Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a wine

• 19-07-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hi I am visiting a relative for dinner and they are quite into their wine. I was hoping to bring over a nice bottle but haven't a clue about it myself. My budget is up to €20. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Go to a decent independent wine shop or off licence and ask that question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In any independent off licence, look for something from Tinpot Hut (Australia, New Zealand), or Rioja Riservas from Spain or Guigal (France, Cotes du Rhones), or Jadot (France, Burgundy), or Bordeaux wines listed as Cru Bourgeois.

In O'Briens, anything from Gerard Bertrand (France) or Ascheri (Italy) or Kendall-Jackson (USA).

You'd have to have very bad luck to get a poor bottle from them.

In Tesco, their Finest Barolo (Italy) or Madiran (France) will be a pleasant surprise.

In the 15 - 20 euros range, some Marks and Spencer wines are getting great reviews e.g. wines from Uruguay.

To spring a surprise, you probably want to steer clear of the major brands like Gallo, Blosson Hill, Yellow Tail, I20, Casillero del Diablo, Campo Vieja, Wolf Blass, Barefoot, Hardys, Jacobs Creek, Eagle Hawk, Santa Rita, McGuigan, Cono Sur.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Do you know if they prefer red or white?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In any independent off licence, look for something from Tinpot Hut (Australia, New Zealand), or Rioja Riservas from Spain or Guigal (France, Cotes du Rhones), or Jadot (France, Burgundy), or Bordeaux wines listed as Cru Bourgeois.

In O'Briens, anything from Gerard Bertrand (France) or Ascheri (Italy) or Kendall-Jackson (USA).

In Tesco, their Finest Barolo (Italy) or Madiran (France) will be a pleasant surprise.

In the 15 - 20 euros range, some Marks and Spencer wines are getting great reviews e.g. wines from Uruguay.

To spring a surprise, you probably want to steer clear of the major brands like Gallo, Blosson Hill, Yellow Tail, I20, Casillero del Diablo, Campo Vieja, Wolf Blass, Barefoot, Hardys, Jacobs Creek, Eagle Hawk, Santa Rita, McGuigan, Cono Sur.

I'm not the Op buts that's a great post, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

odyssey06 wrote: »

Excellent thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement