Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A great buzz in the area today but I just think the cars driving around is an accident waiting to happen

Been plenty examples of that up in Dublin's o'connel street, seems health and safety has gone out the window these days in lieu of street aesthetic’s :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

A great buzz in the area today but I just think the cars driving around is an accident waiting to happen

Drove through there today for the first time as it was the first time I noticed it open and I agree. I always think having the footpath at the same level as the "road" is a bad idea, as pedestrians will just keep walking. It was also quite difficult to "see" what way the road goes. I think they might benefit from putting reflectors or something along those lines on the bollards because honestly, it was like a little obstacle course, and everyone was driving very slowly. I know there was a sign up, which had "opening" hours for the area but I didn't get a chance to read it. I presume no cars, except taxis, after 7pm/8pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

erica74 wrote: »
    I know there was a sign up, which had "opening" hours for the area but I didn't get a chance to read it. I presume no cars, except taxis, after 7pm/8pm?

Isn't the carpark 24/7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is which is a surprise in that sort of enclosed location - unless the Garda are in there pretty often I expect it'll end up full of drunks making fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

It is which is a surprise in that sort of enclosed location - unless the Garda are in there pretty often I expect it'll end up full of drunks making fires.

Ah yeah, there's a real car park fire epidemic around the city lately :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Place was buzzing Saturday night.
    One thing I noticed when there again Sunday day time was heerys outside area forces people out onto the road, especially if pushing a pram,I do think they need to step it in, especially during day time when you have lots of people pushing prams.maybe they just set it up wrong Sunday, hopefully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Max Powers wrote: »
    One thing I noticed when there again Sunday day time was heerys outside area forces people out onto the road, especially if pushing a pram,I do think they need to step it in, especially during day time when you have lots of people pushing prams.maybe they just set it up wrong Sunday, hopefully so.

Agree about the traffic, one place where it's especially dangerous is when you walk up that lane where Davy Mac's is and walk out at the Kasbah, no clear indication that the traffic is almost on top of you when you get to the top of the lane - as a lady and myself found out the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Based on this I would be concerned about prams, double buggies and wheelchair users.

Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Yeah he said 110 million,the place looks great to be fair

20139970_1996743790614761_3908436299673801961_n.jpg?oh=487cd7cdea9c196d3c4fba4cf0d5b106&oe=5A0E7C4D

20228863_1996743787281428_2456475026936083902_n.jpg?oh=b8dfc6383cd97eff3db22a78a136d4e7&oe=59F778CB

Ive heard a few people refer to it as "The Star Destroyer" :p

I like it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

tyd-door.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Yep they've definitely messed up the area with the traffic flow, it loses the appeal during the day because of it. Absolutely daft decision to run a road through it, surely there was a better way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Boooourns wrote: »
    Yep they've definitely messed up the area with the traffic flow, it loses the appeal during the day because of it. Absolutely daft decision to run a road through it, surely there was a better way of doing it.

They could have run the two way traffic down Newstreet down to Spring garden alley and the car park, it's not as it would be used that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Boooourns wrote: »
    They could have run the two way traffic down Newstreet down to Spring garden alley and the car park, it's not as it would be used that often.

The council should buy the old Bank of Ireland and demolish it to make a new road into Soribg Garden Alley, the the whole Apple Market could be pedestrianised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

invalid wrote: »
    The council should buy the old Bank of Ireland and demolish it to make a new road into Soribg Garden Alley, the the whole Apple Market could be pedestrianised

Don't you dare make any suggestions as to what the Waterford CC should

compulsory purchase because you'll offend either Max or Harry! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What happened to the apple market traders? Are they gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Finnbar01 wrote: »

I don't think they've been there for a few years now. Or if they have, then i didn't take a blind bit of notice of stuff that was there.

An essential part of the Waterford tradition thrown away without scant regard!

The council probably wanted them to pay exorbitant rates like those that do so

during Winterval. Wouldn't happen here on Moore Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Hardly essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Deiseen

They certainly sold the essentials alright, like toilet paper so coarse that it could strip rust off metal

Deiseen wrote: »
    They certainly sold the essentials alright, like toilet paper so coarse that it could strip rust off metal

Yeah, if these are the traders people are talking about then, it's no great loss really? They can surely just sell the toilet paper somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

I speak with complete knowledge of the subject and I can tell you that the fee for casual trading is €350 for the year. A Winterval Cabin in the heart of the festival is €1000 to €1250. The Applemarket traders were moved to Outside the book centre.

Please learn some facts before going on a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I speak with complete knowledge of the subject and I can tell you that the fee for casual trading is €350 for the year. A Winterval Cabin in the heart of the festival is €1000 to €1250. The Applemarket traders were moved to Outside the book centre.

What have I said that's so outlandish and untrue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

deise_boi wrote: »
    Hardly essential.

Exactly. Quiet fellas attempts to slag off Waterford and Waterford council(for which he clearly has a personal gripe) are increasingly desperate.time and time again the comments displaying a complete lack of knowledge of what's happening here, making absurd or completely ill thought out comments, not to mention consistent racist rubbish posted on different forums.

What rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Really?
    You claim complete knowledge of the subject?

Is this a wind-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

erica74 wrote: »
    What rant?

I think he meant to quote the post whinging on about Moore Street.

Exactly. Quiet fellas attempts to slag off Waterford and Waterford council(for which he clearly has a personal gripe) are increasingly desperate.time and time again the comments displaying a complete lack of knowledge of what's happening here, making absurd or completely ill thought out comments, not to mention consistent racist rubbish posted on different forums.

I'm a racist now! Are you following me Max?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The applemarket has been wiped out, the continued use of the name is an insult to all the traders that used over the past centuries,

More apt names could be,

Deise death star

The forecourt

Crazy mirrored triangle thing

How to squander 15 million

And so on...

Hoffmans wrote: »
    The applemarket has been wiped out, the continued use of the name is an insult to all the traders that used over the past centuries,

More apt names could be,

Deise death star

The forecourt

Crazy mirrored triangle thing

How to squander 15 million

And so on...

But it wasn't squandered H' It purchased a lot of brown envelopes for WCC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Looking at the pics on the previous page it does look like there is no option but to step into the road due to some of the outside areas premises have availed of?

Surely that will have to be altered a little, not being able to use the public footpath no matter how brief the stepping in to the road would have to be isn't really on, particularly when you get into the pram/buggy, wheelchair, young children etc side of things.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement