Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping Alcohol to Japan

• 24-08-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

A buddy of mine in Japan wants me to send him some Bulmers of all things... I know this is a no go with An Post but will DHL or similar send it for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Isn't Magners the same as Bulmers or are there some differences?

Assuming they are the same then you might be able to avoid the shipping angle and just get your mate to look for that...
    http://www.magners.jp/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

He really wants Bulmers as its Irish and something different!

He did me a favour recently so would like to send him over a six pack if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Paddy GT wrote: »
    He really wants Bulmers as its Irish and something different! He did me a favour recently so would like to send him over a six pack if possible

I'd be sending him some Tayto :)

It looks like Magners comes from the same place as Bulmers i.e. Tipperary.
    The name thing it's purely a marketing label difference. They are both "Irish Ciders".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magners

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'd be sending him some Tayto :)

It looks like Magners comes from the same place as Bulmers i.e. Tipperary.
    Yes, I imagine that stuff in japan is brewed in Ireland, it was the same 4.5%.

There is a UK brand of cider called bulmers so it had to change name in the UK and then just seemed to run with that name everywhere.

Tayto will not ship crisps to the UK as there is a NI tayto company. And you cannot sell UK made batchelors supernoodles here, as we have the batchelors beans brand here so they are rebranded as mcdonnells supernoodles here.

a 6 pack of cans would be about 3kg, then about 4kg with packing. That would be €57 standard post with an post, if they did allow liquids. I would expect a courier shipping liquid to be a lot more.

I am amazed people still do this "sending food/drink packages" to other countries. I expect most countries have "ex pat" shops or at least online sources for this stuff, they will often charge a fortune but would be cheaper than using post/couriers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's €64 a kg with An Post. Actually it's not as €100 for 5kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

If someone sent me booze in the post, well I'm not sure I'd be too happy paying customs, excise and VAT (including VAT on postage).
    Try to source Magners in Japan and get it shipped to him from there. It was probably brewed in Ireland anyway, and if not it's the thought that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Magners is the same the world over. All made in Tipp.

It's only called Bulmers here as the company originally licensed the trademark from Bulmers in the UK. Heck they even tried to buy Bulmers UK business about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Magners is definitely what you're looking for. Maybe for the authentic feel you could get an Irish Bulmers pint/500ml glass sent over. Then he doesn't even have to look at the Magners name when enjoying his cider.

Advertisement