Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Jumping ship here too, sick of problems e.g. Facebook messenger no longer supported, email keeps giving sync errors, calendar not updating. Off to android

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Facebook Messenger isn't being removed

It says no longer supported on w8.1. I upgraded to w10 twice on my 640xl but on both occasions, a number of things didn't work right including Bluetooth. So I went back to 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

I wasn't even able to upgrade to 10 on my 640XL - it kept crashing and giving errors.

So I gave up.

Mine upgraded fine both times but just didn't work. I have a work 640 and that upgraded and worked fine, still going ok.

• Advertisement

I kinda wish it would upgrade cos I really love the platform... I've moved to android now too.

Ah 8.1...well, good luck running new apps on out of date iOS or Android versions! ;)

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ah 8.1...well, good luck running new apps on out of date iOS or Android versions! ;)

The problem for me is I can't upgrade to 10 because of some stupid error.
    In other cases 10 was never rolled out onto some phones.

so it leaves no choice but to bail out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can just buy a new is and android to get apps if you are missing them.

They simply won't be there on WP new phone or not.

So it's a bogus argument. I

I miss WP but I couldnt go back

beauf wrote: »
    You can just buy a new is and android to get apps if you are missing them.

They simply won't be there on WP new phone or not.

So it's a bogus argument. I

I miss WP but I couldnt go back

We were talking about Facebook Messenger specifically. So yes, if you bought a Windows 10 Mobile device, it simply would be there.

• Advertisement

We were talking about Facebook Messenger specifically. So yes, if you bought a Windows 10 Mobile device, it simply would be there.

A lot of the newer 8.1 devices were promised 10 and it never materialised, unless you wanted to take a chance on the developers update, which turns out wasn't very good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

unkel wrote: »
    Broke the screen in my 950XL. Can repair it myself but the part is not cheap (€130) and has to come from the far east

So..

..I've given up too. Maybe if we ever get a surface phone (x86) will I return. But for now I've switched to a Samsung S7 (and installed a custom ROM as you do :D)

Holy moley, if Unkel is gone, who's left!?

Still running a 950XL myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm still waiting to see what at&t offers after my contract is up in November.
    I've been considering a sony or a Nokia, I really need the high mp camera. Thats almost my only major requirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Been with Microsoft ever since i got a smart phone, they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

I'm dreading the change, but this Microsoft has left me broken. 6 times back in the shop. Mother board replaced, camera switches the whole thing off for hours some times. I waited 6 months outside of contract for this phone to come onto the market and it has nothing but trouble.
    I still have my old Nokia's, they were super reliable.
    I'm moving and I'm not even sure what to get; can't see it being Apple.

I think it's just a dodgy phone but unfortunately for Microsoft, Eir will keep "fixing it" regardless of the destruction of brand.

I'm dreading the change, but this Microsoft has left me broken. 6 times back in the shop. Mother board replaced, camera switches the whole thing off for hours some times. I waited 6 months outside of contract for this phone to come onto the market and it has nothing but trouble.
    I still have my old Nokia's, they were super reliable.
    I'm moving and I'm not even sure what to get; can't see it being Apple.

I think it's just a dodgy phone but unfortunately for Microsoft, Eir will keep "fixing it" regardless of the destruction of brand.

Unfortunately we basically never got to see Microsoft themselves make a phone, or at least not the same hardware people who are making Surface devices. I believe all of the Lumias originated in design from Nokia, some of the Microsoft branded ones even date from before they acquired the company! I'm still holding out for the fabled Surface "phone"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'll be moving fairly soon from a 950 - it's a timing thing as much as anything else - I have the opportunity to get an iphone plus on the upgrade programme in the UK - so that will be 2 new phones in the next 2 years.

I was going to hold out for the "surface" phone, but I don't trust MS to get it right first time or even if they do I am unwilling to be their early adopter tester - I've been burnt with the RT, Band 1 and the Band 2 (still waiting on my refund cheque 5 months after returning the Band 2). So my thinking now is that it will be a min. of 2 years before there's a reliable, proven product from MS, whatever shape it takes - if that even happens.

I'd be delighted if it does, but the current lack of information, lack of support and lack of interest from MS in their own mobile has me thinking why should i be bothered if they're not...

I moved. Hated it for a day but then found a whole new world of apps that I always thought I didn't want. I can finally use aer lingus mobile site properly

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    then found a whole new world of apps that I always thought I didn't want.

You'll have to forgive me for finding this a compelling reason not to switch - I'm rather glad I don't spend my waking hours staring at a phone (just every other type of screen)

You'll have to forgive me for finding this a compelling reason not to switch - I'm rather glad I don't spend my waking hours staring at a phone (just every other type of screen)

Correct but an example would be are lingus. I never got a proper search on wp, could never change to more than 1 person.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Correct but an example would be are lingus. I never got a proper search on wp, could never change to more than 1 person.

Same thing happens all the time on my iPad (not on Aer Lingus, just bugginess on lots of sites), so it's more bad web developers than anything else (and if there ever was an Aer Lingus WP app, it was undoubtedly just a web wrapper).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'll be moving fairly soon from a 950 - it's a timing thing as much as anything else - I have the opportunity to get an iphone plus on the upgrade programme in the UK - so that will be 2 new phones in the next 2 years.

I was going to hold out for the "surface" phone, but I don't trust MS to get it right first time or even if they do I am unwilling to be their early adopter tester - I've been burnt with the RT, Band 1 and the Band 2 (still waiting on my refund cheque 5 months after returning the Band 2). So my thinking now is that it will be a min. of 2 years before there's a reliable, proven product from MS, whatever shape it takes - if that even happens.

I'd be delighted if it does, but the current lack of information, lack of support and lack of interest from MS in their own mobile has me thinking why should i be bothered if they're not...

getting iphone tomorrow, so will be advertising the 950 next week, unless anyone here want's to get in touch about it before then - Mozo Leather cover and the continuum dock included.

support for WP 8.1 has been removed, just in case anyone hasn't seen it..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4036480/windows-phone-8-1-end-of-support-faq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The power button on the wife's 830 has stopped working, she currently needs to use the camera button to wake the phone.

Just ordered her a Galaxy S7. That's the end of the Windows Phone era in this house....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Do-more wrote: »
    The power button on the wife's 830 has stopped working, she currently needs to use the camera button to wake the phone.

Just ordered her a Galaxy S7. That's the end of the Windows Phone era in this house....

The S7 is very nice.... and sleek.... but beware of screen burn in on the S7 if using it for prolonged periods of "on" time (using sat nav, or anything on continuously for lengthy periods). I've learned the hard way and need to rethink my sat nav requirements - I have some lovely burn in on my S7 display of sat nav controls. Really very annoying for normal use. Not sure there is a non replacement solution (haven't researched that as yet).

Never had that issue on my Lumia 930 but that had some damn fine screen technology. The Galaxy S7 is a Super Amoled display compared to the 930's Amoled display but i'm not convinced that that is the difference (wikipedia tells me Super Amoled is a marketing term :D). Anyhow, I digress. It is a Windows Device forum after all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The S7 arrived yesterday and Windows phone kept up the fight right to the end! It took about 8 or 9 attempts to download the Samsung switch app to transfer the contents of the 830 to the S7 and another 4 or 5 to get it to install, kept getting fail codes all the time but persevered and once it did finally install it was a simple process to transfer over contacts, photos etc.

She is not a power user so I don't expect that she will have any problems with burn in.

Originally I had planned to get her a Moto G 5 but our mobile phone company here in Sweden has the S7 as "phone of the month" this month and it is costing her approx. €12.50 a month over 24 months so €300 in total so it seemed like too good an offer to pass up.

Her main request was a decent camera but she didn't want to go to a 5.5" phone so the choice was not great for a phone within a reasonable budget.

Apart from being a bit thinner the S7 is of almost identical dimensions to the 830 so no complaints on that front.

Will just have to put up with a month of "how do I do this" "how do I do that" but it should be worth it, as she will now have access to a lot of practical apps that were missing from WP.

On the sat nav front I have always found that it gobbled up the battery of my Honor 7 so before a road trip through Europe this summer I bought a TomTom on an Amazon warehouse deal for €200, it was last year's top of the range model with built in sim and lifetime traffic and speed camera data at no cost. The processor is a bit limp and finding destinations is much better on the PC app but in general I would say that it was a very good buy which I am very happy with.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It isnt just apple hogging the mobiles headlines today. Microsoft with a new upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile, with some flash new features upping the anti in the mobile wars :

https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/09/13/windows-10-mobile-build-15250-now-available-new-features-fast-ring/

Giving up isnt for the cool kids who want a really neat OS on their mobile device.

Advertisement