Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushypark or Scoil Bhride?

• 27-07-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello everyone, I am new here and need your help. I've searched the threads but only found out about Bushypark school, and I need some more info about scoil Bhride.
    The thing is, we have just moved from east side to the west. As we live at Letteragh rd. both schools have the same distance from our home. Bushypark down with Letteragh and up to Circular Rd., and Bhride down with Letteragh and left to Rahoon and Shantalla Rd.
    But, what school would you prefer? Both school accepted us (2.nd Class and preschool) and now we need to decide. We live in Galway only a year and don't know anything local about schools. Our pro to Bhride is that school lunch is provided by school, and that's quite it. :)
    I read that Bushypark is a very good school and good follow up for secondary. We have 2 girls so I search a little bit a secondary school as well.
    Thank you all in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

my nieces went to Bushpark and loved it.... i know nothing about Scoil Bride.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 flyingvisit

bushypark 100%

Why does scoil bhride offer a free lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

bushypark 100%

Why does scoil bhride offer a free lunch?

It's DEIS school

http://www.education.ie/en/find-a-school/School-Detail/?roll=17782E

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think that was a rhetorical question.

OP, Scoil Bride would tend to be more working class. Bushypark would tend to have more kids from families where one or other parent is a professional. It's a tendancy, not an absolute, there are exception in either direction. Yeah, I know, Ireland's a republic and we don't have a class system. Sure we don't.

OP, are there any kids in your neighbourhood / estate? Find out where they go. Likely to be easier for your kids to follow suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tiaco

I think that was a rhetorical question.

OP, Scoil Bride would tend to be more working class. Bushypark would tend to have more kids from families where one or other parent is a professional. It's a tendancy, not an absolute, there are exception in either direction. Yeah, I know, Ireland's a republic and we don't have a class system. Sure we don't.

OP, are there any kids in your neighbourhood / estate? Find out where they go. Likely to be easier for your kids to follow suite.

We don't know anybody near us. Our first neighbours don't have children. We've just moved here on 1.st.July. But our friend's daughter goes to Bushy, they live in Dangan and Principal confirm me that my daughter can go in her Class. So that is a big pro for Bushy.
    Thank you all for your help. I think we'll go with Bushypark. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

A number of people who live in Bushypark go to Scoil iognaid (the jes). It gives a higher chance of getting into the jes secondary (colaiste iognaid) and is a very good primary school. It's a little further away but if you are driving anyway it's only a few extra mins in the car.

A number of people who live in Bushypark go to Scoil iognaid (the jes). It gives a higher chance of getting into the jes secondary (colaiste iognaid) and is a very good primary school. It's a little further away but if you are driving anyway it's only a few extra mins in the car.

I don't drive at the moment because my Hubby take the car to work. But he will driving them mornings and I would be collecting her after school. It's 30 min walking distance. Perhaps I'll buy bike so I can cycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Don't know much about Scoil Bhride but they sure made a damn good job of this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Yeah, I saw it. They've won 1.st prize for it in some RTE competition. It was filmed via drone. They've got very good video making section.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It really depends on your child's needs. Scoil Bhride definitely has a more diverse student population from across the social strata and encompasses more diverse needs than a lot of schools but it's very, very well equipped to do that. It's an excellent school overall but particularly if your child has any particular needs, they provide great learning support and put great emphasis on the development of the whole child and making sure everyone's happy and included. They have really good teachers and lots of experience of different kinds of kids. I know a lot of people working in primary and second level education and it's one place I hear praised an awful lot for what they do.
    There's definitely some negative feeling towards the school in this thread but it isn't deserved. The kids can be from harsher or less encouraging of being academic sort of backgrounds but the school really does a lot for them.
    I'm sure Bushy Park is good too, I don't know anything about them. If your child has a friend there though that's a very nice thing to have starting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's definitely some negative feeling towards the school in this thread but it isn't deserved.

I just re-read the thread, and don't see any negative feedback.

It's a DEIS school and therefore has a lunch programme. That is not negative feedback, it's a fact.

Statements about the type of families who tend to send their kids to the school aren't feedback about the school at all. They're statements about the neighbourhoods the schools are in, and who kids who go to school there are likely to meet.

A couple of people have said they know kids who were happy at Bushypark.

I just re-read the thread, and don't see any negative feedback.

It's a DEIS school and therefore has a lunch programme. That is not negative feedback, it's a fact.

Statements about the type of families who tend to send their kids to the school aren't feedback about the school at all. They're statements about the neighbourhoods the schools are in, and who kids who go to school there are likely to meet.

A couple of people have said they know kids who were happy at Bushypark.

