Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of rewiring a house

• 31-07-2017 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi everyone,
    Would anyone know (approximately) how much rewiring a house would cost? The current house is old, and all the switches and plug sockets look old, so, we need to have them all replaced. Just looking to get some approximate costs people may have had for rewiring.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

eamokeno wrote:
    Hi everyone, Would anyone know (approximately) how much rewiring a house would cost? The current house is old, and all the switches and plug sockets look old, so, we need to have them all replaced. Just looking to get some approximate costs people may have had for rewiring. Thanks.

How many rooms?
    Two story or bungalow?
    Is distribution board old style fuses or MCB'S?
    Is current wiring containment surface mounted or embedded and are you happy with the new wiring staying the same?
    Are there going be any requests for additional services to be added as part of the rewire?
    Are you happy with the distribution of services on each fused circuit or would you like them further subdivided?

They're just some of the questions which could influence price. It's like asking how much to replace a 2nd hand car, lots of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eamokeno

Hi TellMeHow,
    It would be 8-10 rooms in total, and I'm not sure about the board style to be honest. Again, with the current wiring, not sure on the containment surface, need to look into it.
    Wouldn't be looking for any additional services to be added as part of the rewiring.
    It's basically, an old house that we'll be moving into that has very old wiring currently (probably not touched since the house was built in the 50's/60's), so just need to update it etc.
    Would there be any sort of standard cost on a per room basis for rewiring a house?
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

You'd be doing well to get it done for 5 or 6 grand. That's first and second fix all in. Again I'm pulling figures out of the sky. You'd have to see the job and what it entails to give any sort of accurate price. Number of points / length of cable runs/ ease of rewire/ if walls need to be chased all need to be looked at to have any chance of giving an accurate price.

dbagman wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to get it done for 5 or 6 grand. That's first and second fix all in. Again I'm pulling figures out of the sky. You'd have to see the job and what it entails to give any sort of accurate price. Number of points / length of cable runs/ ease of rewire/ if walls need to be chased all need to be looked at to have any chance of giving an accurate price.
    Thanks DBAGMAN. I'll be getting somebody in to provide me with a quote on it. Was just looking to see approximately how much it would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

eamokeno wrote:
    It's basically, an old house that we'll be moving into that has very old wiring currently (probably not touched since the house was built in the 50's/60's)

I would strongly recommend that ye spend time in the house asking yourselves are you happy with the number of services.

Houses that age typically have one twin socket outlet per room with possibly two in sitting room and kitchen. That's nowhere near enough for today's demand. Extension leads and adaptors are ugly and unsafe for long-term use.

It's a lot more work to add outlets, particularly if there's chasing involved but it's the right thing to do if considering a rewire.

Also, is it currently wired for electric shower and oven. Should be added if not.

Finally, if doing all the above, consider a charge point for electric vehicle. They are the future.

Don't mean to be trying to get you to spend money but it's better consider the above upfront than 4 weeks after the work is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We got a quote recently for a rewire of a two storey, 4 bed old (very old) house. We have only one socket in the bedrooms currently, and that's all was quoted to replace. 3 lights in hall, bathroom, electric shower, immersion, three outside lights. There's 4 plugs in our sitting room, and probably 6 doubles in our kitchen. Playroom has 3 I think.

Obviously each room has a ceiling light too.
    The electrician quoted us somewhere around 8k, excluding plastering work. He also made it very clear that he and his colleagues were going to go through the house like bulldozers, pulling up every floor etc. By the time the house was put back together it would cost a lot more!

jlm29 wrote: »
    We got a quote recently for a rewire of a two storey, 4 bed old (very old) house. We have only one socket in the bedrooms currently, and that's all was quoted to replace. 3 lights in hall, bathroom, electric shower, immersion, three outside lights. There's 4 plugs in our sitting room, and probably 6 doubles in our kitchen. Playroom has 3 I think.

Obviously each room has a ceiling light too.
    The electrician quoted us somewhere around 8k, excluding plastering work. He also made it very clear that he and his colleagues were going to go through the house like bulldozers, pulling up every floor etc. By the time the house was put back together it would cost a lot more!

Hmmm, bit more than i thought it would cost. Thanks jlm29, good to know. We'll definitely shop around, get a few quotes for it. Thanks

eamokeno wrote: »
    Hmmm, bit more than i thought it would cost. Thanks jlm29, good to know. We'll definitely shop around, get a few quotes for it. Thanks

I think to be honest that the dude who gave us that quote really didn't want to do the job, and that price might have been an effort to discourage us! It worked, we didn't go with him! To be honest, getting quotes was very very difficult. It seems to be a job that no one wanted to do. The boom is back it seems!

eamokeno wrote:
    It's basically, an old house that we'll be moving into that has very old wiring currently (probably not touched since the house was built in the 50's/60's)

I would strongly recommend that ye spend time in the house asking yourselves are you happy with the number of services.

Houses that age typically have one twin socket outlet per room with possibly two in sitting room and kitchen. That's nowhere near enough for today's demand. Extension leads and adaptors are ugly and unsafe for long-term use.

It's a lot more work to add outlets, particularly if there's chasing involved but it's the right thing to do if considering a rewire.

Also, is it currently wired for electric shower and oven. Should be added if not.

Finally, if doing all the above, consider a charge point for electric vehicle. They are the future.

Don't mean to be trying to get you to spend money but it's better consider the above upfront than 4 weeks after the work is completed.
    Thanks TellMeHow. House is wired for an electric shower alright, just the sockets and light switches are all old and need to be updated. No idea about the chasing though, but I'll find out and get some quotes anyway. Thanks.

I think to be honest that the dude who gave us that quote really didn't want to do the job, and that price might have been an effort to discourage us! It worked, we didn't go with him!  To be honest, getting quotes was very very difficult. It seems to be a job that no one wanted to do. The boom is back it seems!
    The boom is definitely back. Thanks.

• Advertisement

eamokeno wrote:
    Thanks DBAGMAN. I'll be getting somebody in to provide me with a quote on it. Was just looking to see approximately how much it would cost.

Again as I said you'd be doing well to get it at that price. In other words I'd imagine that would be the cheapest with minimal sockets and basic pendant lighting. Sure let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

After ten years of recession, a tax compliant tradesman can now charge a reasonable rate for a days work, allowing for risk, holidays, tools, insurances etc etc

The prices here are not unreasonable

The price you pay a contractor, is not his/her 'take home pay'

If you have a boss and he pays your taxes. Double your take home pay - this will give you some idea of what it costs to run a small business.

BryanF wrote: »

After ten years of recession, a tax compliant tradesman can now charge a reasonable rate for a days work, allowing for risk, holidays, tools, insurances etc etc

The prices here are not unreasonable

The price you pay a contractor, is not his/her 'take home pay'

If you have a boss and he pays your taxes. Double your take home pay - this will give you some idea of what it costs to run a small business.

Thanks. I have previously worked in contracting and am aware that the money paid for a day's work for a contractor is not that individual's "take home pay." And yes, over the last 10 years there was a recession that the majority of people either took hefty pay cuts, or worse, lost their jobs due to redundancies, and having worked in an SMB for over 10 years, I have seen the extent of this first hand and understand the running costs involved.
    However, the cost of labor now compared to a few years ago has dramatically increased with some industries that people work in, not fully back up to the pay levels to which they were prior to the recession hitting them, resulting in less money to pay for an increasingly expensive piece of work to be completed. Add to that, the cost of houses also increasing almost month on month in Dublin, the amount of expendable money that families have is being squeezed even further.
    So with higher house prices, higher construction costs, higher cost of living, higher rent costs; in my opinion, I agree with jlm29, and agree that the boom is back.

Removed - duplicate post

Thanks. I have previously worked in contracting and am aware that the money paid for a day's work for a contractor is not that individual's "take home pay." And yes, over the last 10 years there was a recession that the majority of people either took hefty pay cuts, or worse, lost their jobs due to redundancies, and having worked in an SMB for over 10 years, I have seen the extent of this first hand and understand the running costs involved.
    However, the cost of labor now compared to a few years ago has dramatically increased with some industries that people work in, not fully back up to the pay levels to which they were prior to the recession hitting them, resulting in less money to pay for an increasingly expensive piece of work to be completed. Add to that, the cost of houses also increasing almost month on month in Dublin, the amount of expendable money that families have is being squeezed even further.
    So with higher house prices, higher construction costs, higher cost of living, higher rent costs; in my opinion, I agree with jlm29, and agree that the boom is back.

It's not the prices I have an issue with when I refer to the boom being back. It's the fact that I've had several electricians tell me they'd call to price the job and then not show up. I've had one call to price the job and never get back to us on price. And I've had one tell me (at 38 weeks pregnant), to move everything out of the upstairs of our house, and bring it out to the shed, because he would start the job in 2weeks, but never showed up and never answered the phone again.
    I've got no issue with paying a fair price to reflect someone's costs, overheads and wages, but I detest being messed around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ailo!

It's not the prices I have an issue with when I refer to the boom being back. It's the fact that I've had several electricians tell me they'd call to price the job and then not show up. I've had one call to price the job and never get back to us on price. And I've had one tell me (at 38 weeks pregnant), to move everything out of the upstairs of our house, and bring it out to the shed, because he would start the job in 2weeks, but never showed up and never answered the phone again.
    I've got no issue with paying a fair price to reflect someone's costs, overheads and wages, but I detest being messed around.

Hi Just wondering how you got on, we've just moved into a 1970's house and finding it hard to get quotes for rewire. People just not coming back to us

Would be interested to hear how you got on

Ailo! wrote: »
    Hi Just wondering how you got on, we've just moved into a 1970's house and finding it hard to get quotes for rewire. People just not coming back to us

Would be interested to hear how you got on

We are mid re-wire at the moment. A friend of a relative is doing it as a (very big) favour. He's (obviously) an electrician, but doesn't do domestic work normally. They've done upstairs, but have yet to come back and do downstairs. It's been surprisingly less messy than we expected.
    We actually don't know how much it's going to cost though- because he couldn't actually tell how long it was going to take or how much work was involved. At the end of the day, no one else would do it, and it had to be done, so whatever it costs it costs!

jlm29 wrote:
    We are mid re-wire at the moment. A friend of a relative is doing it as a (very big) favour. He's (obviously) an electrician, but doesn't do domestic work normally. They've done upstairs, but have yet to come back and do downstairs. It's been surprisingly less messy than we expected. We actually don't know how much it's going to cost though- because he couldn't actually tell how long it was going to take or how much work was involved. At the end of the day, no one else would do it, and it had to be done, so whatever it costs it costs!

I assume he can provide the cert for the job at the end of it? It's a must have now and insurance companies can ask for it as far as I know.

dbagman wrote: »
    I assume he can provide the cert for the job at the end of it? It's a must have now and insurance companies can ask for it as far as I know.

Of course! He's a proper qualified electrician, with a number of others working for him. He just doesn't normally do this kind of thing at all!

jlm29 wrote:
    Of course! He's a proper qualified electrician, with a number of others working for him. He just doesn't normally do this kind of thing at all!

Ah once he's working for himself that's fine. I'm a proper qualified electrician with years of house wiring experience but I couldn't certify that job for you as I work for a company. My company is registered, I'm not personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

How did yez get on?

Advertisement