Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ozark [Netflix] (***SPOILERS***)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

"It's not like breaking bad ergo it's not great"...

What kind of logic is being applied here? Like the show or don't like the show, whatever, but comparing it to breaking bad and the wire? That's just lost on me. Does this happen every time, on this forum, when a show is released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What kind of logic is being applied here? Like the show or don't like the show, whatever, but comparing it to breaking bad and the wire? That's just lost on me. Does this happen every time, on this forum, when a show is released?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Finished the series
    I liked it
    its not amazing but i enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Plenty of review sites compared it to Breaking Bad, not just posters here.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Yes

Oh...
    Plenty of review sites compared it to Breaking Bad, not just posters here.

But why? What's there to compare? I just don't get these comparisons, they are pointless. The casting is good or it's not, the script is good or it's not, saying it's not as good as another show is just stupid.

I liked how gritty Ozark was, but other parts of the show was poorly written. I think it deserves a 7 or thereabouts because it wasn't as good as Starwars.

• Advertisement

Because it's clearly trying to ripoff Breaking Bad. Netflix put money into it, because of the Breaking Bad similarities and there's obvious similarities between the two. The difference is Ozark sucks. People will watch anything with good production values and acceptable acting, especially if it's on Netflix, and think it's good. This is not good. There's no substance or style with Ozark, it's a boring imitation of previous worthwhile series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Because it's clearly trying to ripoff Breaking Bad. Netflix put money into it, because of the Breaking Bad similarities and there's obvious similarities between the two. The difference is Ozark sucks. People will watch anything with good production values and acceptable acting, especially if it's on Netflix, and think it's good. This is not good. There's no substance or style with Ozark, it's a boring imitation of previous worthwhile series.

Nonsense, the Breaking Bad comparison is weak at best. Ozark wasn't great but it was entertaining. Oh look another episode of Orphan Black ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Ok. I love the series and I work as an accountant but don't understand how they are laundering money in the tv show. Can someone explain it to me? From what I can see he is spending as much money as he can and over inflating purchase invoices. I would have thought he would be looking to over inflate income to clean some of the dirty money. Also I don't get how he transfers money. Would they not be able to trace thuis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Ok. I love the series and I work as an accountant but don't understand how they are laundering money in the tv show. Can someone explain it to me? From what I can see he is spending as much money as he can and over inflating purchase invoices. I would have thought he would be looking to over inflate income to clean some of the dirty money. Also I don't get how he transfers money. Would they not be able to trace thuis?

He spending money sure, but he's spending to justify the further increased fake spending...

he'd increase business so he can increase legitimate -and fake!- profit but also pretend to be spending more on refurbishments (which he's pocketing).

Dunno how he transfers the money out though!
    I presume it goes into a foreign account, suitcase, diamonds, bitcoin... fidget spinners.

Did I pass the test? (Episode 8 reference)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

It is literally being pitched as being similar to BB. The ads for it describe it as a combo of BB and Fargo. But barring some scenes in the first episode, that's where the comparisons end. It's terrible. As mentioned above, where's the money laundering? Buying a couple of businesses with $8m that was ridiculously left with you does not equal money laundering. And handing out heroin in Bibles to a few boats is just nonsense. How anyone can defend this tripe is beyond me.

• Advertisement

bajer101 wrote: »
    How anyone can defend this tripe is beyond me.

Because everybody has different tastes?

You can poke holes in any show, regardless of how awesome it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just binged it. It was decent TV.

Strong points:
    The direction was done really well. The scene setting and camera work were tops.
    The production quality, especially the wide angle scenic views were great!
    The soundtrack was well chosen. It was really tense and shored up the story.

Neutral:
    The acting was alright. Could've been better but it wasn't bad.

Weak point:
    The story and dialogue. The overall idea was there but getting from the start to the end could've been done better. It wasn't terrible though and like I said, the soundtrack shored it up. It guided the audience to feel what it wanted to be felt.

Overall: It takes an established idea in a direction I can't remember seeing before. Complex storyline that held my attention.
    Not sure how they can build a second season to be better but will probably give it a shot.

Final point:
    jeez f?*k! I didn't know how that baby scene at the end was gonna go. My nails are gonna take a month to regrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just watched the trailer for the first time

That gives away a lot of what the story slowly gives to audience. That was a bad trailer.

