Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you get tickets for an All Ireland Final?

• 21-08-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

So how does everyone do it? I read about how they're distributed and people tell me that they're confident of getting them "from their source." But what has been your source in the past?

I've only been to the 2008 final and got them through a county board member at the time. We had been getting tickets through him for all championship games for close to a decade - between 3 and 6 each time and he was very decent to sort us out with 4 for the final. Rubbish tickets, but they were in the ground so we were fairly grateful! Club allocations never seem to be even close to enough, so where else do people get them?

Admittedly I'm concerned for this one. I think one will show up somewhere. I'm asking around with everyone I know but there's no route I'm confident of getting one through. Unfortunately I'm a member in a Dublin club which is made up of country lads, so I think we'll get two and have about 40 lads in the draw for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

There is always massive demand for tickets leading up to the hurling final but usually if you have your work done they do tend to appear around Friday or Saturday. Lads tend to buy too many when they can and suddenly find out family member or buddy who asked them to keep an eye out got sorted elsewhere.

I would speak to as many people from the counties involved as possible if you know anyone. In your work perhaps there are suppliers/banks etc with corporate tickets?

I know an umpire that always has a ticket or two when I'm stuck. I go every year if I can and would chance Gills pub or somewhere like that at 12 0 clock too you might meet someone selling at face value before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Usually knowing people in other counties is a big help. Other than that, being a member of the local GAA of course is how we got them in the past but sounds like you know that already. With Waterford and Galway in the final a lot of people are going to want to go than usual making things even harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Managed to get one through a FOAF in 2011. Between five or six of us we all managed to land tickets individually, but every year since then it's been impossible to get anything for football finals involving Dublin. I think between all of us the last time we got any tickets was two of them in 2013.

To be fair, none of us are involved in clubs (yet) for a number of reasons, so we don't feel hard done by or entitled to tickets. Sources for us have usually been 3rd hand - someone who can get tickets because they've a business connection involved in a club. We've managed to find a couple of sources this year, so fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how do you get tickets to an all ireland final?
    1. you become an active member of your local club.
    2. you become a season ticket holder in your county.
    3. you go to games and get your tickets through your club.

generally 1 or a combination of the above, guarantees everybody a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah, that's the way a lot of people get tickets, but it far from guarantees everybody a ticket! The season tickets certainly do guarantee people tickets, but between Waterford and Galway would there be 2,000 season ticket holders? I doubt it to be honest.

And being an active member with your local club and going to games far from guarantees you tickets. It gives you a good chance, but come all Ireland final time you might very well be in trouble.

But anyway, I think competing counties get about 35,000 tickets between them including the minors. What about the other 45,000 tickets. How do they end up in people's hands? I've often heard of people getting a corporate tickets. Or from guards and people selling them around the ground on the day. And there are a hell of a lot of active GAA members in clubs not in their own county. They usually end up getting in, but again where do these people get tickets from? Clubs from non-competing counties get very small allocations, I can't imagine it's easy to get your club tickets for a final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

As someone who is married to a Kilkenny man and who has attended their fair share of all
    Irelands over the past decade or so, you get them by being a member of your local club (even then it's not guaranteed as it's a lottery) or having a season ticket. Other than that it's down to who you know. Whether it's a sponsor with an allocation or someone in the GAA locally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A few years old but this is where the tickets go to...

All-Ireland ticket breakdown for 2011

Any changes from the 2010 allocation are indicated in brackets.
    County allocations: 58,401 (-604)
    Provinces: 335 (-50)
    Overseas: 470 (-29)
    Central Council and former Presidents: 798 (-107)
    Camogie: 120
    Ladies’ football: 150
    Rounders and handball: 147 (-15)
    Sponsors: 935 (-35)
    Press: 254
    TV and radio: 74
    Schools and educational bodies: 2,229
    3rd Level: 240 (-38)
    Croke Park residents: 250
    Match officials and national referees’ panel: 103 (-5)
    Irish Sports Council and health bodies: 60 (-10)
    Match day / Vertigo / minor teams: 148 (-52)
    GAA staff and sub-committees: 718 (-93)
    Jubilee teams: 68 (-69)
    Mini-sevens: 244 (-2)
    Term tickets: 4,144 (-11)
    Season tickets: 1,884 (+1,120)
    Total available for distribution: 71,772
    Premium and corporate seating*: 10,528
    Total capacity (as per planning permission): 82,300

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

blue note wrote: »
    Ah, that's the way a lot of people get tickets, but it far from guarantees everybody a ticket! The season tickets certainly do guarantee people tickets, but between Waterford and Galway would there be 2,000 season ticket holders? I doubt it to be honest.

And being an active member with your local club and going to games far from guarantees you tickets. It gives you a good chance, but come all Ireland final time you might very well be in trouble.

