Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club profiles

• 27-07-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭

Mentioned elsewhere that it'd be interesting if everyone did a preview of the team they supported from a FPL point of view. Try not to be biased, give advice that you're going to follow yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Predicted 1st choice Lineup:
    Hart (4.5)
    Zabaleta (5.0) Reid (5.0) Ogbonna (4.5) Creswell (5.0)
    Kouyate (5.0) Noble (5.5)
    Antonio (7.5) Lanzini (7.0) Arnoutovic (7.0)
    Chicarito (7.0)

Players likely to start every game:
    Hart is definitely number 1
    At the back, Reid will always start
    Antonio (when fit) starts every game

Rotation Risks
    I reckon Cresswell will get dropped this season. He was poor last year and Matsuaka (4.5) showed potential.
    Ogbonna seems ahead of Fonte who struggled last year, but may change. Collins should be past it (I’ve said this the past 3 years tho)
    Don’t know how much Zabaleta has left in the tank. He’ll start but will need to be rested I’d imagine.
    Noble will be rested more this season. Obiang (4.5) will get more and more gametime
    Up front we’ve too many to keep everyone happy. Pick 4 from Antonio, Lanzini, Arnoutiovic, Ayew, Carrroll and Chicarito. Knowing our injury history we’ll be lucky to have 4 fit anyway

Who’s on pens
    Noble took them last season, Lanzini when he didn’t play

Players for the watchlist
    Joe Hart may thrive in a team that will likely give up a lot of shots.
    Can’t recommend any of the defenders.
    Antonio has been great last few years when played in midfield.
    As mentioned the rest of the front players will rotate. Hopefully Chicarito becomes a star at 7.0
    Hoping this is the year that Lanzini finally becomes the new Payet

FPL players to avoid
    Creswell – can’t help but worry that he’ll struggle this season.
    Snodgrass – most of his 133 points from last season were with Hull. Way down the pecking order at West Ham

Fixtures/outlook etc
    Olympic Stadium out of action in August so start with 3 away games. By about week 6 we’ll be past the worst and have an idea of the lineup. Hold off on West Ham players till then.

Injuries
    Reid, Antonio, Kouyate, Carroll will all start the season injured

Who's in your FPL team on GW1
    Nobody - 3 aways to start, injuries to the one who might be in (Antonio) and can't predict who'll be the starting forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'll do one for Burnley closer to the time. I could also do Liverpool but I'm sure we will have enough takers for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Might have been me who mentioned that - thanks a lot, some great info there!

Why do you reckon Cresswell will struggle? He had a bad injury didn't he? Was looking at him for draft thinking if West Ham tightened up at all he would with his attacking threat he'd be a decent pick?

I read that Winston Reid is back in training - if fit would he be ahead of Ogbonna?

Might have been me who mentioned that - thanks a lot, some great info there!

Why do you reckon Cresswell will struggle? He had a bad injury didn't he? Was looking at him for draft thinking if West Ham tightened up at all he would with his attacking threat he'd be a decent pick?

I read that Winston Reid is back in training - if fit would he be ahead of Ogbonna?
    Creswell was very poor last season, at fault for loads of goals. Matsuyaka will be close to pushing him out I reckon.

Reid/Ogbonna is first choice CB pairing IMO. Fonte was a bit of a disappointment last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Great thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland :(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

Villa fan here:
    GK: Terry
    Def: Terry Terry Terry Terry
    Mid: Terry Terry Terry Terry
    Fwd: Terry Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

