Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I'll be qualifying as an accountant next November, all exams passed and just a matter of experience to be worked.

I'm interested in the Skilled Migration visa if I don't get a transfer in work myself. I just have two questions which I was hoping people may have the answers to:

Roughly how long will the process take for s189 visa? From applying to being granted?

And then, will I need to wait until I am actually qualified to start or process or can I begin it sooner, with the proviso that I will qualified upon leaving for Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I'll be qualifying as an accountant next November, all exams passed and just a matter of experience to be worked.

I'm interested in the Skilled Migration visa if I don't get a transfer in work myself. I just have two questions which I was hoping people may have the answers to:

Roughly how long will the process take for s189 visa? From applying to being granted?

And then, will I need to wait until I am actually qualified to start or process or can I begin it sooner, with the proviso that I will qualified upon leaving for Oz?

The process time can vary widely, generally it seems to be about 6-12 months.

I could be mistaken but accountants seem to be over subscribed over there and as a result you would need higher points than other professions.
    Pomsinoz is a great website for info in all things visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Once your lodge your citizenship application can you leave the country or have you travel restrictions on leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hi All,

Just looking for opinions, We, Myself, herself, 3 kids, eldest 17. are looking at making the move to Aus. Not pushed too much on city / area, but I have friends in Melbourne so Ideally Vic. My Oh is currently doing a degree in social care and this is not listed SOL. I have an IT background and have worked in IT for the past 18 yrs (no qualifications Degree, Masters, etc) I could apply to SA under 263212 ICT support Engineer. Currently with state sponsorship and 20 points on IELTS I could (in theory) come out with 65 points. This leaves me 5 shy for state sponsorship. With having 18 yrs experience, is it worth my while or is it possible to have a certain amount of these years used as RPL with ACS? If I remember correctly I saw something like 8 years = Bachelors Degree, is that correct? If so is it just a case of going forward with ACS RPL application and seeing what they give back? Anyone with experience on this I would really appreciate some info. I have mailed ACS but they are not the most helpful (depending on who replies).

I could also apply under 135112 ICT Project Manager but my experience as 263212 ICT support Engineer would be longer so the RPL I think is the key.

My details

38 yrs old, 25 points (33-39)
    18 yrs in IT, 15 points (Overseas work experience in nominated occupation or a closely related occupation * at time of invitation)
    IELTS 8, 20 points(once complete)
    RPL of 8 yrs = bachelor degree?, 15 points = - 8 yrs off work experience still 15points.

Thanks for all replies in advance.

Hope there is enough info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anewbegining

Hi guys quick Q.
    In the process of gathering info to apply for 189.
    I did 4 years on a 457 (wife n 3kids too) but Im now back in Ire with a wife n 4kids.
    We want to go permanently now on 189 as we found it super expensive on 457 without childcare rebate etc for daycare along with other things however we loved the lifestyle. I'm an electrician.
    My Q is. When is right time to do health declaration. It says before you lodge visa application. Should we do it when we put in our EOI? Or wait to be invited to apply?
    Just don't want to do health declaration and for it to run out.
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,015 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When is right time to do health declaration. It says before you lodge visa application. Should we do it when we put in our EOI? Or wait to be invited to apply?
    Just don't want to do health declaration and for it to run out.
    TIA

If you are lodging a decision ready application you send it in when you lodge.
    If you are doing it yourself, or non-decision ready, you are requested to go for it by immi.

Sorry to bump this again. Has anyone ever gone down the route of a Working Holiday visa and then the s189 skilled migrants?

I'll be qualified end of October so if I don't get a transfer, I'm considering going on a WHV whilst waiting on my s189 application...

Just wondering if this is possible or if I need to be outside of the country. Tried to Google but to no avail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Tried to Google but to no avail...

Young people understand Google isn't an 'answer machine', right?

It's fairly plainly written on the visa page. Interpretation then depends on your actual situation - you don't say whether you've got an 189 application in progress, or whether you plan to submit the expression of interest at some point in the future..

Young people understand Google isn't an 'answer machine', right?

It's fairly plainly written on the visa page. Interpretation then depends on your actual situation - you don't say whether you've got an 189 application in progress, or whether you plan to submit the expression of interest at some point in the future..

That's what I'm trying to find out at present! The fact I'm not qualified until October leads me to believe I can't make an expression of interest until I am actually qualified...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

The fact I'm not qualified until October leads me to believe I can't make an expression of interest until I am actually qualified...

OK, it's like you're asking different questions, that's making it confusing. Nobody wants to answer you, when you make them have to figure out your question. And, when the majority of the answer is freely available on the internet already.

I don't know anything about these visas, other than what i've read online, which is also very little. I am not a visa expert, but i completed my own partner migration several years ago, and i found it reasonable straightforward once i read all the doco.

You first said
    • qualified in Nov, exams passed, just have to finish work experience.
    • interested in the Skilled Migration visa, want to know how long it takes
    • Do you have to wait until qualified to start or process or can you begin sooner, with the proviso that you will qualified upon leaving for Oz?

Then you asked
    • about being on WHV whilst waiting on s189 application
    • is possible or if I need to be outside of the country.

And now you say
    • The fact I'm not qualified until October leads me to believe I can't make an expression of interest until I am actually qualified.

So ultimately, your Accountancy work experience gig is up in October / November. You passed all exams (congrats) but you're not convinced you will get transferred from work experience kid, to full time work guy. You feel trapped, and you want to come to the antipodes for love, work, extreme weather and general happiness, by your own gumption on a skilled visa. The 189 visa required you to complete an expression of interest, and your EoI application might be thrown in the bin. You'd rather not wait around for that - aforementioned gumption requires you to crack on, and you're thinking about living the dream, maybe growing your hair and beard out, on a WHV first. So you need to know if the EoI and s189 can be applied for within aussie borders, while kickin' back with cockroaches on a dusty farm. amirite? prolly not, but anyway..

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189), applicants, after you've applied page, plainly advises that
    If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa. Wait for a decision from us before you leave your job, sell your home or book your travel.

If you apply for this visa in Australia, you could be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB) to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

This infers you can apply within or outside australian borders, but it's always worth asking immi, or a migration agent. I personally wouldn't use a migration agent, but they exist for a reason, your choice to pay for their experience, all info is freely available.

The juicy part for you to nut out, will be the Skill Select EoI, for which there is plenty of details over here: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Skil. Sadly, it doesn't offer any hints on how long an EoI application actually takes, be it minutes or months, but this 2013 FAQ found with that pesky google answer machine suggests as long as you meet the points, it could be weeks, and it can vary depending on current numbers of applicants. It may have gotten better or worse in 3 years. But, once you do have an invitation, you only have 60 days to use it. And you may want to pay attention to the occupation ceilings. For Accountants in the 2016-2017 programme year, almost 70% of available invitations have been given out. Also, this blog entry from the original launch of SkillSelect in 2012 (damn you goooogle search!!!) says
    You don’t have to meet the pass mark on the points test to submit an EOI. However you won’t receive an invitation for the points based visas unless you meet the pass mark. You can build upon your EOI to achieve the desired pass mark for points based skilled migration.

In my experience, I have always found immi staff (once you actually get talking to one) to be extremely friendly and helpful. This world chat clock can be very useful in helping figure out what time to call - just load up some skype or google voice credit, and figure out which city the call center might be in. My only advice would be to have some clear and concise questions ready.

I don't think any of this has really addressed what you were hoping for (i.e. a clean-cut direct answer on a plate), but I found it all in a few minutes, i hope it helps, and points you in the right direction for you 'journey'!

Happy invasion day, and Good luck :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 cbbroderick89

27 year old, with a business degree and studying for ACT Treasury qualifications which will be completed by July at the latest, currently working in Treasury/Asset Management. Is this type of work popular/easily accessible in Australia? Bearing in mind the degrees/certificates and 3/4 years experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

What is the likelihood of applying for a 189 visa as a recently working graduate with no prior relevant job experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

What is the likelihood of applying for a 189 visa as a recently working graduate with no prior relevant job experience?

That depends on your skills assessment. Mine requires I have work experience after graduating to be deemed as skilled. Without a successful skills assessment I'm not eligible to apply for the visa. So checkout what your skills assessment requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

punk_one82 wrote: »
    That depends on your skills assessment. Mine requires I have work experience after graduating to be deemed as skilled. Without a successful skills assessment I'm not eligible to apply for the visa. So checkout what your skills assessment requires.

It seems I require a year of relevant experience before applying, which is fine.

I've been reading up on visas the last few days and I'm finding it a bit confusing.

Assuming I'll have my year of experience, would that allow me to apply for the 190 visa or just the 187?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

It seems I require a year of relevant experience before applying, which is fine.

I've been reading up on visas the last few days and I'm finding it a bit confusing.

Assuming I'll have my year of experience, would that allow me to apply for the 190 visa or just the 187?

They're different visas with different purposes. 190 is skilled migrant nominated by a state, 187 is regional sponsored migrant. Have you got a regional sponsorship or state sponsorship?

I'd imagine you should be looking at the 189/190 visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Hey I hoping to lodge my citizenship application asap but just seen my Irish passport expires in September 2018.

What's the go about applying now but getting a new passport? Is the passport number the same and is my PR automatically linked to my new Irish passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

rightyabe wrote: »
    Hey I hoping to lodge my citizenship application asap but just seen my Irish passport expires in September 2018.

What's the go about applying now but getting a new passport? Is the passport number the same and is my PR automatically linked to my new Irish passport?
    As always best to check with immigration for definitive answer but would guess:
    - If your citizenship is processed by then you will have an Aussie passport so wont matter about your PR/Irish passport linkage. Your Irish passport will then be held separately and you will need to use Aussie passport every time you enter/leave Aus.
    - Until you have been granted citizenship (via ceremony, not just approved application) your PR will be valid and will remain in place, you will need to check with immi if needs to be linked to new passport. New passports, in my experience always have different & unique numbers so I am guessing you would need to inform them.
    Unlike PR, citizenship is not linked to your Irish passport so your main concern would be if you need to travel overseas during the period around Irish passport expiring and Aussie one being granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I need to do a skills assessment, I’m a qualified actuary with several years experience . There’s a number of options on Vetassess with different fees, what option should I choose? The points test advice option is only 250AUD but the full application fee is 880AUD.

Advertisement