Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commentary Clowns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bernard Flynn is the worst co-commentator I've ever heard. Makes Carney sound competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

1. Martin Carney [Over 20 years with the same ****e and very minimal insight]
    2. Bernard Flynn [Excitable and no insight]
    3. Tommy Carr [As other posted have alluded to :-)]

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

1. Martin Carney [Over 20 years with the same ****e and very minimal insight] 2. Bernard Flynn [Excitable and no insight] 3. Tommy Carr [As other posted have alluded to :-)]

Cearney after half time announced that Dublin had made a number of positional changes. Well done Martin, only took you half the game to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

At one stage today, one of the Down forwards sliced a ball horribly wide, was nearer the corner flag than the goalposts. The trajectory of the ball was about three foot off the ground the whole way.

Cue Ger Canning: "that's a great point"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

greysheep wrote: »
    Cearney after half time announced that Dublin had made a number of positional changes. Well done Martin, only took you half the game to notice!

Carney have been asleep for first half. He was absolutely painful to listen to yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Gael85 wrote: »
    Carney have been asleep for first half. He was absolutely painful to listen to yesterday

Yesterday? He always is!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Yesterday Dublin Kildare.

'Oh that free/card is a bit hash'
    Replay show. Clear foul/assault
    'Well the ref was right there by the letter of the law. That what the rules say.'
    'Still 'twas a bit harsh'

How can making the right decision as clearly defined in the rule book be harsh???
    This happened over and over.
    We had to turn the volume off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Flip-Marty commentating on radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Seamus Callinan getting an ice pack strapped to his elbow, and Canning says "they will be concerned with his hand injury"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

"It's a 1 point game, 2 point game"and so on. If the teams are level is it a no point game? I never heard a Soccer commentator saying,"It's a 1 goal game".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

If I have to hear "honest" once more on Sky, I'll explode: "Good honest runs", "honest ball".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jelutong wrote: »
    "It's a 1 point game, 2 point game"and so on. If the teams are level is it a no point game? I never a Soccer commentator saying,"It's a 1 goal game".

I think the reason somr say its a 1 goal game is when its 3 points it is a 1 goal game. I have heard soccer commentators say a 1 score game

If I have to hear "honest" once more on Sky, I'll explode: "Good honest runs", "honest ball".

It is one of their 'must do' phrases. Others include

"dream start for (insert team name)"
    "(so many) points on the spin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He's a very good commentator,don't know why he isn't doing it at present.Maybe has an over tendency to use the words "corker" and "stunning" when describing good/great scores,but he is much better than the others,particularly Canning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Seamus Callinan getting an ice pack strapped to his elbow, and Canning says "they will be concerned with his hand injury"

It was probably a hand injury. It certainly looked like that to me on TV from the way he reacted.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/tipperary-concern-over-s%C3%A9amus-callanan-injury-1.3164024

Callanan, who finished with seven points, four from play, had to be replaced before the end and Tipperary will be anxious as they wait for news of any prognosis.

“Séamus Callanan has ice on his elbow, to be honest after that I don’t know. The initial news I got on the sideline was that his fingers were in trouble – does that mean broke, I honestly don’t know. The medics will be all over it. We’ll know for sure within 24 hours.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Some amount of baloney spoken by Marty Morrisey in his introduction to today match.He basically just gave everyone the route the fans would have taken to get down to Cork today, as if anyone would be remotely interested in hearing it.Marty, you don't work for AA roadwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Some amount of baloney spoken by Marty Morrisey in his introduction to today match.He basically just gave everyone the route the fans would have taken to get down to Cork today, as if anyone would be remotely interested in hearing it.Marty, you don't work for AA roadwatch.

Ah he's absolutely dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Marty would drive you to drink!!...on now interviewing 'fans' that were at Wexford game today....says to one girl in a totally demeaning tone of voice...'And where are you from?'....girl responds 'Ah...Wexford' cue Marty....'And I would never have guessed that from the Wexford jersey you are wearing!'

And that tango coloured twat is prob on 200k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

dirtyden wrote: »
    A Duignan classic line, particularly when describing an absolute poleaxeing of a frontal charge.

in fairness Duignan wasn't that kind of a player , ask David Forde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiFCH0bSht4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Ger Cannings inability to hide his disgust when a player makes a mistake is quite something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Ger Canning loves calling points, delicious or gorgeous etc. It's so annoying along with all the names and calls he gets so badly wrong.
    Darragh Maloney is the opposite of this thread. He is by far the best gaa commentator rte have. As expected he is also the best tv studio presenter they have. Sadly since Bill died they need him for soccer too, which limits the amount of gaa matches he commentates on these days.

He finished with aplomb. Another Canning classic.

Marty Morrissey including nic-names in a players title - Michael "Brick" Walsh, Colm "Gooch" Cooper etc.

Brick Walsh or the Gooch is just fine. No need for the full title you cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Lots of hate for Marty on here but I must say I enjoy his commentary for the most part. He's nothing if not passionate and his love of the game really comes across, even if he goes off on a bit of a tangent at times... 😉 Would take him ahead of most, bar Darragh 'Corker' Maloney, who often hits it right out of the sweet spot! 😆

Do these commentators have a 'day job'

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

greysheep wrote: »
    Do these commentators have a 'day job'

Marty worries sheep on a seasonal basis.

Also rumoured to model Calvin Klein underwear in the off season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Thread is gone a little silly now, yes there are some poor commentators and the whole thing needs to be freshened up, but ffs if you analyse every single thing a commentator says of course you will find a few cock ups, I don't think lads realise how difficult a job it is really.

Yeah Marty gives me ire at times, his rabble before the Leinster Final was particularly nauseating but at least as others have said he has passion for the game and he certainly can't be accused of not doing his research before a game.

We're all passionate for the game.

No excuse, Marty is getting worse, trying hard to be Micheal O Muirithertaigh or Micheal O Hehir. This pretentious schtick gets to me at times. Pain in the fuppin hole.

Ml Duignan has let him self down badly getting involved with Davy Fitz. Davy was probably right to have a cut at the incessant badmouthing of the sweeper system.

It works for him and for Derek McGrath too, it might not be pleasing to the eye but in fairness it has become a part of the game now and it's time to get over the whole purity of hurling argument that the pundits extoll.
    Half the crowd going to matches wouldn't necessarily be aware of a sweeper being employed at times.

For years Kilkenny swarmed the middle third and no-one dared question this. Sure they were gentlemen of the game. Me hole. They'd have killed you to win and if Cody even dropped a sweeper last year they would have avoided the hammering against Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

buck65 wrote: »

For years Kilkenny swarmed the middle third and no-one dared question this. Sure they were gentlemen of the game. Me hole. They'd have killed you to win and if Cody even dropped a sweeper last year they would have avoided the hammering against Tipp.

Like Waterford did in the Munster Final??

Advertisement