Link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAXVqrljbs

I can see a lot of the surprise being taken away by a lot of that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

fitz wrote: »
    It's nothing like Breaking Bad.
    Really enjoyed it, and writing it off before the halfway point is a mistake. It gets better as it goes, and had a terrific finale imo.

Actually it gets worse. The 2007 episode is breaking bad episode records. (See what i did there)

Terrible show. I finished episode 8 and refuse to watch the last 2 because I'd be ashamed to allow the possibility of redemption in the final act.

It would be like seeing the far distant future where earwigs evolve into an advanced species better than we ever were, as a justification for why nuclear Armageddon is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Just finished it yesterday, loved every episode.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Thanks OP, two episodes in and loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

Great finale

Loved the Trump association in last episode:
    Jacob Snell when Darlene (psycho wife) finished off Del:
    "There'll always be more Mexicans. Mexico has lots of mexicans@ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66,782 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thoroughly enjoyed it here.
    The only similarity to Breaking Bad is a general one. It has that very interesting hero/villain, like/dislike thing going on with the lead characters. Linney and Bateman are well up to the nuances of the characters. I love that kind of writing, you are constantly having to make decisions as a viewer. Intelligent writing imo.

When it unleashes it's plot strings over the final two episodes it is as good as anything I have seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 willwe

Just finished watching it, all of it. Thought it flagged a bit in the middle, how many more guys would have Marty as an enemy?; The recall episode felt as if they had to do something to make 10 episodes. Last episode was tense, the baby in the lake was scary. I wonder will there be a season 2? I would watch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just watched the first episode. Another entry in "well-made, bad TV", for me. An intriguing opening, followed by 50 minutes of blandness, in the form of a Breaking Bad knockoff. Including silly stuff like the main character talking to himself out loud, while walking on the street. Jason Bateman is decent, but this isn't great television. Thanks Netflix and Bateman for the content, but no thanks.

I watched the first two episodes last night. Compared to most of the utter crap on tv I thought this was very good watching.

God knows what it is your looking for!? A weekly edition of War & Peace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is how this works

Are drugs mentioned? Yes
    Does it involve Mexicans? Yes

Is it Breaking Bad?

lawred2 wrote: »
    I watched the first two episodes last night. Compared to most of the utter crap on tv I thought this was very good watching.

God knows what it is your looking for!? A weekly edition of War & Peace?
    I'm looking for something that's not a boring, unoriginal, piece of crap. If it was crap, but original, that would be something.
    lawred2 wrote:
    This is how this works

Are drugs mentioned? Yes
    Does it involve
    Mexicans? Yes

Is it Breaking Bad?
    Nah, Ozark was funded because it's a Breaking Bad knockoff. Plenty of people enjoy knockoffs, though, so whatever keeps those people and Netflix happy.

I'm looking for something that's not a boring, unoriginal, piece of crap. If it was crap, but original, that would be something.

Nah, Ozark was funded because it's a Breaking Bad knockoff. Plenty of people enjoy knockoffs, though, so whatever keeps those people and Netflix happy.

It's nothing like BB unless as stated BB has a patent on drugs and Mexicans.
    Good as BB was, some people need to get over it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Everybody loves scandal, drama and drugs.. it's the perfect series for the majority of people.

It's nothing like BB unless as stated BB has a patent on drugs and Mexicans.
    Good as BB was, some people need to get over it.
    "It's got a similarity to Breaking Bad."

-Jason Bateman.

"It's got a similarity to Breaking Bad."

-Jason Bateman.

Like half the things ever written have a similarity to Shakespeare.

In fact the dilemma the lead in Ozark has is Shakespearean.

He is just marketing or blurb. Not to be confused with critiquing

You bought it anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I like it, nothing amazing or groundbreaking but a good show. Not finished it yet but I hope it gets a second season.

Ruth is hot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was half watching as I wasn't fully pushed when it was put on in the house at first. Drawn in fully now, really enjoy it and nice to have another show to binge between shooter and got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

bajer101 wrote: »
    It is literally being pitched as being similar to BB. The ads for it describe it as a combo of BB and Fargo.

Whatever about it being pitched as being similar to Breaking Bad, where the hell are they getting the comparisons to Fargo from, either the film or the TV show?

• Advertisement

Whatever about it being pitched as being similar to Breaking Bad, where the hell are they getting the comparisons to Fargo from, either the film or the TV show?

The only way I seen it pitched was: 'Breaking Bad + something else + something else.

It has elements of all the shows mentioned, it is not remotely 'the same' as any particular one.

Advertisement