But anyway, I think competing counties get about 35,000 tickets between them including the minors. What about the other 45,000 tickets. How do they end up in people's hands? I've often heard of people getting a corporate tickets. Or from guards and people selling them around the ground on the day. And there are a hell of a lot of active GAA members in clubs not in their own county. They usually end up getting in, but again where do these people get tickets from? Clubs from non-competing counties get very small allocations, I can't imagine it's easy to get your club tickets for a final.

Every club in the country gets Tickets.
    Then you've camogie, ladies football, rounders and handball getting an allocation
    Provinces get a few hundred
    500 go overseas
    Central council gets an allocation
    10000 is corporate and premium seating
    Gaa staff
    Irish press
    Corporate sponsors get 1000 or so
    Croke oark residents get 250
    Vertigo tickets. if you get a crap ticket in the corner of the upper Davin find a steward and say you suffer from vertigo. They've a number of seats in the lower tiers reserved for people who suffers from vertigo/fear of heights
    Season ticket holders
    2000 tickets go to schools and the likes of cuman na mbunscoil

• Registered Users Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭shmeee

road_high wrote: »
    Usually knowing people in other counties is a big help. Other than that, being a member of the local GAA of course is how we got them in the past but sounds like you know that already. With Waterford and Galway in the final a lot of people are going to want to go than usual making things even harder.

That will work if you go to a county that has no interest as such in Hurling.

Tipperary got an awful small allocation of this for this years AI, 700 or so and mostly upper Davin. When you break it down to current panel members, each club to get tickets, county officials and previous AI winners etc it is a small amount and nothing spare for those asking in Tipp.

I've never failed to get tickets for an All Ireland my county was involved in, again I've very good sources but anyone that wants to go, will get a ticket, be it the Sunday morning of the game.

Don't panic is the main thing, tickets will come around. Lads ask about 50 people in the build up then end up having too many tickets.

Last year a group of use ended up with a heap of spares on the Sunday morning and effort to off-load them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Tipp v Kilkenny is easy peasy for tickets as both counties have had their share of finals recently. 2 yrs ago there were all Ireland tickets on sale the night before online and outside the ground on the day!
    Last year I got 6 tickets without too much bother. Kilkenny bring about 15-20k fans to the final.
    There will be big demand for tickets this year allright

• Advertisement

I'm not going to panic. neither county brings particularly big support, so I don't think it'll be too mad to get a ticket. I remember for the 08 final being offered 2 more tickets on the day - as someone here said everyone asks everyone they know and then some people end up trying to offload them.

But those saying be active in your club and go to the games - if less than half the tickets go to the competing counties, clearly the majority of people don't get their tickets this way. I'm curious to hear from people themselves how they get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Press Here for All Ireland Ticket request list : ;)

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I'm not going to panic. neither county brings particularly big support, so I don't think it'll be too mad to get a ticket. I remember for the 08 final being offered 2 more tickets on the day - as someone here said everyone asks everyone they know and then some people end up trying to offload them.

But those saying be active in your club and go to the games - if less than half the tickets go to the competing counties, clearly the majority of people don't get their tickets this way. I'm curious to hear from people themselves how they get them.

The crowd on the day isn't going to be 40k from Galway and 40k from Waterford. You will have thousands of neutrals there. I go every year and there are many more like me.

The crowd on the day isn't going to be 40k from Galway and 40k from Waterford. You will have thousands of neutrals there. I go every year and there are many more like me.

Ands where do you get your tickets so?

Ands where do you get your tickets so?

From my club usually.

From my club usually.

And is there not massive demand for them every year? My club will get a couple this year, but I reckon I'll have about a 5% chance of getting one through the club because we're a non competing county. Do your club raffle them or do they set one aside for you?

Or are you from Kilkenny and therefore basically always a competing county?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭shmeee

And is there not massive demand for them every year? My club will get a couple this year, but I reckon I'll have about a 5% chance of getting one through the club because we're a non competing county. Do your club raffle them or do they set one aside for you?

A 5% chance is decent.

Our club will only get between 4 - 6 tickets and the officers will have first call at that even.

How many tickets will your club get?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

When Mayo is competing I get my ticket from my season ticket and prior to that I always got one from my club. But on the club part, it totally depends on what size of a club you're dealing with. In Mayo, senior clubs get the most tickets, followed by junior and intermediate. Our club would generally have enough tickets to accommodate all/most of their members but often times a good 50% of what they get are terrace tickets. Other clubs would have 100s of members so it's a total lottery.

To source tickets you have to be persistant (ask everyone you know!!) and remember to help out friends in years your county isn't competing in the hope the favour will be returned. I've twice won tickets in competitions, I've gotten tickets from a friend that's club chairman in another county, I've gotten tickets by going to a competing county's hotel the night before/morning of a game, and as a teacher I've gotten tickets through cumann na mbunscoil, I've gotten tickets from a friend that worked in Croke Park.

You'll hear lots of different ways of getting them but it's down to what leg work you're willing to put in to get that ticket. Always hear people saying they can't get tickets but when you ask, they've done very little to try and secure one!

