Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refugee Quota Poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

conorhal wrote: »
    Google, it's not hard. It tells me that there are over 17,000 Nigerians in Ireland despite handing out visas in the hundreds and they have a 40% unemployment rate. No very productive migrants.

So 60% are working?

And "no very productive migrants "? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

More than 4,000
    FraR wrote: »
    Zero. Refugees aim to flee a particular country, not travel through numerous safe countries to get to a European country with generous welfare.

The problem with that is should Greece and Italy be burdened with all the refugees?
    I mean just look at one's passport if from an EU country, we are like a state in the US and we nearly have a country called the EU as we are citizens of the European Union. We all work together to better the EU.
    Ireland has a housing problem but if people are cleared in Greece as being genuine and a non threat, we can't just say to Greece, it is your problem deal with it.
    All 28 soon to be 27 countries work together and that is fair.

The travelling through other countries was stopped, given it was proven to be a security threat to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭rgossip30

...Atari Jaguar
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Most confusing (and confused?) question and poll, ever!

OP, maybe outline your thinking on your question and we might get a hint as to what you're actually asking?

It has been edited unfortunately comments have to be allowed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Has anyone mentioned the poll? Tis a bit odd.

...Atari Jaguar
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the poll? Tis a bit odd.

Whats odd ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The poll is still pretty odd, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

More than 4,000
    The Housing Crisis is a deliberate set-up by a number of vested interests to make money from the Irish crack-cocaine addiction to owning property. And in some cases multiple properties. It drives up the price of housing to buy and also to rent.

And wait until The Soldiers of Bankruptcy get back into power. They will just amp up the market with steroids in the form of tax breaks for developers.

But to blame all this on Refugees is nonsensical. This is our own faults for voting politicians in and then not holding them to account.

But in terms of refugees, I'd be in favour of taking in the most persecuted group of refugees from Iraq only.

The Yazidi Christians.

...Atari Jaguar
    RobertKK wrote: »
    The problem with that is should Greece and Italy be burdened with all the refugees?
    I mean just look at one's passport if from an EU country, we are like a state in the US and we nearly have a country called the EU as we are citizens of the European Union. We all work together to better the EU.
    Ireland has a housing problem but if people are cleared in Greece as being genuine and a non threat, we can't just say to Greece, it is your problem deal with it.
    All 28 soon to be 27 countries work together and that is fair.

The travelling through other countries was stopped, given it was proven to be a security threat to the EU.

All countries are not working together and oppose taking in asylum seekers especially Eastern Europe .
    Fleeing war and persecution was the basis for refugee status.The consensus now appears to be economic persecution is acceptable .

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Whats odd ?

It's odd that you can't see an issue with it.

One of the answers in your poll is actually another question!

C) Should asylum seekers be allowed to work after one year

...Atari Jaguar
    It's odd that you can't see an issue with it.

One of the answers in your poll is actually another question!

C) Should asylum seekers be allowed to work after one year

Do I just delete it and start another thread and new poll with that question ?

How would you change it ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More than 4,000
    RobertKK wrote: »
    No nation should IMHO. If it were down to me I'd be cutting off the supply in the Mediterranean and other routes and certainly wouldn't be sending taxpayer funded glorified ferries to bring them into the EU. Importing so many people the vast majority of whom are young men from cultures very different to European culture(and yes it does exist) is importing more problems that it solves. Show me any nation in Europe* where the busted flush thought experiment that is "multiculturalism" hasn't caused problems and increasing ones. It's beyond daft a policy.

*namechecking the US/Canada/Australia are silly comparisons on all sorts of levels. They're nations founded on immigration/colonisation and have their own problems that are all too clear to see. The Irish diaspora is yet another silly comparison. 1) those who were "refugees" in the past were going to nations inviting immigrants in 2) they didn't receive social welfare 3) those moving today are able to work in the job markets of the places they're going to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

All countries are not working together and oppose taking in asylum seekers especially Eastern Europe .

Well, yes, and it's pretty counter-productive and short-sighted (and selfish) of them. But it's down to exactly the sort of attitudes already displayed in the very basis of the thread - whataboutery about EU migrant workers for one, attempting to solve an unrelated crisis by seeing what can be taken from the refugee group, since they have the least rights and can be most easily abused, the panic that more brown people means the end of white society and all the other bollockry.

It results in some countries having to bear a disproportionate amount of the cost of the problem - which is not the fault of individual refugees either - which results in enclaves that will not integrate, rejection and suspicion of individual people that naturally enough makes them less able to integrate even without packing them together like sardines and demanding that they then become Greek/British/whatever...somehow. It results in damage to the economies of the individual countries, especially ones that are struggling anyway, like Greece, and it risks the cohesiveness of the EU.

But people are short-sighted. Why are you surprised that other countries do it too?

Do I just delete it and start another thread and new poll with that question ?

How would you change it ?

