Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Yeah he said 110 million,the place looks great to be fair

20139970_1996743790614761_3908436299673801961_n.jpg?oh=487cd7cdea9c196d3c4fba4cf0d5b106&oe=5A0E7C4D

20228863_1996743787281428_2456475026936083902_n.jpg?oh=b8dfc6383cd97eff3db22a78a136d4e7&oe=59F778CB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Im surprised the council gave permission for that car park it looks terrible there.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭invara

I think there is a bit of wisdom to the carpark. Fully pedestrianized areas often get very quiet and empty- which can feel a bit threatening. So it is good to have a trickle of traffic as it makes a place a bit more active. The little bit of traffic in front of the cathedral works well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does anyone know if the Council are encouraging local businesses to tidy up their facades?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Looks Good but the brown bollards are horrible.

A few things i think are needed tho. I think that for it to really work it would be better if the baby shop and USA stores were small cafes or bars. Maybe it will happen in a few years. I also think it would be good on the site of the former bank of ireland car park if there was a chain restaurant like Nandos or TGI fridays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I haven't seen it yet irl but while I think that the actual canopy looks good, and is an interesting idea, I am not convinced about how it sits in the space and adjacent to the buildings. I do wonder how the buildings that come right up to it would get the roof of the premises fixed if necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Moose..never saw it at night with the lights, looks great.good pics chief.
    Plenty of room between canopy and property roofs for maintenance looksee, doesn't look like at ground level but probably 2m between canopy and slates on roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Anybody spend any time up here over the weekend? Looks like they got a great crowd on Saturday and Sunday evening. 
    Anyone able to share some thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Went down for the match on Sunday. Really enjoyed it - place looked excellent. Great picture and sound regarding the broadcast. The pubs looked to be packed - love to compare both their takings from this Sunday compared to the Sunday that we were in the Munster Final.

Plenty of security, no messing or issues, plenty of kids sitting and watching, Gino's out selling ice cream and more importantly Waterford won.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Went down for the match on Sunday. Really enjoyed it - place looked excellent. Great picture and sound regarding the broadcast. The pubs looked to be packed - love to compare both their takings from this Sunday compared to the Sunday that we were in the Munster Final.

Plenty of security, no messing or issues, plenty of kids sitting and watching, Gino's out selling ice cream and more importantly Waterford won.

Everybody in the area must be delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

He said 110 million from investment and structural funds I think and said the canopy cost 1 million

How much of that was invested in the livery sitting idly on the northern extension! Was it a case of more brown envelopes if one will pardon the pun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

http://www.wlrfm.com/2017/07/24/noise-levels-in-the-new-apple-market-area-in-waterford-city-to-be-monitored/

Do they know at all what they are doing?

Surely this would have been upon the list of considerations?

Max, can you explain this one?

http://www.wlrfm.com/2017/07/24/noise-levels-in-the-new-apple-market-area-in-waterford-city-to-be-monitored/

Do they know at all what they are doing?

Surely this would have been upon the list of considerations?

Max, can you explain this one?

I can imagine , no noise expert obviously,with the canopy it could be noiser yeah, especially with things like yesterday's match happening.great to hear the positive reports about Sat and Sunday though, more of these days please.

How noisey was it during the bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There are some families living in John's lane, it's must be very loud there, less so in Spring garden alley.

I'm sure most events will end by 10.30 pm anyway.

I thought glass we be a good absorber of sound? Well better than metal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

I thought glass we be a good absorber of sound? Well better than metal anyway.[/QUOTE]

Any hard and especially non porus surface will just reflect sound back,glass will be the worst offender of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If they hang blinds from the edges....

Obviously, maybe some sound engineer might know better but a bit of guessing would suggest increase in sound mostly due to increased people numbers, not the addition of a open sided and slightly opened roof structure.
    ...increase numbers is kind of what it was designed to do in a nutshell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the lunatics (Aka students) arriving in september are going too love it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the lunatics (Aka students) arriving in september are going too love it

Think the vibe is very positive of late, hopefully having a rare night out this weekend so looking forward to seeing it with those lights on, area tidied up.that's a bit sad on my part probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hope the lumps of tar in place of some pavement stones are just temp and will be filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Hope the lumps of tar in place of some pavement stones are just temp and will be filled in.

They are temporary and left like that for ESB to access for cabling. As usual ESB taking their time. Once completed all tarmac will be replaced by lovely granite :)

They are temporary and left like that for ESB to access for cabling. As usual ESB taking their time. Once completed all tarmac will be replaced by lovely granite :)

Ah that's unfair on esb lucky, they're the lads out in crazy weather getting the electricity back on after stormy weather no matter if its Christmas time or whatever.they are a bit of a law into themselves though.I presume all the fencing is down.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There are some families living in John's lane, it's must be very loud there, less so in Spring garden alley.

I'm sure most events will end by 10.30 pm anyway.

I thought glass we be a good absorber of sound? Well better than metal anyway.

Those families in John's lane have been putting up with increased noise from the Kasbar & nightclubs etc for the last 20 years or so.

As you said most events finished by 10.30pm so no additional late night noise.

Anyone go to ham sandwich last Saturday? What was it like? Surprised nothing in local papers, well very little anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭savic04

Max Powers wrote: »
    Anyone go to ham sandwich last Saturday? What was it like? Surprised nothing in local papers, well very little anyway.

I was in there, great buzz around..

Just what Waterford needed, although I heard the Gardai werent overly happy with some of the drinking arrangements

What was great was even mch after the band was over just how mny people stayed outside for the rest of the night.. Was like being on holidays

The place itself Was badly designed if the plan was to host such events, the canopy etc, the sound didnt travel well, (i was outside Geoffs and vouldnt make out very clear) that said all in all in a great night

Would def make me want to go in again to an event whereas before I try to avoid Johns St area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Was in around the area last night for the first time and am massively impressed. Great atmosphere and some great new bars in there. The canopy really creates a focal point for the city and the atmosphere it creates gives the place a bit of character .

Massive credit to whoever came up with this. In theory, Id have thought "waste of money, don't really see the point." In practice, I think we've got something else to be proud of.

I don't live in Waterford anymore but always had a biased love for the place and defended it as "the best city in Ireland" to those slagging it off. I knew it wasn't true because although the county is beautiful, the city was run down and stank of neglect. Now I can honestly say it's kicking on and it's becoming a place to be truly proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

savic04 wrote: »
    I was in there, great buzz around..

Just what Waterford needed, although I heard the Gardai werent overly happy with some of the drinking arrangements

What was great was even mch after the band was over just how mny people stayed outside for the rest of the night.. Was like being on holidays

The place itself Was badly designed if the plan was to host such events, the canopy etc, the sound didnt travel well, (i was outside Geoffs and vouldnt make out very clear) that said all in all in a great night

Would def make me want to go in again to an event whereas before I try to avoid Johns St area

And what are the legal restrictions on drinking in the area? I presume something along the lines of - if you're drinking in the Kazbar, you can't bring your drink outside of the Kazbar into the general "square"?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

They need to work to a schedule to minimize outages for the shops, pubs, restaurants etc. They have had enough disruption as it is. Place looks great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

A great buzz in the area today but I just think the cars driving around is an accident waiting to happen

Advertisement