A few years ago, a friend of mine was walking down the street in Drumcondra the week before I game and literally bumped into the GAA president. He recognised him and introduced himself and asked if there was any chance of a ticket and he whipped one out of his pocket and gave it to him! He didn't even have to pay for it!!!! If you don't ask you don't get....

Not from Kilkenny.

We get 5 tickets usually every year. They are given out to people who work in the club and who are going themselves. We feel it's the fairest way and there's never been much of an issue with it. If there's a lot from the club looking to go I'll usually get tickets elsewhere from contacts in other counties.

shmeee wrote:
    Our club will only get between 4 - 6 tickets and the officers will have first call at that even.

shmeee wrote:
    How many tickets will your club get?

shmeee wrote:
    A 5% chance is decent.

In the past we've gotten 2, we might get a third since we've an extra team in the championship this year. But we do an open draw. There aren't enough to look after the officers, managers and whoever, so just throw them all in.

A 5% chance isn't the worst, but it means there's a 95% chance I'll bide stressed about getting one!

• Advertisement

We get 5 tickets usually every year. They are given out to people who work in the club and who are going themselves. We feel it's the fairest way and there's never been much of an issue with it. If there's a lot from the club looking to go I'll usually get tickets elsewhere from contacts in other counties.

When you say contacts in other counties, is that other clubs giving their allocation to you? Is there really a club in the country who wouldn't want tickets to the ai hurling final?

Sorry, I'm just trying to get my head around how the tickets actually get to the patrons.

When you say contacts in other counties, is that other clubs giving their allocation to you? Is there really a club in the country who wouldn't want tickets to the ai hurling final?

Sorry, I'm just trying to get my head around how the tickets actually get to the patrons.

Don't be sorry, ask all you want. It would be someone from another club - not the club themselves. County board officials are another good source if you knew any or anyone close to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

You'd ask someone heavily involved in another club to request a ticket and if they get it, they'll give it to you basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Don't be sorry, ask all you want. It would be someone from another club - not the club themselves. County board officials are another good source if you knew any or anyone close to them.

Another good source is county players from non-competing counties if you know any

glack wrote: »
    You'd ask someone heavily involved in another club to request a ticket and if they get it, they'll give it to you basically.

Yea, that's one way.

Then another way is to ask someone you know that has long term tickets if they're been used. Someone else just mentioned county players - every county player in every county is entitled to 2 tickets.

Basically you just try and identify as many possible sources of tickets as you can and follow up on them. I have yet to meet someone who didn't get a ticket for the hurling final if they made some bit of an effort to source them elsewhere.

Thanks. As I say, I'm genuinely curious and want to understand, but don't want to come across as aggressive demanding to know where people get their tickets!

08 Ireland final I got them through a county board officer, but on the morning of I was offered two more tickets. Just people trying to get all they could I'm sure and ending up with more than one. We no longer have that connection (my friend worked for him and doesn't any more). I reckon that sort of thing will happen again. But that's okay for me living in Dublin. I don't think my father would come up and take the chance that he'll get one if he doesn't have it in his hand the night before.

Ah, it's just such a bloody stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Yea, that's one way.

Then another way is to ask someone you know that has long term tickets if they're been used. Someone else just mentioned county players - every county player in every county is entitled to 2 tickets.

Basically you just try and identify as many possible sources of tickets as you can and follow up on them. I have yet to meet someone who didn't get a ticket for the hurling final if they made some bit of an effort to source them elsewhere.

I know last year wasn't a novel pairing with Tipp and KK in the final but I was drinking in the Hogan Stand pub before the game and the amount of tickets being sold outside on the road.

I'd be the same as yourself, I've never met someone who wanted a hurling ticket and didn't get one. Different story for the football

glack wrote: »

I got one for my housemate for the football final last year that way. I'm asking everywhere, and I think one will turn up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briangu

So how does everyone do it? I read about how they're distributed and people tell me that they're confident of getting them "from their source." But what has been your source in the past?

I've only been to the 2008 final and got them through a county board member at the time. We had been getting tickets through him for all championship games for close to a decade - between 3 and 6 each time and he was very decent to sort us out with 4 for the final. Rubbish tickets, but they were in the ground so we were fairly grateful! Club allocations never seem to be even close to enough, so where else do people get them?

Admittedly I'm concerned for this one. I think one will show up somewhere. I'm asking around with everyone I know but there's no route I'm confident of getting one through. Unfortunately I'm a member in a Dublin club which is made up of country lads, so I think we'll get two and have about 40 lads in the draw for them.

If you are a member of a club in Dublin or live in Dublin just join the Waterford GAA Supporters Club in Dublin - we get allocations for each match including the Final - might be too late this year but keep in mind for next year when we are going for 2 in a row

• Advertisement

briangu wrote:
    If you are a member of a club in Dublin or live in Dublin just join the Waterford GAA Supporters Club in Dublin - we get allocations for each match including the Final - might be too late this year but keep in mind for next year when we are going for 2 in a row

I probably will do for next year. Some of the events I hear ye do sound very good too!

Advertisement