Villa fan here:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Predicted first choice line up
    Dyche nearly always plays 442 some of the early tough away games he might try a 451 but probably not.
    Heaton 5.0
    Lowton 4.5 Mee 4.5 Tarkowski 4.5 taylor 4.5
    Arfield 5.0 Cork 4.5 Hendrick 5.5 Brady 5.5
    Walters 5.5 Barnes 5.5
    Players likely to start every game
    Heaton, Mee, Cork and Walters
    Rotation Risks
    All the midfield apart from Cork. Dyche needs his widemen to put in an unbelievable amount of work and be really fit. This is why brady despite having better quality than the rest of the wingers struggled to be a regular despite being the record signing. I think Walters will start when fit the other spot could be any of barnes, vokes or gray. Gray looked to be on the way out and only has 1 yr on his contract but his big wage demands seem to have put off teams so if he ends up staying it could end up being walters and gray up top. Full back positions are also up in the air as is the player that will partner Mee. I think they will sign another CB but if they don't I think tarkowski has the edge over Long however Tarkowski has a minor injury at the minute.
    Who is on Pens
    Vokes, Barnes and Gray all took 2 pens each last year and even in their promotion season vokes and gray shared pen duty. I think you can put walters in the mix aswell. Gray scored a pen the other day but he was the only of those 4 on the pitch at the time.
    FPL players to avoid
    I think prior to the season starting it will be fairly clear the team dyche will start out with and he is a fairly predictable manager that doesn't rotate much. Id probably steer clear of all 3 strikers barnes, vokes, gray and also Brady until he proves he has the workrate to play in a dyche team
    Fixtures/ outlook
    Traditionally very strong at home not just last year. Its a ground/atmosphere a bit different than your traditional PL set up and a place teams don't like going to. I personally think with the players in the squad they did a remarkable job staying up last year and it will probably be a bigger struggle this year. Good for Rotating defenders to play at Home and for the first 6 games they have 3 nice home fixtures WBA, PAL, HUD and 3 awful away fixtures CHE, SPU, LIV
    Injuries
    Tarkowski currently has a minor injury and Marney a cheap 4.5 mid is recovering from a cruciate. Arfield has been off playing international football with Canada so may be a bit behind the others
    Who is in your FPL team
    Their is a chance I will have Mee as a rotating defender, Walters is a possibility although not sure because of away fixtures, I may also have Cork as my cheap mid.
    Ill update the expected team a couple of days before the kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

mectavba wrote: »
    Villa fan here:
    Who will your vice captain be ?

• Advertisement

Just on Cresswell, West Ham played Werder Bremen is some weird 2 leg, 2 day pre-season friendly. They played a reserve team tonight, which included Cresswell. I'd expect the first XI to play the return leg tomorrow. Tonights team was...
    Adrian
    Byram, Burke, Collins, Cresswell
    Rice Noble Cullen
    Holland Makasi Martinez

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just on Cresswell, West Ham played Werder Bremen is some weird 2 leg, 2 day pre-season friendly. They played a reserve team tonight, which included Cresswell. I'd expect the first XI to play the return leg tomorrow. Tonights team was...
    Adrian
    Byram, Burke, Collins, Cresswell
    Rice Noble Cullen
    Holland Makasi Martinez

Noble ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Note: The difficulty of the CL playoff draw and first leg result will impact rotation.

Mignolet (5.0)
    Clyne (5.5) Matip (5.5) Lovren* (5.5) Milner (6.5)
    Wijnaldum (7.0) Henderson (5.5) Coutinho (9.0)
    Mane (9.5) Firmino (8.5) Salah (9.0)

* If VVD (or another quality CB) is signed, Lovren will be the one to drop out.

Mignolet – Klopp says the keeper position is an open competition, but Migs will win it.
    At the back, Matip and Milner (and new CB) will start – at least for the first 10 games or so. Robertson my challenge Milners place after that.
    Coutinho and Firmino are the attacking players most likely to start games. Mane can be added to this in time, but he is still coming back from injury. Salah too, unless he morphs into Memphis Depay!

Rotation Risks
    Clyne will be under pressure from TAA (Trent Alexander-Arnold) (4.5) this season. His attacking output is poor and TAA is nearly ready for the step up.
    Lovren will drop to the bench once a CB is signed. Klaven and Gomez will be for emergencies only.
    The entire attacking 6 could be rotated with Lallana (in particular), Can and Sturridge viable options to start. I’d put Henderson and Wijnaldum as the most likely to be rotated, but everyone will sit out games.
    Firmino, who is vital to Klopps style of play, and Coutinho are the safest bets.

Who’s on pens
    Milner is the clear No 1 taker, followed by Henderson. After that, its unclear who would be next up.

