Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Destiny 2.0 (PC)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I generally go for a username that transcends all gaming thingies but blizzard calls me kdjac#2529

Do you play PUBG? I'm pretty sure I have killed or been killed by a 'kdjac' in PUBG :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yes but are they providing anti cheat services/knowledge or just letting them use some servers/being a distribution point?

Regardless of that there is still peer to peer involved so I'm definitely sitting it out for a month or two.

Wouldnt blame you,they cant guarntee it would never happen. On the flip side though you could wait 6 months,buy the game,then the next day someone releases a hack for it.

They claim their server model is a hybrid between P2P and dedicated which should make it more secure. Thats sure to be tested on PC.

Only time will tell i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So what's the craic with the GFX, just downloaded the beta to see how it runs. Intro was smooth as butter with everything on high for the most part then I loaded into PVP game and my FPS goes from 100+ to 40fps depending on where I look and changing settings doesn't seem to have any effect.

WIll see if I have an driver updates pending.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When I maxed it out at 1440p it was hitting 35-40fps with a gtx1070. At high settings I was getting 120/130fps with occasional drop to 80/90. Cut scenes seem to be locked to 30fps.

That was only in the mission rather than PvP which I didn't have a go of last night.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    When I maxed it out at 1440p it was hitting 35-40fps with a gtx1070. At high settings I was getting 120/130fps with occasional drop to 80/90. Cut scenes seem to be locked to 30fps.

That was only in the mission rather than PvP which I didn't have a go of last night.

Yeah drivers didn't fix it. PVE/Intro runs absolutely fine. PVP runs like crap.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will have to give it a look later, I only joined a match towards the end and didn't keep an eye on the fps at the time.

Will have to give it a look later, I only joined a match towards the end and didn't keep an eye on the fps at the time.

It's fixed itself now. I changed nothing. *shrugs*... it's not a very exciting game after all that.... ALthough it explains nothing so I'm only now seeing how I can change my character skills about etc.

Yeah it doesn't do a great job of telling players there are two subclasses available to each character in the beta.

Yeah it doesn't do a great job of telling players there are two subclasses available to each character in the beta.

It doesn't do a good job at explaining anything. The UI seems to be a bit console centric as well. Your character inventory isn't great and it's hard to understand how each weapon acts what the weird different damage (or it is ammo?) types are.

One hopes the main release explains this a little better but it's seriously denting my beta experience. I'm not really feeling it at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, just a little reminder that there is a Destiny forum here, everyone welcome :) : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1739

• Advertisement

They've changed a few things from the first game with how loadouts work but the elemental damages are void (purple), solar(orange) and arc(blue). Each subclass is tied to one of those too and each class has a subclass for each (or did in the first game).

Basically if you see an enemy with an orange shield then solar damage will drop that shield quicker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The game runs and looks fantastic on my not top spec PC,easily achieving 144 fps on 144hz screen with a few settings turned down.
    Enjoyable enough , id imagine pve is where the longevily is.

Sadly the pvp element is hit and miss.
    Yet another pvp/multiplayer game with stupidly overpowered melee kills from 10 feet away.
    Sick of this **** in most of the newish mp games.

Titanfall2,Lawbreakers to name a few.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I normally don't like melee kills can be annoying, but i never minded it in Destiny. The superpowers were always a ton of fun to play with. Yeah, if you meet someone who has theirs active, you're pretty much screwed. But some of them are extremely satisfying, and getting multiple kills in one super is a hell of a lot of fun.

I always enjoyed the Warlock supers.

True but the bog standard melee is OP as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Falthyron wrote: »
    Do you play PUBG? I'm pretty sure I have killed or been killed by a 'kdjac' in PUBG :pac:

Yeah won a few over the weekend, hopefully you were on my path to victory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Holy optimisation batman. That game runs so well, especially for a beta.

A tip however - Lower AA from MSAA to SMAA. Trust me.

I was pulling around 70-80fps on MSAA at 1440p and everything else maxed.

