Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Arcade Fire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Latest from AF ..poor,very poor from an indie\alt point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

This new album isn't doing much for me. The first half is pretty bad. It's improving a bit as it goes on, some decent songs but nothing that I'd say that I love.

Actually I do like Put Your Money On Me. It seems to strangely veer into ABBA for a second or two a few times.

You know, it does actually get a lot better as it goes on. I wonder if the first half of the album is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭mosstin

OhHiMark wrote: »
    You know, it does actually get a lot better as it goes on. I wonder if the first half of the album is a joke.

Shur you might let us all know what you think after a week, maybe?

• Advertisement

Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭fluke

To anyone that's listened to it in full - Is this better than Reflektor, and at least in the same ballpark as Funeral, Neon Bible and The Suburbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I think first half is much better. Everything Now, Creature Comfort & Signs of Life are the best songs on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

fluke wrote: »
    To anyone that's listened to it in full - Is this better than Reflektor, and at least in the same ballpark as Funeral, Neon Bible and The Suburbs?

It's different to Reflektor but sounds more like that than the previous albums. There is some ****e on Reflektor but I actually like 6 or 7 songs on it.
    Don't know if I'd say this is better? Less filler for sure.

I'd say the 4 songs released in advance of the album are better than anything else on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Really like the new album. Its definitely different and without doubt you can hear the daft punk vibes on it. Really like put your money on me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I need to listen to it a few times but right now but of songs I'm only hearing now, I like "Put Your Money On Me" and "We Don't Deserve Love"

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I think first half is much better. Everything Now, Creature Comfort & Signs of Life are the best songs on the album.

They're grand but Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love are the best in my opinion. And Chemistry is by far the worst song they've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

They're grand but Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love are the best in my opinion. And Chemistry is by far the worst song they've ever done.

I think every album has had a skippable song or two, but for some, that seems to sour their assessment of the album as a whole..

I'm reserving judgement till I get home and crank up the big speakers, but initial reactions, I'd put it on a par with Reflektor, which to me was on a par with their other albums, contrary to what seems to be the prevailing view.

If you didn't like Reflektor, I can't see you loving this.
    Definite disco sheen from Bangalter, which James Murphy also provided in his inimitable way to Reflektor..

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I'm in the same boat but I think it's because I overplayed the singles. Creature comfort is a decent tune. Signs of Life was awesome live but not a fan of the recorded version

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I think every album has had a skippable song or two, but for some, that seems to sour their assessment of the album as a whole..

I'm reserving judgement till I get home and crank up the big speakers, but initial reactions, I'd put it on a par with Reflektor, which to me was on a par with their other albums, contrary to what seems to be the prevailing view.

If you didn't like Reflektor, I can't see you loving this.
    Definite disco sheen from Bangalter, which James Murphy also provided in his inimitable way to Reflektor..

Nah I agree. On a second listen I like it. Just the couple of dodgy songs towards the start gave me a bad impression on the first listen.

Nah I agree. On a second listen I like it. Just the couple of dodgy songs towards the start gave me a bad impression on the first listen.

Neon Bible took me months, if not longer, to rise towards the top of my favourite AF albums..

I'm glad they have albums for every mood and occasion.
    5 x Funeral would be boring, even though it's a glorious album..

Scores on metacritic usually a pretty good indicator of popular bands albums and it shows its their lowest scoring album to date .
    I had a listen to a couple tracks and infinite content was the only song I thought was interesting ,not for the lyrics but the music sounded a bit no cars go-ish .
    They have made a massive mistake with this album I think and whilst there are some good moments it totally ruined by the addition of tracks like peter pan.chemistry and many others that I found silly to be honest with somewhat childish lyrics ..they are not innovating they think but bringing already established beats and sounds to their music and it sounds standard not adding anything to the music .Good God dam is another dirge.I seen someone comment they should get butch vig to produce their next album and thats not a bad idea ,,having said all that still a great band live and these songs might work live but not on this record for me..
    Crtitics Score----User scores

69 Everything Now Jul 28, 2017 Primary Artist 5.6
    80 Reflektor Oct 29, 2013 Primary Artist 8.7
    87 The Suburbs Aug 3, 2010 Primary Artist 8.9
    87 Neon Bible Mar 6, 2007 Primary Artist 8.7
    90 Funeral Sep 14, 2004 Primary Artist 9.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I actually enjoyed my first two listens! Will give it a few weeks to see how it develops.

I certainly don't think it will age well in their canon.
    That's not to say I don't love it, same as I loved (and still do) , say Zooropa.

It seems to me an anti record company record, rushed to meet a target.
    There are great songs on it though.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I certainly don't think it will age well in their canon.
    That's not to say I don't love it, same as I loved (and still do) , say Zooropa.

It seems to me an anti record company record, rushed to meet a target.
    There are great songs on it though.

How many more albums do they have to release through Columbia?

• Advertisement

fluke wrote: »
    How many more albums do they have to release through Columbia?

I'm really not sure - I understand they've just signed a major label deal - not sure what that involves these days.
    Word was, U2 had to fulfill their 360 deal by doing the current tour, rather than finish the new album.
    It's a different musical landscape these days than I grew up with.
    The idea of my favourite artists using their music on ads was repulsive.
    These days, it's understood as a necessary evil.
    That's what the album satirises I think..

I've decided to listen to a couple of songs before purchasing...

Not half bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, definitely prefer it to Reflektor on a few listens.. though 2 things:

1. Chemistry is muck
    2. Less of these silly 1 minute instrumentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Indie Abba?

Having revisited Reflektor last night I think I may have been hard on it. The first disc is pretty consistent (and makes for a pretty good headphones listen) except for You Already Know.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Synergism

What sucks about Arcade Fire?

Everything Now

Was gonna get a pair of tickets to one of the London shows but £70 a ticket is a lot to be asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

I had not realised Reflektor was so poorly received by fans, I would have said it is far, far superior to Everything Now and probably on par with the Suburbs, definitely with Neon Bible.

Reflektor is a bit overblown and pompous (and overly long), but overall I think it brought them in some interesting directions and is musically superb. Some of the tracks could have been cut, but I don't think there has ever been an Arcade Fire album that couldn't have trimmed a bit of fat (Crown of Love anyone?).

The new album goes a bit overboard with this pomposity, maybe it will be a grower but I'm not sure if I'll ever get into it in the same way as their previous albums.

Funeral isn't even the best album of that decade,I would give that accolade to wolf parades Apologies to the Queen Mary.

• Advertisement

Advertisement