TAA – Clyne is carrying an injury so isn’t a cert to start the season. If he doesn’t TAA will probably replace him. Klopp said today that he is offensively ready, but not defensively. Once he improves that side of his game I think he replaces Clyne full time.
    Salah – looked great in pre-season. Will be in a lot of teams, but I’ll hold off to see how he does. If he hits the ground running, buy…quickly!
    Coutinho – a lot will be put off if they see him play deeper, but he is an assist machine from centre mid. He is more dangerous than when he is wide.
    IF we sign him, Van Dijk. At 5.5 he would tighten up the defence, offer an aerial threat, and has a pass that cold release the speedsters Mane and Salah.

FPL players to avoid
    Clyne – very limited attacking threat and will face genuine competition for his place.
    Lovren – mixes mistakes and random injuries in equal measure. Will be dropped as soon as a new CB is bought.
    Sturridge – yes he will score (nearly) every time he starts, but no one knows when that will be. Don’t do it to yourselves!
    Wijnaldum – he hasn’t scored away in 2 seasons and could be rotated with the more attack minded Lallana for ‘easier’ games.

Fixtures/outlook etc
    The first 10 are a mixed bag with games against Arsenal, Spurs and the two Manchester teams. Liverpool did have a great record against them last year so there is grounds for optimism – the game that worries me most is GW2. We have lost at home to Palace 3 seasons in a row! We will score goals so attacking ‘cover’ is probably needed, the question is..who to pick??

Injuries
    Clyne is a doubt to start the season. Milner is expected back next week, but worth monitoring. Origi missed out today with a tight hamstring.

Probably Coutinho. Most guaranteed a start, very dangerous if he starts in centre mid, on frees and corners.
    Possibly Milner if I go 4 at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Begovic(4.5)
    Smith(5.0) Cook (5.0) Ake (5.0) Daniels (5.0)
    Stanislas (6.0) Arter (5.0) Surman (4.5) Fraser (5.5)
    King (7.5)
    Defoe (8.0)

Begovic, Cook, Ake, Daniels, Arter, King, Defoe

Rotation Risks
    Francis could take some gametime off Smith.
    It's 2 from 3 from the wingers with Pugh competing with Stanislas and Fraser. I can't see any of those 3 playing every game.

Who’s on pens
    Would be very surprised if Defoe doesn't take over them.

Daniels is the pick of the defenders, very attacking and on some set pieces.
    Begovic could work in a rotation but I wouldn't want to play him every week.
    King and Defoe are both decent options as 3rd strikers, I'd favour Defoe due to playing further forward and pens.
    Hard to know how that partnership will work given they've only played 30 mins together so far. Could be golden though.

FPL players to avoid
    Smith isn't worth the rotation risk when Daniels is the same price. Stanislas is overpriced imo.

Fixtures/outlook etc
    First two fixtures are good, but then they get tricky until GW10.
    GW11 is the time to stock up on Cherries.

Injuries
    Stanislas will most likely miss the start of the season with a groin problem. This could mean Pugh starts but we may see Smith in midfield with Francis at right back.
    Wilson has a long term injury and we're unlikely to see him before the new year.

None at the moment, and Daniels is the only one I'm considering. I feel there's better value in players from other teams right now due to the fixtures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

Predicted 1st choice line-up:
    Forster (£5m)
    Cedric (£5m) Stephens (£5m) Yoshida (£5m) Bertrand (£5.5m)
    Davis (c) (£5m) Oriel Romeu (£4.5m)
    Ward-Prowse (£5.5m) Tadic (£6.5m) Redmond (£6.5m)
    Austin (£6.5m)

Forster is definitely Number 1
    At the back, Bertrand and Cedric should always start, same with VVD if he's fit and stays at the club
    In midfield, Oriel-Romeu and captain Davis start every game, but don't expect much return. Redmond and Tadic should both be first choice players although it will be interesting to see how Pellegrino shakes things up. Boufal – the clubs most expensive signing in history – started a lot of games towards the end of last season but was almost always subbed off in the second half. He has struggled in the Premier League, finding it too physical, so we’ll see how the new manager sees him fitting in
    Austin should be first choice ahead of Long and Gabbiadini when fit. The remaining two friendlies will give a better idea, we could see Long or BUIB II playing alongside Austin, or shifting to the wings

Rotation Risks
    The back four for the opening Gameweek is still not confirmed, with Virgil Van Dijk injured and potentially leaving the club, and Cedric possibly being given a rest after the Confederations Cup. Pied could be a cheap option for the first few weeks, although I’m currently holding faith with Cedric. The last two pre-season home friendlies versus FC Augsburg and Sevilla FC should give a better indication of who is likely to start GW1.
    In midfield, Ward-Prowse and Boufal will see plenty of rotation, along with Clasie and Hojbjerg. None worthy of a punt tbh.

