Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dub V Monaghan. Watch one off game.

Options
  • 05-08-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have sky at home, but just the variety package.

Is it possible for me to watch a one off game like the Dublin V Monaghan game later ---- without having to sign up to sky sports etc for 6 months etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭obi604

howiya wrote: »

Thank you. Had a quick read there but couldn't find an answer to my question

Is this just viewable via the internet etc

Or can it be watched on a standard tv.

For me father so he just wants to watch it in the tv itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Any links for the game? I haven't sky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

obi604 wrote: »
    Thank you. Had a quick read there but couldn't find an answer to my question

Is this just viewable via the internet etc

Or can it be watched on a standard tv.

For me father so he just wants to watch it in the tv itself.

No one off TV option exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Any links for the game? I haven't sky

Use nowtv as posted above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

you can get it on laptop and use the tv as a "monitor" with hdmi cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im watching on nowtv and quality is pretty poor, wtahcable though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Im watching on nowtv and quality is pretty poor, wtahcable though

How is it poor, have you good broadband, is it the resolution/picture quality that's bad?

Just curious, I'm watching it on a kodi stream and the quality is excellent. It's not good enough that the quality is poor, for what is being toted as a proper alternative for anyone to watch these important games it's not good enough if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭obi604

No one off TV option exists.

thanks, so has to be viewed on the internet yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I'm watching it on NowTV here and the quality is acceptable but nowhere near broadcast satellite, I have 13.5mbs down and 1mb up. Kodi is an absolute waste of time, always choppy, freezing etc.

I'd demand a refund if it is not good quality. The whole thing is a farce and GAA games should be FTA by law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Doltanian wrote: »
    I'm watching it on NowTV here and the quality is acceptable but nowhere near broadcast satellite, I have 13.5mbs down and 1mb up. Kodi is an absolute waste of time, always choppy, freezing etc.

I'd demand a refund if it is not good quality. The whole thing is a farce and GAA games should be FTA by law.
    Yea, kodi very hit and miss, audio has shifted now so pictures and audio are out of sync.

That'd be a great law. Where would the GAA get TV money from? Why should every sporting occasion not be FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

That'd be a great law. Where would the GAA get TV money from? Why should every sporting occasion not be FTA?

From the other FTA broadcaster.

Because that is supposed to be the ethos of the GAA!

The promotion of the game should be the top of their agenda, not fecking money. They've enough money. They already collect 100 million per year, they dont need an extra 5. With all the TV rights and Concerts in Croke park, the games themsleves must be a serious inconvenience.

STB. wrote: »

The promotion of the game should be the top of their agenda, not fecking money. They've enough money. They already collect 100 million per year, they dont need an extra 5. With all the TV rights and Concerts in Croke park, the games themsleves must be a serious inconvenience.

Hang on. If the games had to be on FTA by law, why would a FTA broadcaster pay for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hang on. If the games had to be on FTA by law, why would a FTA broadcaster pay for them?
    Because we have more than one free to air broadcaster here. They would bid with each other as they did before sky came along.
    I do agree that gaa should be 100 percent free to air. Its a community sport, run by volunteers, played by unpaid guys so the least they could do is have it free to air. After all, they already make silly money on crokepark ticket sales, even more of a money spinner when you consider that the star act is unpaid.

Hang on!

How did you think the rights were paid for before Sky got their hands on games exclusively. The games were on TV3 and RTE. To put it in perspective the original deal done with Sky gained them and extra half million. Thats right they withheld champsionship games from even the most casual of viewer for that measly sum to put manners on the other FTA bidders.

Infact some of the games are protected by law from being anywhere pay related. They are the finals, which is just as well as who knows what the out of touch executive would do otherwise.

The strength of universal and free public service broadcasting is that it provides equality of access to every community within a country .

Hang on!

How did you think the rights were paid for before Sky got their hands on games exclusively. The games were on TV3 and RTE. To put it in perspective the original deal done with Sky gained them and extra half million. Thats right they withheld champsionship games from even the most casual of viewer for that measly sum to put manners on the other FTA bidders.

Infact some of the games are protected by law from being anywhere pay related. They are the finals, which is just as well as who knows what the out of touch executive would do otherwise.

The strength of universal and free public service broadcasting is that it provides equality of access to every community within a country .

So Much for the grab all association jibes then, eh?
    And as for putting manners on FTA broadcasters, proper order they are getting a great product for feck all

How is it poor, have you good broadband, is it the resolution/picture quality that's bad?

Just curious, I'm watching it on a kodi stream and the quality is excellent. It's not good enough that the quality is poor, for what is being toted as a proper alternative for anyone to watch these important games it's not good enough if that's the case.

BB is good, about 70mps, resolution etc is fine, but its the buffering/freezing thats the issue, especially so if i hook it up to the TV with a HDMI cable. Anyway i got fed up and went to the pub to watch the Dubs game and had a grand evening out, so ill wind and all that

So Much for the grab all association jibes then, eh?
    And as for putting manners on FTA broadcasters, proper order they are getting a great product for feck all

Who was jibing about the grab all association ?

What is your point ?

You agree that an organisation responsible for the promotion of the native sport, who pulled in 100million last year, yet felt that its should withhold some of the games from Irish people who cannot afford Sky Sports all for the sake of 0.5million was right ?

Oh and just incase you think they are self sustaining, the Irish people through government funding forked up €114 million for the redevelopment of Croke Park alone.

It is a great product. Its also a product that remains amateur (the player do not get paid) and needs to made available to the public for free. The promotion ethos of the GAA is well founded and these agreements are not compatible with that ethos.

Who was jibing about the grab all association ?

What is your point ?

You agree that an organisation responsible for the promotion of the native sport, who pulled in 100million last year, yet felt that its should withhold some of the games from Irish people who cannot afford Sky Sports all for the sake of 0.5million was right ?

Oh and just incase you think they are self sustaining, the Irish people through government funding forked up €114 million for the redevelopment of Croke Park alone.

It is a great product. Its also a product that remains amateur (the player do not get paid) and needs to made available to the public for free. The promotion ethos of the GAA is well founded and these agreements are not compatible with that ethos.

My point was that we regularly hear ill informed nonsense about the GAA being money obsessed etc yet that is not the case with the SKY deal. Money was not the over riding factor. Oh and i dont necessarily disagree with your argument btw

• Advertisement

All the money the GAA gets goes to supporting the provision of facilities and games development.

Clubs and Counties raise their own money, I am involved in the GAA locally and I can tell you that Croke Park and the "GAA" are far divorced from the reality of clubs and small counties around the country. All the money over the last 5 to 7 years has gone almost exclusively into the Dublin County Board and we have reached a state where Dublin is getting the majority of the resources and their teams are effectively professional teams. It is an absolute disgrace what is being done with the hundreds of millions of Euro when club teams all around the country are struggling out running events etc. to raise a few quid and every penny pumped into Dublin. Even Cork managed to raise the money for Pairc ui Chaoimh themselves with Govt help, Croke Park gave no help.

The modern GAA is corrupt to the very core and until there is a complete clear out of all involved then nothing will change. The Sky arrangement epitomises this perfectly. There is two teams in Football effectively Dublin and Kerry, wheras Hurling is struggling to remain competitive after a decade of Kilkennys complete utter destruction of the game as a competitive sport.

The GAA is being run as a soulless corrupt money grabbing corporation while its ordinary members are milked dry and ignored all to benefit Dublin which is the only county the GAA care about. Full Stop Period .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Clubs and Counties raise their own money, I am involved in the GAA locally and I can tell you that Croke Park and the "GAA" are far divorced from the reality of clubs and small counties around the country. All the money over the last 5 to 7 years has gone almost exclusively into the Dublin County Board and we have reached a state where Dublin is getting the majority of the resources and their teams are effectively professional teams. It is an absolute disgrace what is being done with the hundreds of millions of Euro when club teams all around the country are struggling out running events etc. to raise a few quid and every penny pumped into Dublin. Even Cork managed to raise the money for Pairc ui Chaoimh themselves with Govt help, Croke Park gave no help.

The modern GAA is corrupt to the very core and until there is a complete clear out of all involved then nothing will change. The Sky arrangement epitomises this perfectly. There is two teams in Football effectively Dublin and Kerry, wheras Hurling is struggling to remain competitive after a decade of Kilkennys complete utter destruction of the game as a competitive sport.

The GAA is being run as a soulless corrupt money grabbing corporation while its ordinary members are milked dry and ignored all to benefit Dublin which is the only county the GAA care about. Full Stop Period .

Jaysis, his granddad only wanted to watch the match on the tele this evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Doltanian wrote:

Where do you think the money is going to? Whose pockets are being filled?

Doltanian wrote:
    Even Cork managed to raise the money for Pairc ui Chaoimh themselves with Govt help, Croke Park gave no help.

Simply not true

Where do you think the money is going to? Whose pockets are being filled?

Thats not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is the GAA has become Dublin centric and far far too much resources are going into the Capital whilst rural small weaker counties and their clubs are totally neglected. However if proper investigations were carried out then you can be sure that there is plenty brown envelopes flying around too. What went on in FIFA was exposed but it is endemic in all sporting organisations and the GAA is no different.

