Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin V Mayo .. opinions on the final

• 30-08-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Dublin look invincible at the moment..but should Mayo be scared of them

the fact is Dublin have had 5 very easy games so far.. each one has been a stroll in the park with their opponents barely able to give them a contest...now that could be coz Dublin are that good.. but i think its because most teams are already beaten mentally before the ball has even been thrown in ..

Nobody has given Dublin a decent game at all so far.... amazingly it is Carlow have managed to give Dublin their lowest scoring game...

mayo have played 9 games now.. and each of their games that went to extra time and replays are as good as preparation as a weeks training

I just think this final is a lot lot closer than the bookies odds suggest.

Ive watched highlights of the final last year and Mayo were very unlucky not to win both games..

mayo are a fantastic team and I think they will have more hunger and desire...

you can argue that Dublin have more quality players.. but I think if Mayo stand up to Dublin early on and don't let them get a big lead then they could well pull it off..

a good start is key.. if they can get through the first 20 without conceding a big lead then they will start to believe

If Mayo win this .. it will be the greatest and sweetest All Ireland ever achieved... they have waited so long and their fans have had too much heartbreak..

God I hope they do it .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Predicting Mayo to win by a goal. Can see Dublin struggling to cope with Mayo's running from defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Dublin by double figures . Will hope to make a nice profit on it aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The only real winner is the GAA's bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Mayo had their chance last year, in fact probably never a better chance. Two own goals and change of goalkeeper killed us.

Dublin should in theory, based on their results and performances this year, win easily. This Mayo team never gives up, but Dublin have far deeper squad to call on.

Dublin by 5 to 6 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

No replays please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Dublin by 2 points in the replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Patser wrote: »
    Dublin by 2 points in the replay.

Noooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hard to call but based on all the "expert " opinion the last few months and the ",it's hard to see past " spiel I'd say Kerry
    It is a Dublin Kerry final again isn't it?
    I mean lots of ye couldnt see past that ;)

Mayo by 2

I feel sorry for Mayo.

They've waited so long and have lost a mountain of finals in a row, I think this is either 8/9.

This is undoubtedly the hardest one as well.

Sure they ran Dublin close but each game can take on a life of its own and like our hurlers in 2012(hammered KK, drew final, hammered in replay) they probably missed their best chance to beat Dublin.

They've lost to Galway and struggled against Cork, Clare, Derry and Roscommon who Dublin would have obliterated being honest.

The last two games were an improvement but there's a lot of negatives(carrying a few passenger's in attack and playing lads like Seamus OShea wont work against Dublins midfield since they pick mobile players).

To reiterate the point, every game takes on a life of its own... but Dublin are just growing stronger every year.
    Hurlings the sport to be competitive at right now, the rest of us haven't much hope the way the football has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

Hard to see past Dublin but the few positives are,

Dublin have beaten no one of consequence. The one team that was supposed to test them didnt even show up. Tyrone were woeful and made Dublin look much better than they were. It might be difficult to raise the game on the one day its really put up to you. Kildare were somewhat of a test and Mayo are far better than Kildare.

Mayo have been tested and have gotten better with each game.

Both teams aren't that much different to last year and Dublin struggle when ran it. Its Mayos forte. It worked 12 months ago and it should again.

If Mayo can cut out the stupid mistakes then I think theyll give them a good rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Barlett

I feel sorry for Mayo.

They've waited so long and have lost a mountain of finals in a row, I think this is either 8/9.

Sure they ran Dublin close but each game can take on a life of its own and like our hurlers in 2012(hammered KK, drew final, hammered in replay) they probably missed their best chance to beat Dublin.

They've lost to Galway and struggled against Cork, Clare, Derry and Roscommon who Dublin would have obliterated being honest.

The last two games were an improvement but there's a lot of negatives(carrying a few passenger's in attack and playing lads like Seamus OShea wont work against Dublins midfield since they pick mobile players).

To reiterate the point, every game takes on a life of its own... but Dublin are just growing stronger every year.
    Hurlings the sport to be competitive at right now, the rest of us haven't much hope the way the football has gone.

And yet SOS was one of Mayo's best players in the replay last year. Look Dublin should win & I expect them to, but talk of easy wins etc is delusional. Name the last championship match this Mayo team played in, that was over after 60 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We have our beady eyes on the hurling too, but the stupid county board is scared it will upset the big ballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Barlett wrote: »
    And yet SOS was one of Mayo's best players in the replay last year. Look Dublin should win & I expect them to, but talk of easy wins etc is delusional. Name the last championship match this Mayo team played in, that was over after 60 mins?

I think for anyone's sanity this thread would be best ignored in the build up!

I feel sorry for Mayo.

A few passengers in attack? Who?

You do realise dublin were similar odds in the build up to last year's final. Now you look back at it as mayo's best ever chance? Why can't this year be similar

Actually you know what don't bother, theres so much bizarre stuff in that post we'll be all day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I think this will be a meeting of the 2 tactically strongest managers in the game so I can see there being a real cagey element to it.
    However I just cant see the Dublin backline being as bad as Kerrys was and for all their dominacne- Mayo werent able to put Kerry away and could have been under more pressure but for a, relatively soft, red card.

So due to Dublin being more clinical and having more options in terms of tactical range- I'd go with Dublin by 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Will go to a replay. Then Mayo to win the replay by 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Predicting Mayo to win by a goal. Can see Dublin struggling to cope with Mayo's running from defence.

I think the Tyrone game showed that Dublin can cope with that threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

yobr wrote: »
    I think the Tyrone game showed that Dublin can cope with that threat?

There was no threat.

threeball wrote: »
    Dublin have beaten no one of consequence.

Unfortunately, you don't get to select who you play. Allowing for promotion and relegation, both Mayo and Dublin have played three D1 teams so far in the championship.
    The one team that was supposed to test them didnt even show up. Tyrone were woeful and made Dublin look much better than they were. It might be difficult to raise the game on the one day its really put up to you.

You could equally argue that tactically Dublin were far superior to Tyrone and that is what made it look easy. Also, Mayo scored 3 -4 from Roscommon kickouts in the replay - Dublin won't be so generous.
    Mayo have been tested and have gotten better with each game.

In fairness, they were poor against Galway, Clare, Cork and Roscommon (1st match) so it was inevitable that they would or had to improve.
    Both teams aren't that much different to last year and Dublin struggle when ran it. Its Mayos forte. It worked 12 months ago and it should again.

Dublin's starting 15 against Tyrone showed 6 changes to the team that started last years Final. As I said earlier, Dublin in the semi negated the Tyrone runners threat - I'm sure it can be done against Mayo.

There was no threat.

Correct, as Dublin had their homework done and successfully negated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

akelly02 wrote: »
    Dublin by double figures . Will hope to make a nice profit on it aswell

This is the 5th championship match Dublin and Mayo have played each other since 2015. There's very little between them.

Its that cocky arrogant attitude that puts people off Dublin supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Its hard to make a case for Mayo winning imo. Don't get me wrong Dublin will have to empty themselves to get over the line as usual. But getting over the line against Mayo is what they do.

The psychological edge they have can't be overstated. When is the last time they lost to Mayo in league or championship? 2012? That's huge and it was evident as a factor in the drawn game last year. Mayo just couldn't get over the line even though they dominated the contest.

There's the slim possibility of a different dynamic emerging this year with both teams playing a very different style to last year but your money would have to be on Dublin if its tight in the closing stages.

corny wrote: »
    Its hard to make a case for Mayo winning imo. Don't get me wrong Dublin will have to empty themselves to get over the line as usual. But getting over the line against Mayo is what they do.

The psychological edge they have can't be overstated. When is the last time they lost to Mayo in league or championship? 2012? That's huge and it was evident as a factor in the drawn game last year. Mayo just couldn't get over the line even though they dominated the contest.

There's the slim possibility of a different dynamic emerging this year with both teams playing a very different style to last year but your money would have to be on Dublin if its tight in the closing stages.

Mayo were 3 points down going into injury time the drawn game and never led the second half. Not really sure how the "not getting over the line" applies to that game

I think psychological advantages and all that are completely overstated. Dublin mostly win as they're a better side quite simply. Mayo have been there or thereabouts and a bounce of the ball could swing it their way. That's why there's no hope id discount them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Mayo will need to challenge Dublin for possession. Unlike Tyrone who gave them the freedom of Croke Park.

Push up and challenge Cluxton kick outs is crucial. Have to force him to kick long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jr86 wrote: »
    Mayo were 3 points down going into injury time the drawn game and never led the second half. Not really sure how the "not getting over the line" applies to that game

I think psychological advantages and all that are completely overstated. Dublin mostly win as they're a better side quite simply. Mayo have been there or thereabouts and a bounce of the ball could swing it their way. That's why there's no hope id discount them

I wouldn't use the term "dominated" but we certainly had the beating of them that day. The major issue was that we scored 40% of Dublin's score for them. It was nearly HT before they scored themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

This is the 5th championship match Dublin and Mayo have played each other since 2015. There's very little between them.

im from offaly but yea, fire ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

In the modern game, the strength of your bench is as important as your starting 15. We've seen what the likes of Conor Loftus and Paddy Durcan can do coming off the bench. We've also seen what Dublin players can do coming off the bench. For this reason I expect it to be close until about the 60th minute, but the Dublin bench will probably be the difference. I hope I am proven wrong. This Mayo team never gives up but that is not always enough. Dublin are now light years ahead of most teams. So it will be interesting to see how Mayo fares against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I think you'll find the majority of Dublin fans on here, the true ones anyway, know it'll be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 treble1999

This will be a complete stroll in the park for Dublin. Can see them winning by 10-15 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

corny wrote: »

The Kerry games might have helped Mayo in that regard. The first day out, they were the better team, but didn't have the conviction to finish off Kerry and showed them far too much respect, whereas the second game, they went for them from start to finish and won quite comfortably.
    This might stand to them in the final if they can get a lead up, they won't panic as they did in drawn game 2 years ago.

Advertisement