Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atypical (Netflix)

• 11-08-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched the first episode of this and really liked it.

Always thought Keir Gilchrist was excellent in United States of Tara a few years back and he's excellent in this too.

All 8 episodes released on Netflix today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Saw the trailer earlier and looks good, it's next on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished the first episode myself... Really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I'm on the spectrum myself and I've seen a lot of negative reviews about its portrayal, haven't played it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Half way through and really enjoying it. It's really sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I really enjoyed it too.

I'd like to know how close it is to being a true representation of autism. I've read conflicting stories online over the past few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I really enjoyed it too.

I'd like to know how close it is to being a true representation of autism. I've read conflicting stories online over the past few days.

It seems to have gotten a lot of stick and it has so much weight on its shoulders that it was bound to not please everyone. I can understand some of the concerns in terms of representation and how it can stray into cliche in that regard. I really enjoyed it though and I thought Gilchrist done a great job in amongst a really good supporting cast. I know there's accusations that the show is trying to make you laugh at Sam and could encourage bullying but while I laugh at some of the situations he got into, I never felt I was laughing at him if that makes sense. It was quite a sweet show and heartbreaking at times.

Also, Michael Rapaport does a great turn as the father. I urge everyone to check out his A Tribe Called Quest documentary as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Watching the first couple of episodes and enjoying it so far. The actors are all quite good.

Interested to see how they handle it. Hopefully it's more drama than comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Loved it, daughter stole the show for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

This is a great little show. Good performances all round, and it gets the tone right between the comedy and more serious aspects.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Renewed for a second season of ten episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Back for season 2 on September 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m really enjoying series 1 , but I can’t help thinking that its way too rosy a complexion on autism and family life.
    I know there are huge variances in each person with autism and in their family lives but it’s a great show all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I enjoyed Season 1 but found Season 2 a bit boring and no where near as good.

Am half way through it.. it's grand but gone a bit too far into "(a)typical" (pun intended) family dramedy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Basq wrote: »
    Am half way through it.. it's grand but gone a bit too far into "(a)typical" (pun intended) family dramedy.

Sine one was good. Season two is trying to hard to be atypical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Would agree it's a grand show. Episodes are quite short so makes it easy viewing.

Some of the characters such as the former therapist didn't seem to serve much of a purpose for being in S2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Unearthly wrote: »
    Some of the characters such as the former therapist didn't seem to serve much of a purpose for being in S2
    Yes, I agree. What is the point of her character post-S1? Why should we care about her and her pregnancy at all? I find scenes with her and her life that are separate from Sam or his family so boring. Almost feels like a different show.

Anyways, overall, I really like this show, however...

Elsa is horrible. Just awful. One of the worst TV moms/wives in recent memory. Nearly as bad as Gemma Teller or Skyler White.

It's really weird the actors playing Sam and Casey being so much older. On some shows it's not noticeable, but it's very noticeable on this series. Keir Gilchrist was playing a teenager on United States of Tara, and that was nearly 10 years old. Sam does not look like an 18 year old, he looks like a man in his mid-twenties.

But Brigette Lundy-Paine playing Casey? Absolutely ridiculous having a woman in her mid-twenties playing a 15/16 year old. With that voice too? Why not hire a woman that's 18/19 to play a younger teenager? A 23 year old playing a 15 year old, with that voice, is way too jarring.

And her character being somewhere on the
    sexuality spectrum
    was not a big surprise, seeing as how she dresss, her voice, and the actress herself being
    gay/bi

The episode where Elsa gives Doug a night-light, and he's like "I'm a grown man, I don't need a night-light" (a normal, realistic reaction), but then at the end of the episode he leans over and actually turns on the night-light? 90's sitcom level cheese right there.

Kildare? Kild-aarrrgh?

Also, with Julia not being his therapist anymore, who the HELL is Sam talking to this season during the narration?

Positively, Zahid oozes confidence and Paige is marriage material.

Absolutely ridiculous having a woman in her mid-twenties playing a 15/16 year old. With that voice too? Why not hire a woman that's 18/19 to play a younger teenager? A 23 year old playing a 15 year old, with that voice, is way too jarring.
    This is far from a new thing.. the majority of actors playing teenagers on network telly are a few years older than they play.

Heck, most of the Dawson's Creek cast were in their mid to late twenties when that show started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Basq wrote: »
    This is far from a new thing.. the majority of actors playing teenagers on network telly are a few years older than they play.

Heck, most of the Dawson's Creek cast were in their mid to late twenties when that show started.
    Ugh...yeah, I know it's not a "new thing", I even mentioned how on some shows how it's not as noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

The mother in this is absolutely painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finished up on Season 2, its watchable alright. Zahid is the best character in the show by a mile. Will stick with it when season 3 come out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 3 just dropped this morning;

How's season 3?

Gonna start it later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Esse85 wrote: »
    How's season 3?

Gonna start it later this week.

I’m enjoying it. Nothing earth shattering but a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just binge watched. Its a nice feel good show.

I forgot how annoying Sam's mother is in this.

Also dunno what the point of Caseys boyfriend Evan is, pointless character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It dropped while the migration was happening, but Season 4 of this is live.

Still as enjoyable and lowkey sentimental as always; Sam's in college now, so the episodes bounce around between threads much more than before, trying to cover three separate aspects (the parents, Casey and Sam's lives)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm a huge fan but S4E03 nah. Fair dues to Casey and Izzy on the uniform thing but then it had to be rammed home with fellas in makeup and school skirts. Subtle as a sledgehammer. All the different arcs in this show were played out fairly nuanced earlier and now that like a shovel in the face. Good luck Sam.

• Advertisement

a blunt moment, but not unheard of either; not saying this is where the writers got their inspiration, but I do recall this story popping up, and the moment on the show reminded me:

Advertisement