Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does Fianna Fail have any conviction politicians?

• 20-07-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Other than Fianna Fail politicians whose only conviction is to get more votes and personal enrichment (and of course those who've been convicted for stuff like embezzlement, fraud and perjury), does Fianna Fail have any conviction politicians?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

FF and convictions in the one sentence? Does not compute.

Ultimate in populism is all they are, more than happy to swing in the wind on any subject if they thought there was a vote in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I'm going to try to be as fair as I can with them here...

It's hard to judge, given that Ireland lacks a policy-based "right/left" divide of any appreciable sort due to historical circumstances.

If you are looking for FF politicians who are in FF because of a set of solid policy commitments, then it will be tough to find one. If you are looking for FF politicians who are in FF because of they feel they genuinely ascribe to a vaguely coherent set of values (rather than policies) based around a commitment to civic republican principles and pro-europeanism combined with a philosophical adherence to economic populism and social liberalism, then I think you would find many.

They occupy a very similar ideological space to the Liberal Democrats in the UK. I'd argue that the corruption and rent seeking that they became synonymous with in the not the distant past was more a result of their longstanding dominance of the political field, rather than an aspect of any specific belief-set they may hold. Every dominant party system seems to go the same way in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Michael Mcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

[QUOTE=For Forks Sake;104142857Ultimate in populism is all they are, more than happy to swing in the wind on any subject if they thought there was a vote in it.[/QUOTE]

This represents FF/FG/Lab

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

At one point they did, Des O'Malley but he had to leave for his convictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

At one point they did, Des O'Malley but he had to leave for his convictions

True. I was forgetting about Dessie. A decent man.

It's quite sad. A political party where members with any moral or ideological convictions other than votes and self-enrichment end up leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think that cowen saying he left politics with the country on the way to recovery while ignoring that he was responsible for the crash says all we need to know about FF.
    Sad thing is , we'll vote them back into power next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I think that cowen saying he left politics with the country on the way to recovery while ignoring that he was responsible for the crash says all we need to know about FF.
    Sad thing is , we'll vote them back into power next time.

Or, how about in 2011 when the sh1t has really hit the fan, there was a spate of resignations from Fianna Fail politicians who claimed sudden "health problems". This should never ever be forgotten.

In the midst of a national crisis (of FF's making), we saw the true colours of Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

jetsonx wrote: »
    True. I was forgetting about Dessie. A decent man.

It's quite sad. A political party where members with any moral or ideological convictions other than votes and self-enrichment end up leaving.

But also Mary Harney.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jetsonx wrote: »
    Or, how about in 2011 when the sh1t has really hit the fan, there was a spate of resignations from Fianna Fail politicians who claimed sudden "health problems". This should never ever be forgotten.

In the midst of a national crisis (of FF's making), we saw the true colours of Fianna Fail.
    How about 1987 ?

https://irishelectionliterature.com/2010/07/19/health-cuts-hurt-the-old-the-sick-and-the-handicapped-fianna-fail-1987-general-election/

Guess who got into power, and guess what they did ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fianna Fail does have plenty of politicians who ought to be convicted.

Advertisement