Doltanian wrote:
    if proper investigations were carried out then you can be sure that there is plenty brown envelopes flying around too. What went on in FIFA was exposed but it is endemic in all sporting organisations and the GAA is no different.

Are you suggesting the GAA makes illicit payments?

Anyway back to the original question, ticket for todays game was €25 for the Hill or €35 for the stand. Anyone with a decent broadband connection could watch it for €10.

I understand from the website the nowtv box costs €25 and they post it out in a couple of days

My point was that we regularly hear ill informed nonsense about the GAA being money obsessed etc yet that is not the case with the SKY deal. Money was not the over riding factor. Oh and i dont necessarily disagree with your argument btw

Well you could be forgiven for thinking and believing that. In the initial deal with Sky Sports in early 2014, there was one thing the GAA was absolutely adamant about: this was a deal that was not about the money. They had after all only gained 0.5million moneywise.

They claimed it was about bringing the game to a larger audeience and giving access to the Irish diaspora.

Over the past three years the average number of people who watch GAA matches on Sky Sports is less than one-10th of those who previously watched games on TV3 (who Sky Sports displaced). The game was previously available to the Irish abroad through a station called Premier Sports at a fraction of the costs of Sky. So both nonsense arguements that have been proven in the poor viewing figures in the intervening years of the initial deal.

The new deal is clearly ALL about the money. In the process, if it means that it costs Irish emigrants in Britain a lot more to watch the games, then so be it. At the same time 1/3 of the games have been sold exclusively to Sky.

The GAA Annual Congress in 2016 voted down a motion put by Dublin GAA disallowing all future sales of TV rights to subscription pay-TV companies.

Every county council across Connacht (and Kerry in Munster) has now unanimously passed a motion condemning the GAA for selling its games to Sky.

I suggest you read articles by Dr Paul Rouse (he has written about the subject in detail on historyhub), heres the latest article he done for the newpapers
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/dark-clouds-still-surround-skys-deal-with-the-gaa-435490.html
    Are you suggesting the GAA makes illicit payments?

Anyway back to the original question, ticket for todays game was 8218;¬25 for the Hill or 8218;¬35 for the stand. Anyone with a decent broadband connection could watch it for 8218;¬10.

I understand from the website the nowtv box costs 8218;¬25 and they post it out in a couple of days

So go to the games or get a box and subscribe. Its the norm just pay. Nothing to see here. Thats your solution.

I think you will fnd that many people in reland cannot afford to pay for sports subscription packages. Many do not have broadband anyway. In any event, when was it ever about only those who can pay can watch. Thats not the ethos of the game nor its promotion. What happened to the "sense that the GAA belonged to everybody in Ireland, that it’s in every parish and village”, and because of that, no sale of games to Sky Sports could be tolerated stance ? (Paraic Duffy GAA Director General 2013)

STB. wrote:
    So go to the games or get a box and subscribe. Its the norm just pay. Nothing to see here. Thats your solution.

Vast majority of games are free to view including all provincial finals and all Ireland finals and semi finals.

It's not a subscription, you could have watched both of yesterdays games for a one off payment of €10.

I regularly pay €10 and €15 to watch club games.

Don't understand how one could believe they are entitled to watch for free?

Vast majority of games are free to view including all provincial finals and all Ireland finals and semi finals.

It's not a subscription, you could have watched both of yesterdays games for a one off payment of €10.

I regularly pay €10 and €15 to watch club games.

Don't understand how one could believe they are entitled to watch for free?

Subscription. an arrangement to receive something, typically a publication, regularly by paying in advance

It is a subscription. A third of the games are exclusively behind a paywall.

You don't understand or you refuse to understand why people should expect the games to be FTA? Have you only read your own posts ?

I'm sure you understand the history of the game.

The bottom line here is that the GAA is about community and that volunteer spirit and Sky is about business. Depriving people of the games (even the most casual viewer) is not promoting the sport, its burying it and making it available only to those who can afford it. Its the fast track to making it niche. Many people in this country do not have broadband, nevermind know how to use it. Regardless, you do not make it more difficult for people to view the games, some may never come back.
    GAA.IE wrote:
    The GAA has remained an amateur Association since its founding. Players, even at the highest level, do not receive payment for playing and the volunteer ethos remains one of the most important aspects of the GAA.

The organisation is based on the traditional parishes and counties of Ireland.As a community-based organisation, it is often stated that it is difficult to determine where the community end.

http://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/about-the-gaa/

• Advertisement

You can pay game by game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement