Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trickle down effect in low-tax industries

• 26-07-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

<snip> [There is] an issue about the benefits of tax exemptions for particular industries in the economy as a whole.

Large parts of the thoroughbred industry are hugely supported by tax exemptions; in some sectors of the horse-breeding industry I believe they may be completely tax free.

I accept that horse training itself <snip> may not be so blessed but nevertheless, the thoroughbred industry is greatly supported by the tax payer; shouldn't that mean that some of the riches should trickle down throughout the industry so that at least those working at all levels benefit from it?

I'm not an avid race goer but I believe that some of the facilities in this country are pretty ramshackle compared with other countries. Australian horse fanciers of my acquaintance have poured scorn at the standard of facilities for punters at the Curragh, for example, compared to much less renowned tracks in their own country. Apparently The Curragh is a wonderful track on which to test a horse's quality (again, not an expert) but as for the human paying punters.......

Is it not time that the horsey set contributed a bit more to the economy than they currently do? Sharing it out among the general participants in the industry, from workers to punters, does not seem to be uppermost in their minds. Maybe they need the central government to, er, encourage them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

could the comments about the curragh be down to the fact it's currently like a building site with the upgrades being done?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Trickle down economy does not work or Bush junior would have had the US economy flying with all the tax cuts he was passing around to the wealthy...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

As per boards.ie t&c, please dont discuss the specifics of any ongoing cases in the courts. The issue that the OP raises is whether the overall economy benefits from tax exempt industries, not the particulars of any ongoing dispute.

Advertisement