Just use the tag below:

[Delete poll]

And then start again. Should work

More than 4,000
    Samaris wrote: »
    Well, yes, and it's pretty counter-productive and short-sighted (and selfish) of them. But it's down to exactly the sort of attitudes already displayed in the very basis of the thread - whataboutery about EU migrant workers for one, attempting to solve an unrelated crisis by seeing what can be taken from the refugee group, since they have the least rights and can be most easily abused, the panic that more brown people means the end of white society and all the other bollockry.

It results in some countries having to bear a disproportionate amount of the cost of the problem - which is not the fault of individual refugees either - which results in enclaves that will not integrate, rejection and suspicion of individual people that naturally enough makes them less able to integrate even without packing them together like sardines and demanding that they then become Greek/British/whatever...somehow. It results in damage to the economies of the individual countries, especially ones that are struggling anyway, like Greece, and it risks the cohesiveness of the EU.

But people are short-sighted. Why are you surprised that other countries do it too?

Why though?

They never invited the refugees to come in. Merkel did.
    If Germany invited them in and is now "overrun" with them, is that not her fault?

Why should the rest of the EU take in a bunch of Non-EU citizens if they don't want to?

Why should the rest of the EU pay for Germany's decision.

...Atari Jaguar
    Just use the tag below:

[Delete poll]

And then start again. Should work

You don't offer a suggestion on how it should be edited ?

You don't offer a suggestion on how it should be edited ?

You're very demanding!

Try post the below, should give you the option to edit then

[Edit poll]

Because basic humanity for a start.

Yes, there's limits and there's things that need to be done. But the whole "Ban them all, they add nothing to the state and I'm alright jack so I don't give a flying if thousands die" is selfish nonsense. The argument seems to be "if you support immigration you support unfettered immigration and you're a liberal idiots" versus "if you don't support immigration you want to ban everyone and you're a right-wing racist". Most people who want to argue "yes, we have a duty to take in refugees, as other countries have always done, including for us, but there is a massive crisis at the moment and countries need to work together to deal with it" get shouted down.

It'll be interesting to see how the argument changes when Ireland is being badly impacted by climate change and could start producing ...oh dear, economic migrants to deal with it. I suspect it will change quite sharply around that point. We'll probably manage to keep it up when it's only the Spanish, Portuguese, Greeks, Italians etcetera being affected, because why should we have to take in our neighbours? But eventually it'll hit us too. Not sure where we'll go. North, I assume.

More than 4,000

Yes, there's limits and there's things that need to be done. But the whole "Ban them all, they add nothing to the state and I'm alright jack so I don't give a flying if thousands die" is selfish nonsense. The argument seems to be "if you support immigration you support unfettered immigration and you're a liberal idiots" versus "if you don't support immigration you want to ban everyone and you're a right-wing racist". Most people who want to argue "yes, we have a duty to take in refugees, as other countries have always done, including for us, but there is a massive crisis at the moment and countries need to work together to deal with it" get shouted down.

It'll be interesting to see how the argument changes when Ireland is being badly impacted by climate change and could start producing ...oh dear, economic migrants to deal with it. I suspect it will change quite sharply around that point. We'll probably manage to keep it up when it's only the Spanish, Portuguese, Greeks, Italians etcetera being affected, because why should we have to take in our neighbours? But eventually it'll hit us too. Not sure where we'll go. North, I assume.

The difference is, Irish people are educated and go to these countries to work.

The vast, vast majority of refugees that are entering Germany have little to no education, are barely literate in their own languages and speak no German. And their own Government are now saying up to 75% of them will still be unemployed after 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Because there's a certain amount of uneducated scum who are inherently racist and stupid.

They don't understand that emigration works two ways.

There are Irish people in almost every country in the world, yet the racist scum that thankfully are in the minority here, have an issue.

Funny the same scum probably have family living in other countries - that's how stupid they are

Question : why do we owe half of Nigeria a free gaff and anything else welfare can provide?
    Answer : racist scum, stupid, also uneducated!

Well that clears that one up then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭FraR

More than 4,000
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    So 60% are working?

And "no very productive migrants "? Really?

Only 40% of Africans in Ireland are employed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I agree its basic Humanity.

We should take in refugees, but Climate Change will take place over this whole Earth not just this little Island near the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

More than 4,000
    The vast majority of those attempting to enter Europe are economic migrants, not refugees.

Australia has very clearly stated that anyone attempting to enter the country by boat will never be allowed resettle in that country. Meanwhile in Europe, we have NGO's tripping over each other to pull those funding the traffickers onto their ships & EU naval personnel acting as a glorified ferry service for those who deliberately put their lives (and those of their children) at risk.

It's an absolute disconnect from common sense on quite a staggering scale & shows a real contempt for ordinary Europeans, who have voiced an increasing unease at the volume and rate at which their communities are being asked to absorb the socio-economic cost of this stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-This thread will end up the same as every other refugee thread. Op. if you wish to start another go to politics cafe but ask the mods first if its ok.

Edit from Samaris (with permission :P): My bad, I was distracted by the poll! This really should have been deleted/closed straight off as it's one of a stream of the same threads repeatedly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement