Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The trial of Molly Martens

• 26-07-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭

Been following this for the last while. Limerick man Jason Corbett was clubbed to death in his North Carolina home by his father in law,Thomas Martens, who was a former FBI agent. Jasons wife, Molly Martens-Corbett looked on as this happened.

The father and daughters defence is that the father heard noises coming from upstairs in the house so he grabbed a baseball bat. He went upstairs to the master bedroom where he claims he saw Jason with his hands around Mollys neck threatening to kill her. His defence is that he killed Jason in self defence for him and his daughter. Forensics say that a landscape stone was also used and that his skull was badly smashed having being struck at least ten times on the head. It happened at around 3am and Jason Corbett was found dead when emergency services arrived.

The prosecution is saying that the playing of the 911 emergency tape will show that Molly and her father Thomas were very calm while Jason was dying. They will also say that neither of the accused had any marks on them that indicate Jason attacked them.

Trial is expected to last 3-4 weeks, this local newspaper seems to be a good source of the court reporting
    http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170725/testimony-begins-in-corbett-murder-trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wilson palacios

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Been following this for the last while. Limerick man Jason Corbett was clubbed to death in his North Carolina home by his father in law,Thomas Martens, who was a former FBI agent. Jasons wife, Molly Martens-Corbett looked on as this happened.

The father and daughters defence is that the father heard noises coming from upstairs in the house so he grabbed a baseball bat. He went upstairs to the master bedroom where he claims he saw Jason with his hands around Mollys neck threatening to kill her. His defence is that he killed Jason in self defence for him and his daughter. Forensics say that a landscape stone was also used and that his skull was badly smashed having being struck at least ten times on the head. It happened at around 3am and Jason Corbett was found dead when emergency services arrived.

The prosecution is saying that the playing of the 911 emergency tape will show that Molly and her father Thomas were very calm while Jason was dying. They will also say that neither of the accused had any marks on them that indicate Jason attacked them.

Trial is expected to last 3-4 weeks, this local newspaper seems to be a good source of the court reporting
    http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170725/testimony-begins-in-corbett-murder-trial

Is there a podcast on it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, we can read it in the papers every day this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Did I read first responders or police officers had to ask mollly to stop repeatedly rubbing her neck . which later went on to show slight red marks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Apparently the dead man had traces of his wifes sleeping tablets in his blood. very suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Read the headlines this morning. Alibi seems very weak almost nonsense. She's blonde & pretty, he's an ex-FBI agent (would have thought they could come up with a better story), seem wealthy enough. Probably not guilty verdict, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Did they intend to kill him or intend to only injure him. Striking him 11 times seems excessive. I'd imagine the first blow would render him close to unconscious. The sleeping tablets in the blood stream is very suspicious. The whole case is a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Do the statements the children made alleging verbal and physical abuse they had witnessed by their dad towards their stepmum still stand? I'm sure I heard somewhere that those statements are being challenged but I can't find it now.

Did they intend to kill him or intend to only injure him. Striking him 11 times seems excessive. I'd imagine the first blow would render him close to unconscious. The sleeping tablets in the blood stream is very suspicious. The whole case is a bit odd.

Using a baseball bat and broken paving would suggest they likely intended to kill ,Vs injure

11 times to the head, he also had damage to his body and extremities apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Who knows what happened there but I can't see it being premeditated with the manner of death?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

I wonder did Miss Molly swing the bat and the old man is taking the fall....

There already is a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

For me she's too hot to be guilty. Bit like that foxy knoxy in Italy will be found not guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

DellyBelly wrote: »
    For me she's too hot to be guilty. Bit like that foxy knoxy in Italy will be found not guilty

not too sure about that one, jebus they done some job on that chap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    I wonder did Miss Molly swing the bat and the old man is taking the fall....

I think that's possible; even probable.

This bludgeoning seems done out of anger not self defence. I have doubts her father was even present in the home when the attack occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

mhge wrote: »
    Who knows what happened there but I can't see it being premeditated with the manner of death?