Lowered to SMAA and was then pulling 160-180 so turned on HDR and set resolution scale to 125%. Still pulling 100-120 easy. More at quieter times in the game. Looks very sweet.

Over all, my thoughts. PVE was very fun. The last boss for the beta was challenging enough to make me want more.
    PVP however was complete ballsacks. I didn't even remotely enjoy it (and I wasn't getting $hit on during it either). Just found it very samey to any other arena shooter on the market. It's not something I'd be even bothered to think about going near again.

Will I buy it? Dunno yet. Like I said, really enjoyed the PVE and that sort of shooter/looter is quite enjoyable to me so I guess there is a good chance. Might just pop the base game for now and worry about expansion passes further down the line if I keep playing it. A sword, emote and Emblem is no where near enough reward to consider getting a delux version outside of the expansion pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Downloading was a bit iffy...up and down in terms of speed.

Played through the PVE part, wasn't bad at all.
    Baiscally used one of those rogue guys with a Magnum pistol the whole time.
    I can't remember there being a boss.

I think at one point I was defending somewhere for 3 waves..and there were 2 others with me...but I didn't invite them or attempt to join them...dunno if it does it automatically...and we split up pretty quickly after that back into what seemed our own storylines.

The games not bad, I'm not interested in PVP as I have Overwatch for that, and I don't know enough about the game or how much content there would be to warrant me purchasing it.

The only gripe..well...not a gripe is this world of handholding....but I had no idea what my skills did or how to really use them.
    I guess there was an explanation in the menus somewhere ...maybe...but I was too lazy to go look for them as I probably expected to be given on-screen prompts...as is the way in this era of gaming.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Downloading was a bit iffy...up and down in terms of speed.

Played through the PVE part, wasn't bad at all.
    Baiscally used one of those rogue guys with a Magnum pistol the whole time.
    I can't remember there being a boss.

I think at one point I was defending somewhere for 3 waves..and there were 2 others with me...but I didn't invite them or attempt to join them...dunno if it does it automatically...and we split up pretty quickly after that back into what seemed our own storylines.

The games not bad, I'm not interested in PVP as I have Overwatch for that, and I don't know enough about the game or how much content there would be to warrant me purchasing it.

The only gripe..well...not a gripe is this world of handholding....but I had no idea what my skills did or how to really use them.
    I guess there was an explanation in the menus somewhere ...maybe...but I was too lazy to go look for them as I probably expected to be given on-screen prompts...as is the way in this era of gaming.

If you go on again when you hit escape select open character then click on the subclass in the top left, it will show you the skill trees and hovering over each one will tell you what it does.

Noxin wrote: »
    Holy optimisation batman. That game runs so well, especially for a beta.

A tip however - Lower AA from MSAA to SMAA. Trust me.

I was pulling around 70-80fps on MSAA at 1440p and everything else maxed.

Lowered to SMAA and was then pulling 160-180 so turned on HDR and set resolution scale to 125%. Still pulling 100-120 easy. More at quieter times in the game. Looks very sweet.

Over all, my thoughts. PVE was very fun. The last boss for the beta was challenging enough to make me want more.
    PVP however was complete ballsacks. I didn't even remotely enjoy it (and I wasn't getting $hit on during it either). Just found it very samey to any other arena shooter on the market. It's not something I'd be even bothered to think about going near again.

Will I buy it? Dunno yet. Like I said, really enjoyed the PVE and that sort of shooter/looter is quite enjoyable to me so I guess there is a good chance. Might just pop the base game for now and worry about expansion passes further down the line if I keep playing it. A sword, emote and Emblem is no where near enough reward to consider getting a delux version outside of the expansion pass.

+1 about your impressions of pvp and pve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Played a bit today, got bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just played through the intro there and a bit of PVP. Not sure if its for me.....:(

Given this numerous tries now PVP and PVE are both dull. I don't think this beta has done them any favours.