Who’s on pens
    Austin should be on penalties when fit, Tadic in his absence, although Gabbiadini did take (and miss) a penalty vs United in May with Tadic on the pitch.

With Southampton having the best starting fixtures of any club, and the fourth best clean sheet count in the division last year, many will be looking at one (if not two) defensive players to start the season. New manager Pellegrino generally favours a 4-3-2-1 formation, sometimes even switching to 5-4-1, so there is solid clean sheet potential with this defensive approach. Tadic is a gamble but may end up in a few teams. Great fixtures and the potential to explode. Up front, with 18 goals in 2015/15, Austin is the player most are looking at. He’s already notched a brace in pre-season against Brentford, and was unlucky not to get a hat-trick. Only 2.5% ownership, although this will shoot up if his pre-season form continues.

FPL players to avoid
    GABBIADINI
    GABBIADINI
    GABBIADINI

Fixtures/outlook etc
    Best start of any team in the league (SWA, WHM, hud, WAT, cpl, MUN, sto, NEW, WBA, brt, BUR)

Injuries
    Virgil Van Dijk is the main doubt, although Cedric could miss the first game as the manager looks to rest him after the Confederations Cup.

In my GW1 Team
    2 of Forster/Bertrand/Cedric/Yoshida
    Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Predicted 1st choice line-up:
    De Gea(5.5)
    Valencia(6.5) Bailly(6) Lindelof(5.5) Darmian(5.5)
    Herrera(5.5) Matic(5) Pogba(8)
    Mkhitaryan(8) Lukaku(11.5) Rashford(7.5)

De Gea will start 99% of games, with Romero likely being left for the cup games.
    Bailly is nailed on as Utds best defender.
    Pogba and Lukaku are nailed on starters.
    Herrera and Matic will also start most games, but irrelevant from a FPL point of view.

Rotation Risks
    I believe Lindelof will be eased into the team, but with Bailly and Jones(5) suspended for two European games we will probably see a Bailly-Jones partnership to start the season. One to keep an eye on.

Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard, Martial, Rashford and new kid Andreas Pereira will likely be competing for two spots. Jose is likely to rotate them from game to game.

Left back should be Darmian's for a month until Luke Shaw returns, but Blind may complicate matters.

Who’s on pens
    With Zlatan leaving, your guess is as good as mine really, United haven't been awarded a penalty yet this pre-season (I'm not including that abomination of a penalty shootout vs Real Madrid).

I would imagine Pogba will step up, although it could also be Lukaku or Herrera.

Lindelof will soon be a starter I believe, but will spend the first month or so being eased in. At 5.5m could be good for the first wildcard. Otherwise Jones @ 5m is tremendous value.

Mkhitaryan has been on fire in pre-season, if he keeps that going into the regular season I'll be having a good look at him. Especially if he is played in behind Lukaku.

Not relevant yet, but if Jose does eventually get his man in Ivan Peresic, get on that as quick as possible. The man is a classic winger and will sweep up BPS and assists with the number of crosses he puts in.

FPL players to avoid
    Rashford/Martial. Both will take games off each other, and the price is too high for someone not guaranteed to play.

Valencia. At 6.5 his attacking output is simply not good enough to warrant that price. In addition, rumours circulating that Jose is planning on bringing in Aurier from PSG as competition/a replacement.

Fixtures/outlook etc
    Excellent fixtures to start, I imagine every team will have at least 1 United player as they don't play a big team for fecking ages.

WEST HAM, swansea, LEICESTER, stoke, EVERTON, southampton, CRYSTAL PALACE, liverpool, HUDDERSFIELD

Injuries
    Luke Shaw out till September.
    Marcus Rojo out until the new year.

In my GW1 Team
    Lukaku for definite.
    Watching the centre back situation closely, but probably not for GW1.
    Pogba will most likely be in my team also, should play further forward after Matic arriving, may also be on free kicks and penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Excellent thread.

