Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance after total

• 17-07-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

This is most certainly a silly question, but here we go.

Car tax and car insurance, I believe, are mostly paid on a yearly basis in Ireland.

What happens with either if I total the car after 3 months? Will the tax be reimbursed and the insurance policy be cancelled/moved to the next car without further deductions/fees on the money I already paid (I am not talking about the next contract, only about the existing one)?

I am asking in general here --- obviously I assume that there are differences between insurance companies in the way things are handled. However, I am more interested in getter a general feel of how things run.

Best, A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Depending on the terms and conditions of the policy (minimum premium, is it paid by dd) the insurers may refund part of the premium on some sort of pro rata basis.

As far as I understand it, if a vehicle is permanently scrapped or exported, you can claim refund on any remaining tax , providing there is at least three months tax still remaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Chiorino wrote: »
    Depending on the terms and conditions of the policy (minimum premium, is it paid by dd) the insurers may refund part of the premium on some sort of pro rata basis.

As far as I understand it, if a vehicle is permanently scrapped or exported, you can claim refund on any remaining tax , providing there is at least three months tax still remaining.

If there is a claim on the policy that is paid no insurer will give a refund in the event of a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Rod Munch wrote: »
    If there is a claim on the policy that is paid no insurer will give a refund in the event of a cancellation.

What about the consuming part of the insurance?

Let's say I have my car insured for €10000. I claim €4000 for damage, the car is fixed and two month later the car is stolen.

How much would be paid out? €6000 or €10000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

grogi wrote: »
    What about the consuming part of the insurance?

Let's say I have my car insured for €10000. I claim €4000 for damage, the car is fixed and two month later the car is stolen.

How much would be paid out? €6000 or €10000?

Market value at the time of the accident.

Chances are a €10k car that has had €4k worth of damage to it is not going to be worth near €10k.

Advertisement