Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U20 Club Rugby Leinster

• 09-08-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Inter-Pro U20 season close upon us and also the LC results. Any word and provincial teams? And any clubs recruiting well? I hear Trinity in Leinster leading the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Inter-Pro U20 season close upon us and also the LC results. Any word and provincial teams? And any clubs recruiting well? I hear Trinity in Leinster leading the way
    no real need for a thread on its own. Discussion will be much better if left in irish 20s thread and very hard to know about what clubs some will play at 20s with as their will be a lot waiting on LC results which can help determine what club they may play with as all depends on where they're in college

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

I've heard Lansdowne not done as well as usual. UCD will always recruit well as with Trinity no doubt. We're looking like having a good side but as with every year it is impossible to be fully sure until a week or 2 after the LC results. Talk of the qualifying part of the comp changing but I'd prefer it stays as is. It's not ideal but for me is at least the fairest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spectator1950

no real need for a thread on its own. Discussion will be much better if left in irish 20s thread and very hard to know about what clubs some will play at 20s with as their will be a lot waiting on LC results which can help determine what club they may play with as all depends on where they're in college
    What is name of this thread? Curious to see how this pans out over coming weeks

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    I've heard Lansdowne not done as well as usual. UCD will always recruit well as with Trinity no doubt. We're looking like having a good side but as with every year it is impossible to be fully sure until a week or 2 after the LC results. Talk of the qualifying part of the comp changing but I'd prefer it stays as is. It's not ideal but for me is at least the fairest option.
    Why are they changing the qualifier's? by all accounts it has been successful within in junior rugby in Leinster.
    What is been proposed?

Ireland u20 2018...

Why are they changing the qualifier's? by all accounts it has been successful within in junior rugby in Leinster. What is been proposed?
    some big scores run up. Not helping sides in many aspects set up for main part of the league...

• Advertisement

Why are they changing the qualifier's? by all accounts it has been successful within in junior rugby in Leinster.
    What is been proposed?
    Some clubs wanted to take the top 4 clubs out of the qualifiers to avoid big scores in the qualifiers. Seems pretty unfair to me. For me if clubs want to try qualify for The top league or 2 then they need to enter the qualifiers. Giving the top 3 the big advantage of being guaranteed qualified each year would make recruitment even more one sided.

What is been proposed?
    Some clubs wanted to take the top 4 clubs out of the qualifiers to avoid big scores in the qualifiers. Seems pretty unfair to me. For me if clubs want to try qualify for The top league or 2 then they need to enter the qualifiers. Giving the top 3 the big advantage of being guaranteed qualified each year would make recruitment even more one sided.
    That would seem a bit harsh and wouldn't be a good idea to play into teams hands on recruitment side of things. Is it the bottom four clubs in division 1 calling for this?

Ireland u20 2018...

Why are they changing the qualifier's? by all accounts it has been successful within in junior rugby in Leinster. What is been proposed?
    some big scores run up. Not helping sides in many aspects set up for main part of the league...
    Can't find that thread Ireland u20 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Rock seem to be recruiting hard offering financial scholarships to all under 20s loads of Michaels lads approached and joining, never thought I'd see Michaels boys in Rock colours. Will hurt Belvo & Wanderers most. Ambitious players will always go to top clubs and see if they can make the grade some clubs are more ambitious than others with their 20s. I see Tarf have taken a few of the Navan 20s from last year. Colleges will always get big numbers whether they have to many is another debate. Heard the opposite re Lansdowne that they are re building and have signed some decent players 4/5 with Leinster 20s and they seem to always pull a few unknowns from somewhere. A lot of their under 20s graduated or moved to senior or elsewhere so probably more opportunities there this year than usual. Heard Belvo struggling which is a shame as they used to be a top side but struggle at that level now & Rock recruitment drive won't help them, but 20s never fall into shape till Mid September so can all change in a month.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Rock seem to be recruiting hard offering financial scholarships to all under 20s loads of Michaels lads approached and joining, never thought I'd see Michaels boys in Rock colours. Will hurt Belvo & Wanderers most. Ambitious players will always go to top clubs and see if they can make the grade some clubs are more ambitious than others with their 20s. I see Tarf have taken a few of the Navan 20s from last year.
    Colleges will always get big numbers whether they have to many is another debate. Heard the opposite re Lansdowne that they are re building and have signed some decent players 4/5 with Leinster 20s and they seem to always pull a few
    unknowns from somewhere. A lot of their under 20s graduated or moved to senior or elsewhere so probably more opportunities there this year than usual. Heard Belvo struggling which is a shame as they used to be a top side but struggle at that level now & Rock recruitment drive won't help them, but 20s never fall into shape till Mid September so can all change in a month.
    Great to see Clontarf recruiting well think their model is fantastic. They are the team to watch out for. Taken in 9 Belvo SCT & a few others.
    Blackrock & st Michaels in same sentence would make me think that is not the case. Very hard to see that been true. Historically they target the Senior 2nds teams. Would disregard them.
    Heard Lansdowne have signed more than that from Leinster squads between the two squads they have been told to join Certain clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Rock seem to be recruiting hard offering financial scholarships to all under 20s loads of Michaels lads approached and joining, never thought I'd see Michaels boys in Rock colours. Will hurt Belvo & Wanderers most. Ambitious players will always go to top clubs and see if they can make the grade some clubs are more ambitious than others with their 20s. I see Tarf have taken a few of the Navan 20s from last year. Colleges will always get big numbers whether they have to many is another debate. Heard the opposite re Lansdowne that they are re building and have signed some decent players 4/5 with Leinster 20s and they seem to always pull a few unknowns from somewhere. A lot of their under 20s graduated or moved to senior or elsewhere so probably more opportunities there this year than usual. Heard Belvo struggling which is a shame as they used to be a top side but struggle at that level now & Rock recruitment drive won't help them, but 20s never fall into shape till Mid September so can all change in a month
    Great to see Clontarf recruiting well think their model is fantastic. They are the team to watch out for. Taken in 9 Belvo SCT & a few others.
    Blackrock & st Michaels in same sentence would make me think that is not the case. Very hard to see that been true. Historically they target the Senior 2nds teams. Would disregard them.
    Heard Lansdowne have signed more than that from Leinster squads between the two squads they have been told to join Certain clubs

Plenty of Michaels lads have turned out for Rock previously. Especially when Greg McWilliams was DoR of Under 20 rugby in Stradbrook. Historically, the late Noel Turley was a great link between Stradbrook and Michaels. Michaels old boy Davy Rowan was club captain some seasons back. So its not as unusual as you might think. Perhaps not so much in the last 4/5 years but it has been in the past.

There has been a lot in time and capital invested in Stradbrook over the past few years. There has been huge changes in governance off the pitch also. I hope it can help inject new talent on the pitch

GavMan wrote: »
    Plenty of Michaels lads have turned out for Rock previously. Especially when Greg McWilliams was DoR of Under 20 rugby in Stradbrook. Historically, the late Noel Turley was a great link between Stradbrook and Michaels. Michaels old boy Davy Rowan was club captain some seasons back. So its not as unusual as you might think. Perhaps not so much in the last 4/5 years but it has been in the past.

There has been a lot in time and capital invested in Stradbrook over the past few years. There has been huge changes in governance off the pitch also. I hope it can help inject new talent on the pitch

Well they are certainly throwing the money around serious offers going around the place from them, hope they have learned there lesson from last time they took this approach it all ended in tears

Well they are certainly throwing the money around serious offers going around the place from them, hope they have learned there lesson from last time they took this approach it all ended in tears

Still find this very hard to believe no money in that club. And agree they got burned by doing it all those years ago and probably still paying for it. Don't want to be bashing clubs either so will leave this as last comment!

Still find this very hard to believe no money in that club. And agree they got burned by doing it all those years ago and probably still paying for it. Don't want to be bashing clubs either so will leave this as last comment!

Any news rumours on who will be starting for the Leinster 20's? When is the interpro campaign starting? Would expect a big contingent of Belvo guys on it?

Rock seem to be recruiting hard offering financial scholarships to all under 20s loads of Michaels lads approached and joining, never thought I'd see Michaels boys in Rock colours. Will hurt Belvo & Wanderers most. Ambitious players will always go to top clubs and see if they can make the grade some clubs are more ambitious than others with their 20s. I see Tarf have taken a few of the Navan 20s from last year. Colleges will always get big numbers whether they have to many is another debate. Heard the opposite re Lansdowne that they are re building and have signed some decent players 4/5 with Leinster 20s and they seem to always pull a few unknowns from somewhere. A lot of their under 20s graduated or moved to senior or elsewhere so probably more opportunities there this year than usual. Heard Belvo struggling which is a shame as they used to be a top side but struggle at that level now & Rock recruitment drive won't help them, but 20s never fall into shape till Mid September so can all change in a month.
    Hadn't heard that about Rock. Pretty cheeky if they are, considering the political warpath they went on to 'remove' money. Can't see any top level Michaels talent going anywhere outside of the big 3 really. Belvo and Wanderers struggling for a good while now. Can't remember the last time wanderers played in the top league of 20s (must be the guts of 10 years). Lansdowne will always do well recruiting but had heard not been as successful as usual but I could easily be wrong - agree re: the 'unknowns'. Not aware of any Navan 20s lads coming to us outside of Daly.

Hadn't heard that about Rock. Pretty cheeky if they are, considering the political warpath they went on to 'remove' money. Can't see any top level Michaels talent going anywhere outside of the big 3 really. Belvo and Wanderers struggling for a good while now. Can't remember the last time wanderers played in the top league of 20s (must be the guts of 10 years). Lansdowne will always do well recruiting but had heard not been as successful as usual but I could easily be wrong - agree re: the 'unknowns'. Not aware of any Navan 20s lads coming to us outside of Daly.

Had heard that good 2nd row O'Dea? Was going to Tarf

Any news rumours on who will be starting for the Leinster 20's? When is the interpro campaign starting? Would expect a big contingent of Belvo guys on it?
    Why not keep all under 20s discussion to the one thread. Wont be enough discussion of just under 20 leagues to warrant its own thread.

Why not keep all under 20s discussion to the one thread. Wont be enough discussion of just under 20 leagues to warrant its own thread.
    What thread?

• Advertisement

There is a sizeable 20s club contingent not involved with the Irish 20s so can be treated differently especially in Leinster

ArmchairQB wrote:
    There is a sizeable 20s club contingent not involved with the Irish 20s so can be treated differently especially in Leinster
    yes but does 20s club rugby really need separate thread. Worked well in international thread so why change?

Had heard that good 2nd row O'Dea? Was going to Tarf
    Not that I've heard may be true but just not finalized yet.

Advertisement