Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish language in Galway

• 26-07-2017 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

One of my personal goals at the moment is to re learn Irish, as I was your classic Irish student who came out with **** all knowledge of the language after 14 years studying it in school. I have pretty good German and Spanish from travelling and living around different places over the years, which is something I didn't think I was capable of achieving when I was younger.

I'm trying to get an understanding of how much Irish is actually spoken in Galway as I may be moving there for work and I'm wondering just how much Irish is actually in use around the city in particular. Is it a myth that the rest of the country tells themselves to make us all feel better about it not being dead yet? Or is it actually dead in Galway?

For example, would I ever encounter someone in public who I could speak with whether in a shop or otherwise?

People who have grown up in Galway: Are ye actually fluent speakers and just use English anyway or what?

I know now, from experience, that it's possible to learn any language you want, provided that you have regular opportunities to speak it, from day one, in normal, every day scenarios. If that scenario does not exist and you have to pay to construct a scenario in which you're talking, you haven't a hope and you're wasting your time ever thinking you will some day be fluent.

Comments

Advertisement