Given this numerous tries now PVP and PVE are both dull. I don't think this beta has done them any favours.

I have to agree, looked great pve played well but i just wonder about content, overall it didnt inspire a preorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Hey Guys

A bit saddening to see the comments about Destiny 2 :( Perhaps I can address some concerns.

Background: I played Destiny 1 on PS4, a lot. But once a PCMR, PCMR for life amirite? :cool:

PvP:
    1. To compare it to overwatch is foolish imo. These are two completely different games.
    2. PvP does become easier the more you play it.
    3. Trust me on this please. It does become easier the more you play.
    4. The Melee skill is not as overpowered as you may think. It seems that way but that is because your opponent is fully charged in the melee skill. Uncharged you will not die in a single hit unless you're low life.
    5. PvP is decent because most arenas have level advantage disabled. Therefore it is 95% about skill, 4% about class build and 1% about gear loadout.

PvE:
    1. The PvE you saw during the Open Beta is a drop in the ocean to what the full game will have.
    2. You will have free roam. When you go to an area you're able to move around a massive world.
    3. You do however need to go into the "Director" to move to another world. This is not nearly as painful as you may think. Tbh it works fantastically when you're building a fire team.
    4. This is ultimately an MMO. An MMO with an amazing story and excellent gun play.

Interface:
    1. The interface does seem to favour the console more. Yet if you just give it a chance you'll see that it works well.
    2. Because this was an Open Beta, you were not privy to all the loot that drops from the game. Thus you were unable to see how the interface works when you get new gear.
    3. Hovering over a item and holding Q (I think) would compare the two items.
    4. How do you know if you have a new item? Simple, open the inventory and look for flashing squares in your gear slots.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

The Open Beta on PC did make a mistake in that it catered for veteran players and not new comers.

Do not be dissuaded because you had a less than stellar experience in your first play through. I was confused af when I played it at first but after a few hours everything became intuitive.

Sounds great but what about loot and progression?
    The division for example has great gunplay,visuals,setting etc but just not enough content,loot or meaningful progression.
    I would hope Destiny 2 would have more in this department?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

amazing story??? not if destiny 1 is anything to go by. Bought it on release and i had no idea as to what race i was, who i was fighting why i was fighting, or what the hell was going on other than pew pew loot loot. it had some very good gameplay stuff but story was not one of its strong points by a long shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Dcully wrote: »
    Sounds great but what about loot and progression?
    The division for example has great gunplay,visuals,setting etc but just not enough content,loot or meaningful progression.
    I would hope Destiny 2 would have more in this department?

Would have to disagree on The Divisions gun play. It was terrible. Visuals and setting was amazing though <3

I cannot say for certain what Destiny 2 loot and progression will be like. They seem to have learned from Destiny 1 and have brought on two more studios to help with content which is promising.

It's not going to be WoW in terms of content, loot and progression though.

In a way I think that because PCMR will be getting the game much later, it will help players make a more informed decision. The honey moon period will be over by the 24th October.

It's something to keep an eye on for sure.

Will be great to join a Boards PC Destiny clan.
    amazing story??? not if destiny 1 is anything to go by. Bought it on release and i had no idea as to what race i was, who i was fighting why i was fighting, or what the hell was going on other than pew pew loot loot. it had some very good gameplay stuff but story was not one of its strong points by a long shot

100% agreed. It only came into it's own after The Taking King expansion dropped. As I previously mentioned, they seemed to have learned and have done better this time around. I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Thanks for trying to help us understand the game but perhaps you can explain for example why is the PvE more than just a wave shooter and how does PvP compare to other popular PC FPS games?

My impression of the Beta was that this is just a generic shooter like Halo. I know there is a place for games like Halo (I loved those games on the xbox back in the day) but PC games have moved on...if even just a little :)

...I still think I'm missing something, it can't just be hype, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

micro transactions oh how i love thee :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Destiny's story was a bit meh until The Taken King. I really enjoyed it after that.

Advertisement