May I contribute to it with some insights on the arrivals from Ligue 1. Not that many this year but some big ones. I'll list them from their clubs alphabetic order.

Lacazette (Ars, F, £10.5m) from Lyon
    He's a very good player and a talented striker. 91 league goals in his last 4 seasons with Lyon (for something like 15 assists). He's been constantly progressing on and off the pitch in these last 4 seasons.
    But. Very very limited European experience. He never played CL (and won't this year :p). Almost no international experience too. Also, he was Lyon main forward focus for all these years. Didn't have any competition to challenge him.
    So his capacity to adapt to a better league, a tougher competition (in his own team and in the league) and higher expectations (to start with, just the big enough price his transaction costed to Arsenal) are unknown.

At £10.5m I find him a little overpriced.

We also don't know yet how Wenger will play him. He started the CS. Will he be paired with Giroud?

I won't have him in my GW1 team. But I'll monitor him.

T. Bakayoko (Chelsea, M, £5.0m) from Monaco
    He had a great season with Monaco but he shined thanks to his partner Fabinho. He's a defensive midfielder so forget about him for FPL.

B. Mathis (Everton, F, unlisted, plays with U23 team) from Metz
    Anyone for a U23 FPL :p?

S. Mounie (Huddersfiled, F, £6.0m) from Montpellier
    "Our" little spanker :D. Nah more seriously, he's a young decent striker. 14 league goals with Montpellier last year and we had a sh*te season! The year before we loaned him to our neighbour Nimes (Ligue 2) and he contributed to a little less than 20 of their goals (11 g & 6 a) which was one of the main reason they saved their position in Ligue 2.

At £6.0m (he's £0.5m overpriced), he could be a decent 3rd striker if he becomes a regular starter and performs like Austin or Deeney (but he could also be Ga... Ga... Gab...baba...didi... Dini :( :pac:).

I won't have him in my GW1 team but will follow hs progress to assess whether he could be a decent 3rd striker option or not.

B. Mendy (Man City, D, £6.5m) from Monaco
    He had a great and unexpected season with Monaco last year. When Bielsa praised him back in Marseille 3 years ago everyone thought Marcelo lost his mind. Well we shall not doubt the maestro. He continued his tremendous (and unexpected) progression up to Les Bleus. His stats aren't that great (only 5 league assists last year) but in a back to classic Guardiola Man City team this season, if he's the regular left wing he could explode to the eyes of the PL.

But, at £6.5m, with no PL and very little European & international experience, he's clearly overpriced (WTF with Ligue 1 players ?! Are we becoming the new eldorado !?! :D :pac:). At this price I'd rather have Walker for example.

I won't have him in my GW1 team but will monitor how Guardiola uses him.

Bernardo Silva (Man City, M, £8.0m) from Monaco
    Monaco playmaker last season. He's still young (22) so should progress under Guardiola. At Monaco he was a 8 league goals a season mid to which he added 9 assists last year. If he reproduces that this year, he'll be in David Silva stats range. I shall mention though that he struggled (physically? mentally? Monaco were not initially prepared for such a season) to finish the season and he was pretty anonymous during the Confederation Cup with Portugal.

Now. City midfield is such a minefield, I won't consider him until we have a better view of how Guardiola is shaping his team up.

At £8.0m he's priced same than D. Silva & Sterling and Sane's just £0.5m dearer. So I won't have him in my GW1 team, he's a wait and see for me...

H. Saivet (New, M, unlisted) return from loan at Saint Etienne
    Well I don't even know why I mention him. Technically he belongs to Newcastle though :p. But he wouldn't be good enough to be considered, bar as a £4.5m 5th mid bench fodder if he was to be priced that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

iroced wrote: »
    Excellent thread.

May I contribute to it with some insights on the arrivals from Ligue 1. Not that many this year but some big ones. I'll list them from their clubs alphabetic order.

TL;DR: Don't get any of these players :pac:

Excellent analysis though, I have my eye on Mounie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

ScummyMan wrote: »
    TL;DR: Don't get any of these players :pac:

Excellent analysis though, I have my eye on Mounie.

And Mounie Mounie Mounie just fits the 20 character limit exactly for a team name

Advertisement