Fair enough, your opinion. I'm just giving mine.
    As it happens I said feeling meaning some inference, not feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It really depends on your child's needs. Scoil Bhride definitely has a more diverse student population from across the social strata and encompasses more diverse needs than a lot of schools but it's very, very well equipped to do that. It's an excellent school overall but particularly if your child has any particular needs, they provide great learning support and put great emphasis on the development of the whole child and making sure everyone's happy and included. They have really good teachers and lots of experience of different kinds of kids. I know a lot of people working in primary and second level education and it's one place I hear praised an awful lot for what they do.
    There's definitely some negative feeling towards the school in this thread but it isn't deserved. The kids can be from harsher or less encouraging of being academic sort of backgrounds but the school really does a lot for them.
    I'm sure Bushy Park is good too, I don't know anything about them. If your child has a friend there though that's a very nice thing to have starting out.

Our neighbours kids go there and really like it. It does seem more diverse, which I think is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My daughter goes to Scoil Bhride and absolutely loves it, she's going into 2nd class so if you do decide to send your child/ren there, they'll be class mates :) Mary and Bernie who run the pre school are fantastic, so your youngest will definitely enjoy their class. Yes they do offer free lunches, but you don't have to accept, they have a book rental scheme too. They also do swimming during the spring/summer term as part of their PE classes, they have a summer camp from 1st class up. It only cost €5 for the week (bargain) and they were brought horse riding, went to aquarium and Loughwell farm.
    What ever school you choose i'm sure it'll be the correct decision.

My daughter goes to Scoil Bhride and absolutely loves it, she's going into 2nd class so if you do decide to send your child/ren there, they'll be class mates :) Mary and Bernie who run the pre school are fantastic, so your youngest will definitely enjoy their class. Yes they do offer free lunches, but you don't have to accept, they have a book rental scheme too. They also do swimming during the spring/summer term as part of their PE classes, they have a summer camp from 1st class up. It only cost €5 for the week (bargain) and they were brought horse riding, went to aquarium and Loughwell farm.
    What ever school you choose i'm sure it'll be the correct decision.

Oh Gosh, my dilema returns! :)
    It seems that both schools are good...thank you all for your feedback...at the end, it's all up to us to decide. My Girl would like to have a piano lessons in Bushypark and be with her fried in Class, but she loved cooking class in Bhride aswell :) We've went to their open days a few months ago. This is really tough. :(

I live quite close to scoil bhride. When I'm walking to work in the morning the parking behaviour and attitude from many of the parents dropping off kids is disgraceful, many of them still in their pyjamas blocking roads roaring at all their kids to get out with complete disregard for other people and their commute. Rather uncivilised behaviour I've seen them get aggressive with other road users that beep horn at them. Not the type people I'd like my family to be mixing with

I live quite close to scoil bhride. When I'm walking to work in the morning the parking behaviour and attitude from many of the parents dropping off kids is disgraceful, many of them still in their pyjamas blocking roads roaring at all their kids to get out with complete disregard for other people and their commute. Rather uncivilised behaviour I've seen them get aggressive with other road users that beep horn at them. Not the type people I'd like my family to be mixing with

Do you pass any other primary schools at a similar time? What you describe would not be untypical. Infact parents blocking roads in the morning is pretty much something that happens at every school, primary and secondary. I regularly have passed in the afternoon when the kids get out and it's very civilised and they always look very happy kids, running, jumping, excited, happy. Just the kind of children you'd be very happy to see your children playing with.

Do you pass any other primary schools at a similar time? What you describe would not be untypical. Infact parents blocking roads in the morning is pretty much something that happens at every school, primary and secondary. I regularly have passed in the afternoon when the kids get out and it's very civilised and they always look very happy kids, running, jumping, excited, happy. Just the kind of children you'd be very happy to see your children playing with.

Indeed I've passed most city centre schools at drop off time over the years. I agree with you blocking roads is somewhat of a problem at most schools and is typical, however the uncivilised parents with bad attitude, level of ignorance, aggresion, pyjamas and downright bad manners is unparalleled with scoil bhride. I'm sure the kids are very happy and civilised, if that's what their used to all their lives they really wouldn't know any other way.

All schools everywhere have Pros and Cons. Wrapping your kids in cotton wool does not do them any favours long term either. It’s all about providing the best balance for the children, not fulfilling the social egos of the parents.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My daughter attends Bushypark - it is a fantastic school.

If you want to ask any specific questions pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That's not a good sign at all. You need kids to be with peers who share a good healthy environment and who respect those around them. I wonder does Bushy Park suffer the same malaise.

PLL wrote: »
    My daughter attends Bushypark - it is a fantastic school.

If you want to ask any specific questions pm me.

Thank you! We enrolled her in Bushypark and she as well as we love it!!!

Tiaco wrote: »

Hope everything works out well for you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Tiaco wrote: »

Glad to hear you're all happy with the decision!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Closed by OP request

Highly off-topic soap box posts removed, hope too much time wasn't invested in them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement