstile lad just pressed the button and let me through!

Literally passed 5 sets of stewards before that with the cusack ticket and I either blocked the word Cusack on the ticket with my thumb or if anyone questioned me just repeated the 'John the steward' line as I walked away from them.

The last steward before the turnstile pointed me into a slip road which takes you away from the hill so I walked up the slip road slightly then just done a u-turn when he wasn't watching.

Literally felt like Indiana Jones after the whole thing!
    Yeah but all that to end up standing with a **** view that costs half the price of the ticket you had.

Had a great view and got to be with a group of 10 of my mates and my Dad. I would take that any day instead of sitting by myself in the Cusack...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

There are ticket checks entering Clonliffe Rd and Jones Rd so you can't actually get as far as the Croke Park Hotel without a ticket as it is.

As others have said, get it sorted before Sunday.

There is zero requirement to present your ticket at the ticket checks on the road. The roads are not closed to the public, the stewards have no legal right to request your ticket anywhere other than the entrance to the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How about the bag searches on the way in? Are they legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Fattes wrote: »
    There is zero requirement to present your ticket at the ticket checks on the road. The roads are not closed to the public, the stewards have no legal right to request your ticket anywhere other than the entrance to the stadium

Why? Because they don't wear hats or because you've no contract with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

sorry for having a job that I have to work in that does not me allow to take time off. im working saturday also. I am in Galway, my friend is in Dublin, what do yo expect me to do , drive up tonight and drive home again to be back for work tomorrow, then go up agian on Sunday.

been to 3 league games this year and 3 championship games. been supporting them over the years and spent a lot of money traveling to matches etc

To be honest with you, if my county was in the final, and for galways example it was the first time they're favourites in a long time, i would have no qualms about doing what i've highlighted in bold above. You can work and have your early nights in bed for the rest of the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

For an all Ireland final ticket I would personally do anything to get the ticket myself to leave zero room for issues....

Why would I want to have to worry about being able to convince stewards to let me pass certain barriers or even just allow me to grab a ticket from a friend in the ground ? You just need one thick bollox (with a thick Garda) and your day is ruined. .

Suppose its just me, but I wouldn't leave my entrance to chance like the OP seems to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why? Because they don't wear hats or because you've no contract with them?

He's right though, tell them you live down the road there and you're going home. Or visiting someone. Who's to say you're not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

fullstop wrote: »
    He's right though, tell them you live down the road there and you're going home. Or visiting someone. Who's to say you're not?

I'm sure it probably is correct but going around arguing with stewards that they've no right to stop you or see a ticket blah blah is a sure fire way for them to tell you to take a hike, or worse yet, get the guards to move you on

Can you honesty say "just visiting a friend" on all ireland day that they're going to be grand with that?

Fattes wrote: »

I'm just giving info to the thread, advising the OP that the Croke Park hotel is not the best place because of the ticket checks.

Yea, exactly that.

That's the kind of lengths people go to to get tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Yea, exactly that.

That's the kind of lengths people go to to get tickets.

In fairness that's a bit much. Quite frankly you'd want your head examined to be doing that. It's closer to a 6hr return journey

OP I'd suggest your matter put the ticket in a small bag and used one of the left luggage facilities in the city. Get him to explain to the staff that another person will be collecting and get him to send you a picture of the left luggage ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭17togo

All residents living in the cordoned off areas are issued with resident passes. So if someone is genuinely visiting a friend they would have to meet them at the cordon with a pass. If not it'll depend what mood the steward or garda are in if they believe your story.

And it is legal to be asked for a ticket on the roads entering Croke Park. On events such as this under section 21 of the public order act an area around the stadium can be cordoned off and entry regulated. So I would not recommend telling the they have no right to ask you for a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

In fairness that's a bit much. Quite frankly you'd want your head examined to be doing that. It's closer to a 6hr return journey

OP I'd suggest your matter put the ticket in a small bag and used one of the left luggage facilities in the city. Get him to explain to the staff that another person will be collecting and get him to send you a picture of the left luggage ticket

Well then you should stop posting in a GAA thread because we're all mad.:D
    I'm actually doing a 6 hour round trip to get tickets for myself, a friend and (unfortunately) my father in law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

You won't get within an asses roar of the stadium without a ticket, the stewards might not have the power to stop you but the guard beside him can.
    I had similar problem before cousin was joining me at the match and he was stuck in work for a couple more hours.. I put ticket in an envelope and sent it by taxi to him...he worked in Dublin mind but you could get the taxi to drop it to a meeting point or pub when you get to Dublin , just be sure he takes down the taxi details and sends them to you..

Advertisement