Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Neflix Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Five episodes into The Defenders and it's so good! The first episode or two is a little slow, though still good, as they reintroduce the characters and set everything up but from episode 3, it's all go. Can't wait to finish!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I nearly flung my phone through my TV screen when Danny started moaning again :D Come ep 3 it's good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is this available now?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is this available now?

Yep, whole thing!

• Advertisement

I nearly flung my phone through my TV screen when Danny started moaning again :D Come ep 3 it's good fun.

He's had some great fight scenes so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Do you need to have watched all the Marvel series so far in order to watch this?..I'm only half way thru Luke Cage and 3 episodes of JJ, so am kinda loathe to start this just in case there's a plot twist or 2 given away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It builds on all their stories so far..

BUT

the other characters have had limited connections to each other

AND

they are now getting to know each other better OR for the first time

SO

There'd be a lot of taking stuff as it's given and understanding LOTS of stuff has happened

that with maybe knowing evening only one characters story.. it might be possible

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Do you need to have watched all the Marvel series so far in order to watch this?..I'm only half way thru Luke Cage and 3 episodes of JJ, so am kinda loathe to start this just in case there's a plot twist or 2 given away

At a minimum, the ends of Daredevil S2, Luke Cage S1 and Jessica Jones S1 are spoiled, as well as some less interesting plot lines from Iron Fist S1.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

From the 3rd episode on wards, it really picks up.. Think the 8 episode format is better than the 13.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    From the 3rd episode on wards, it really picks up.. Think the 8 episode format is better than the 13.

I think both Luke Cage and Iron fist suffered from the 13 episodes and both of them had about 7 good ones, so I have to agree.

Really enjoyed the Defenders, kinda wish this big divide between Netflix and the rest of the Marvel U didn't exist now, as a team of unregulated heroes running around NY is definitely something SHIELD or Stark would try to step in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And Misty would definitely have been keeping tabs on a certain wall crawling vigilante in Queens.

I don't buy the whole "13 episodes is too many" thing tbh. If it didn't work for you with certain shows, it's the showrunners fault, not the format. The format is just the parameter that the showrunner has to work inside and if they can't, they're the ones to blame. The format really worked for me in all the shows tbh but I think probably the strongest (in those terms) was Daredevil S1, wherein Drew Goddard just nailed the consistency.

Finished; really great series with a lot of good stuff set up for future instalments of each of the shows (probably least of all Luke Cage). Such a fun series overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,200 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The 13 episodes work well with one main character, but it wouldn't have worked with Defenders because you'd have to stretch each of their stories out.

Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. They all worked and gelled well together. The story was great and the side characters weren't forced into constant danger as busy work. Iron Fist is still the weakest link, but I felt he was better than in his solo show, particularly in his fighting scenes which didn't look as choreographed.

Penn wrote: »
    The 13 episodes work well with one main character, but it wouldn't have worked with Defenders because you'd have to stretch each of their stories out.

Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. They all worked and gelled well together. The story was great and the side characters weren't forced into constant danger as busy work. Iron Fist is still the weakest link, but I felt he was better than in his solo show, particularly in his fighting scenes which didn't look as choreographed.

I also feel like they've now set Danny up to be a lot more focused and mature in his second season.

I don't buy the whole "13 episodes is too many" thing tbh. If it didn't work for you with certain shows, it's the showrunners fault, not the format. The format is just the parameter that the showrunner has to work inside and if they can't, they're the ones to blame. The format really worked for me in all the shows tbh but I think probably the strongest (in those terms) was Daredevil S1, wherein Drew Goddard just nailed the consistency.

Can't disagree more man, some ideas just don't have the same scope as others. "rich white kid gets super powers and moans about it" just doesn't have the legs as any of the other characters, all of whom I really feel for in different ways, and series really had something to say.

That said I do think the showrunner (not sure who it was) made some critical mistakes in Iron Fist, including such wonderful tropes as Episode 1 style business deals pacing, and possibly the most boring trope of all, "hero loses his power, has to come to terms with himself before he can use it".

He's literally the character One Punch Man is designed to parody- but Defenders certainly makes him more likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Based on the trailers I was concerned that they'd push the we're not friends/a team stuff to groan inducing levels, but in the end I really liked the dynamics between the characters.

Cox and Ritter are the MVPS of the universe that Netflix and Marvel have built and they prove it here once again. Jones was still unfortunately weak for me as Fist. It's not that he's doing anything necessarily wrong. He's just fighting the unwavering tide of having been miscast in the first place. Colter has the cool factor down as the hero of the people but hasn't had the opportunity yet to truly flesh his character out beyond the usual tropes of the genre.

Weaver was ok, as in she did the best with what she had. She wasn't afforded the same opportunity that previous actors had been given in the preceding shows.

I enjoyed the Hand in Daredevil, felt it lost a bit of its mystique in Iron Fist, and ultimately was relegated to the sidelines here in favour of Elektra taking centre stage. Disappointing resolution to something that I felt showed early promise.

I enjoyed it anyway for the performances, but it didn't come close to Daredevil S1/S2 and Jessica Jones. I'd probably rank it ahead of Luke Cage with Iron Fist being an unfortunate situation altogether.

Based on the trailers I was concerned that they'd push the we're not friends/a team stuff to groan inducing levels, but in the end I really liked the dynamics between the characters.

Cox and Ritter are the MVPS of the universe that Netflix and Marvel have built and they prove it here once again. Jones was still unfortunately weak for me as Fist. It's not that he's doing anything necessarily wrong. He's just fighting the unwavering tide of having been miscast in the first place. Colter has the cool factor down as the hero of the people but hasn't had the opportunity yet to truly flesh his character out beyond the usual tropes of the genre.

Weaver was ok, as in she did the best with what she had. She wasn't afforded the same opportunity that previous actors had been given in the preceding shows.

I enjoyed the Hand in Daredevil, felt it lost a bit of its mystique in Iron Fist, and ultimately was relegated to the sidelines here in favour of Elektra taking centre stage. Disappointing resolution to something that I felt showed early promise.

I enjoyed it anyway for the performances, but it didn't come close to Daredevil S1/S2 and Jessica Jones. I'd probably rank it ahead of Luke Cage with Iron Fist being an unfortunate situation altogether.

I didn't- but should of- seen the Elektra thing coming. In the comics, she does a stint in charge of the hand.

I actually don't blame Finn Jones, I think he's just not been given much to do. He should be this unstoppable force of combat. He took on a dragon before he had any powers FFS. Yet he's consistently shown to be a bit dim, a bit annoying, and all I want to see is him kick the arse out of some bad guys with chi trails flailing around beautifully behind his hands as he does it.

I loved the DD/ JJ moments, and Colfer is money.

I actually did like they gave him and Jones some time to start working on a bit of chemistry. Hopefully that gets some deliberate direction now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Colter is money and perfect casting so agreed. Immense presence.

• Advertisement

Can't disagree more man, some ideas just don't have the same scope as others. "rich white kid gets super powers and moans about it" just doesn't have the legs as any of the other characters, all of whom I really feel for in different ways, and series really had something to say.

That said I do think the showrunner (not sure who it was) made some critical mistakes in Iron Fist, including such wonderful tropes as Episode 1 style business deals pacing, and possibly the most boring trope of all, "hero loses his power, has to come to terms with himself before he can use it".

He's literally the character One Punch Man is designed to parody- but Defenders certainly makes him more likeable.

That's kinda the point though; "rich white kid gets super powers and moans about it" didn't have to be the direction they went. If they'd put more thought into the direction of the show as a whole, they could have easily made it better... that said, I really liked most of Iron Fist!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,271 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is rumours today that
    Moon Knight
    may appear in The Punisher which in turn would set up
    Marvel Knights
    run of shows.

There is rumours today that
    Moon Knight
    may appear in The Punisher which in turn would set up
    Marvel Knights
    run of shows.

I could definitely dig that.

That character starts out as a mercenary, right? Seems a good fit for Punny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Finally got around to finishing The Defenders this morning.
    Tis was great, I was a tad bit disappointed, which was mainly due to my own massive expectations for it. It was impossible to live up to the hype I built around it. I was a big fan of all 5 shows that came before it, with DD S1, being the highlight for me.

I was just expecting it to be a bigger event than it was, but again this is more my own fault with impossible expectations rather than the quality of the show.

I was kinda hoping for a Coulson cameo to link things back to AoS, but then again, crossovers like that can get old, really fast. The interplay between all the main characters was great, which was a fun payoff from watching the individual shows. I really hope we get a season 2, which basically goes all in, Avengers style, and brings some of the AoS on board. Its probably just wishful thinking, and not realistic, but a season 2, main event style show would be fantastic, but I should probably just reset my expectations and enjoy it as it is.

I thought the show done a great job of setting up the next round of standalones, Iron fist in my eyes has been improved a lot, I actually liked his first series, but I think it would be excellent if they ran with the whole, him filling in for DD gig. JJ looks to be back in business and LC is ready to jump back into the fight with Mariah Dillard, with a less annoying, improved V:2.0 Misty Knight. It looks like Daredevil will be jumping into some version of the Born Again story.

This means each show can get straight back into the action, rather than taking a few episodes just to establish where everyone is.
    I'm Already looking forward to The Punisher. Jon Bernthal was the best thing about DD S2, I haven't seen any trailers, or read anything about it, so I don't know what to expect, but I hope he's ultra violent. He was a complete vengeful bad-ass in DD, so I hope they don't shy away and continue this persona in his own series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished Defenders off today and yeah, it definitely fizzles out by about episode 5; as before the biggest flaw is The Hand and its wishy-washy evilness that continued to be intentionally, and frustratingly, ambiguous. It's obviously an attempt to maintain mystery by withholding from the audience, but when they couldn't even bring themselves to properly explain Spoiler: The Substance, the uhh, substance, that gives them all eternal life to a newcomer, you know the writers are just over-reaching in keeping The Hand utterly unrelatable by way of mystery.

