Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 5th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. Sunday 27th August 2017

• 15-08-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Location: The National Beer Mile track, Kilbogget Park, Cabinteely

Date: Sunday 27th August 2017

Rules:
    Rules (below) will be the same as the last four years. For more information on beer mile rules and information in general see beermile . com

4 laps.
    1 12 oz beer per lap..
    Must be at least 5 % ABV.
    Puking means a penalty lap.
    You must be over 18.
    You must acknowledge that drinking 4 beers and running a mile is an irresponsible thing to do, but it's just a bit of juvenile fun.
    Fancy dress is permitted.
    Competitors must remain clothed during the event
    Competitors are asked not to fill up on beans and eggs before the event.

12 oz beers are hard to find in Ireland, so make sure to buy some in advance. This is a nonsense American measure, but it’s part of the official rules so make sure to find some.

Medals:
    I’ve ordered beer bottle opener medals for both the men’s and women’s categories. Fingers crossed that they arrive on time :-P

Keeping with tradition, we plan to head into Dublin city centre afterward to celebrate making beer mile history, in whatever form.

If you're interested in coming either PM me or add yourself to the facebook event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/119823755335863

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would rather a mug than a race t-shirt than a medal tbh - not a bling bandit

Really just posting to say I've edited link into first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Would rather a mug than a race t-shirt than a medal tbh - not a bling bandit

Really just posting to say I've edited link into first post.

its a beer bottle opening medal!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

IvoryTower wrote: »
    its a beer bottle opening medal!

Hipsters and their bottle openers. What's wrong with using your teeth? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Facebook page says Sat 26th.

Edit: Changed now to 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Can't think of a better way to relax after a 2 hour long run :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Good work organising this. Good to see new people doing it rather than it being left to the same people. Should be able to make it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DrDrankEngine

Great! :-)

Not much talk here. So who's heading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I plan to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Moccatron

I'll be there!

• Advertisement

I expect there'll be at least 5 from our HHH competing, plus a few extras to watch and help out.

I think I beer mile 2016 was a one-off for me. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'll be there, to take back the trophy that was so cruelly taken from me in the last 9 metres last year. Now to just start training for it...

Preparations have been a bit of a disaster. Got some sort of a session in last Saturday when away with friends. Skulled 4 Peroni (not a beer mile beer, but it was what I had on me at the time) but with plenty of recovery between each. First 3 were standing, the last one after running a few laps of the garden. Times 19-24-19-31.

Since then I've come down with a dose, so the planned training session for mid week is out. I should be well recovered in a couple of days but with commitments on Friday and Saturday I'm not sure how I'm going to fit any structured training in.

Looks like this will be the worst prepared I will have ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sunday afternoon beer mile. Hmmmmm :)

Sunday afternoon beer mile. Hmmmmm :)

Be there. I want to avenge that defeat from 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Be there. I want to avenge that defeat from 2 years ago.

It's a maybe for me. Have a marathon the following weekend so not the best prep for it. Mind you it hasn't exactly been a great prep all round over last couple of months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

Do you start off drinking a beer or do you drink a beer after each lap is finished?

If you drink it after each lap, does that mean that your race isn't over until you finish the last beer?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Beer first, then lap. Race ends after the 4th lap.

Just one day til the event we've all been waiting for!

Got some necking practice in yesterday although I'm not sure if it will be enough! Being good at the beer mile seems to be more of a way of life than a once off preparation.

Anyway, see you all tomorrow at 3pm!

• Advertisement

9:21 for me for 5th out of 9. Happy enough as was banged up with a dose all week and only this morning I was close to pulling out. Big thanks to DrDrank for keeping this fine event alive. Personal circumstances meant I couldn't commit to organising this. Next year the 2 of us will come together to make this event bigger and better than ever.

Who are the champions?

Congrats to CR7 on taking the title, upgrading on his 2nd place from last year. Joins the pantheon of Irish beer mile greats.

No female champion. Only one competitor and she bailed after a beer and a half. No prizes for participating in this game.

No women?

Murph_D wrote: »
    No women?

My housemate was back home in Poland for her sisters wedding. Otherwise she'd have been a dead cert. 12 mins last year. Respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Couldn't make it this year I'm afraid. Had a flood in the house last weekend and had the ceiling replaced today so couldn't leave :(

Sure I'll keep the title safe for another year ;)

Such a great event! Totally in for next year!

Well done to everyone who took part and massive thanks to all of those who helped out with the score-keeping, videographing, trophy-presenting, empty-retrieving, starter-kazooing and generally supporting!

Kilbogget is such a class location! :-D

• Advertisement

By the way, @SimonW, your track record is looking good! Improving by almost a minute each year! In a few years the world title should be well within your grasp! ;-)

Advertisement