The sleeping drug was bought 3 days before, so if there's going to be pre-meditation, it would be with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Auldloon wrote: »
    Do the statements the children made alleging verbal and physical abuse they had witnessed by their dad towards their mum still stand? I'm sure I heard somewhere that those statements are being challenged but I can't find it now.

She was their stepmother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Jury member got sick looking at the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Apparently her uncles (FBI guys too) showed up at Jason's workplace with a "warrant" and searched the place, taking the childrens passports from a safe. They are in trouble for it.

As soon as they got those children they had to get the f#ck out of the jurisdiction that night. There was a team from this State assisting with efforts above the norm.

Some more road to go with this, real sinister feel.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    Apparently her uncles (FBI guys too) showed up at Jason's workplace with a "warrant" and searched the place, taking the childrens passports from a safe. They are in trouble for it.

As soon as they got those children they had to get the f#ck out of the jurisdiction that night. There was a team from this State assisting with efforts above the norm.

Some more road to go with this, real sinister feel.

Sure didn't her family already claim that they were told Jason was responsible for his first wife's death ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Does anyone have a link to the other thread? I can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We'll never know of it was truly self defence because they made sure he wouldn't be able to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

We'll never know of it was truly self defence because they made sure he wouldn't be able to live.
    If it was self defence

1 She would have had marks on her neck where he was strangling her

2 They wouldn't have needed to batter him dead. The amount of trauma he endured he was no threat to anyone. He was hit with a bat and a paving slab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Apparently, a police officer told her to stop repeatedly rubbing her neck. You can draw your own conclusions about that... I also wonder why was he found naked? Was he in bed asleep at the time I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

How did a paving stone end up in the bedroom? Not an item you'd normally find indoors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

From what I read today, her father walked into the room to see Jason with his hands round Molly's neck and he had stands of her hair in his hands - though, if true, strands of hair in his hands proves nothing...he could have pulled them out while defending himself.

Followed her crap on Facebook for a long time re: the kids. Very odd the way she was going on and on about them. Was previously lots in the papers here, from his family and friends, who had seen her 'psychotic and controlling' behaviour.

IIRC the children's statements were thrown out as it was believed they'd been coached

edit: what gets me is there is no mention of where the landscaping stone came from...I doubt they kept landscaping stones in their bedroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

From what I read today, her father walked into the room to see Jason with his hands round Molly's neck and he had stands of her hair in his hands - though, if true, strands of hair in his hands proves nothing...he could have pulled them out while defending himself.

Followed her crap on Facebook for a long time re: the kids. Very odd the way she was going on and on about them. Was previously lots in the papers here, from his family and friends, who had seen her 'psychotic and controlling' behaviour.

IIRC the children's statements were thrown out as it was believed they'd been coached
    Or they could have been placed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As my old grandfather, the Lord have mercy on him, used to tell us as kids

"Don't stick your mickey into crazy......or if you do, give her a fake name and run far far away as soon as you can"

Given what I've read they seem as guilty as sin. Battered with a baseball bat the oul' fella claimed to have just brought the day before as a present but there are year old photos of the kid with the same bat. The victim found with traces of his wife's sleeping tablets in his system.

Although she is reasonably hot. Not hot enough though for an acquittal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Do you mean that the childrens statements are not going to be allowed into evidence before the jury? I only came across them today and they appear very damning towards Jason, saying that they saw him beat his mother up and that there was lots of arguments between them. Then the Irish Examiner says that the children made further statements on video here in Ireland that contradict the first statements.
    edit: what gets me is there is no mention of where the landscaping stone came from...I doubt they kept landscaping stones in their bedroom?

Definitely a strange one alright. It was a pretty big house so quite the trip to the garden and back to get it while a fight was ongoing.

Also the fact it happened at 3am. Could Thomas Martens and his daughter colluded to attack him at this time? Or was there a genuine argument underway in the bedroom like they say? Also Thomas Martens wife was in the house too but we have heard little or nothing from her. If there was a conspiracy to kill she may be the weak link.

Advertisement