Anyway, it wasn't all bad; I really hope we see more crossovers now because the titular Defenders gelled really well. I wasn't expecting it, but Jessica & Matt worked well against each other, even betraying a smidgen of chemistry here & there; and Daredevil's po-faced seriousness could do with some snark. And I can't be the only one who really wants Luke & Danny to team up during their 'solo' runs. Speaking of Danny, the show managed to redeem him somewhat; he's still a total plonker, but by the last episode's end his character got a much needed polish & shine.

All in all, I hope The Defender is the capper to The Hand as adversaries in the Netflix Marvel universe: their story feels done, Spoiler: Electra's too & they just never worked for me in any case; either being too intangible, or not fully committed to any sci-fi premise to feel part of the MCU.

kerplun k wrote: »
    [...]

I was kinda hoping for a Coulson cameo to link things back to AoS, but then again, [...]

Never, ever going to happen; thematically and tonally the Netflix shows are too far into their own world. More immediately, given they can't even bring themselves to mention the invasion of NY by aliens, instead coyly referring to it as 'The Incident', clearly shows the MCU is being kept as distant from the Netflix series as humanly possible.

I imagine the recent decision by Disney to bring all their Marvel properties into their own streaming service is probably another definitive blocker to any crossovers...

They are keeping the release date secert.

I have a feeling the will drop it with advertising it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Big 'nope' for me; I get Punisher is a fairly big name, but I've never been able to get behind Frank Castle at all, let alone as protagonist or lead character. He's just a growling slab of meat, ploughing the clichéd "out for vengeance over a murdered loved one" plot-line into the ground. I'm a bit disappointed Netflix chose him as their first 'unscheduled' spin-off of their Marvel shows; there are surely more interesting candidates out there...

There hasn't been a crossover yet from the other parts of the MCU on a Netflix show.

I'm thinking The Punisher might just be the Netflix show that gets it.

If it's going to be done I have a gut feeling
    ......Nick Fury.....
    might have a cameo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I've seen that the defenders has had disappointing viewership for Netflix. The click bait sites are running with the news and blaming Iron Fist for this but I think it's more complicated at that.

For one, I was never a fan of the marketing with the trailers going out of their way to push the we're not buds pitch. Which is fine, but there's subtlety and then there's having actors repeatedly utter awkward lines about same. For die hards like myself we were always going to watch but I wouldn't be surprised if that clumsy type of dourness put people off.

I mean in the same episode that they had the leads converge, by the end they had them standing together united, so pushing the dissension so hard was unnecessary.

The second issue was not Iron Fist in itself but the placing of the seasons chronologically. In hindsight, for me, Daredevil Season 2 should have been the lead in to The Defenders given the amount of focus that was given to Matt and where he was left by the end of Season 2. They could swapped around Iron Fist and Daredevil Season 2 and the story would have been none worse off, while also giving The Defenders a solid lead in.

So I wouldn't blame Iron Fist or any of the actors, more so Marvel for mishandling the "first phase" of their Netflix project at the final 2 hurdles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So I've been making my way through the Netflix shows the last few weeks. I watched Daredevil season 1 when it came out but fell way behind on all the rest. My thoughts

Daredevil season 2:

Loved the punisher and can't wait for his show. Overall thought the season was weaker than the first but still had some amazing highs. Look forward to season 3. Very strong show.

Jessica Jones :

Depressing and difficult to get through at times. Killgrave was a great villain and he produced the best line of all the shows when he was arguing with Jessica at her family home. Went something like, "Do you know how difficult it is to be me. Having to constantly watch what you say and how you say it. Jesus christ Jessica; I once told a man to go screw himself. I mean, can you even imagine?"

Overall a good story but Jessica is probably the one I'm least interested in going forward at the moment.

Luke Cage:

I really enjoyed the Cage parts in Jessica Jones so was looking forward to this one and thought it was excellent for maybe 5/6 episodes with some dull ones thrown in and some outright stinkers in terms of decisions; namely the killing of cotton mouth. A low point only surpassed by the final fight between Cage and DiamondBack.

I don't really know what the point was in having Cage sleep with Misty when he was going onto have a love interest story with Clare the nurse.

It was very confusing to see Alfre Woodard play another character in the marvel universe. I thought we were going to explore the story of her son being killed during one of the Avengers fights in New York at first but no completely different character. Jarring.

I think cotton mouth could have been great given more time. Missed trick.

So it's Iron Fist next and then the defenders.

Advertisement