Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

New character is .... Wait for the shock.... No it's Ed.

https://youtu.be/E52Ggv9zsjU

In other news I ****ing love Vespers videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

y90a05l1hwvy.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You know, I kinda like the idea of older Ed- a Boxer/Dictator/Abel hybrid- but that character design man...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Not following chopper, how so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I remember back when the SFIV ending with Balrog finding the kid (now known as Ed) was first seen, people were theorising that he'd grow up to become Q.

Which made total sense at the time, given that Q is a kinda weird Robot man with blond hair and rush punches.

Not really digging his Jo-Jo threads though, the minimalist hoodie thing nearly looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Azza wrote: »
    Not following chopper, how so?

It was a joke. His costume is similar to a Jo-Jo's character.

JojosBizarreAdventureAllStarBattleJotaro_thumb.jpg

Not sure man. I use 3-5 all platforms and getting loads of opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Not sure man. I use 3-5 all platforms and getting loads of opponents.

Turns out my net was having problems. Seemed better yesterday evening so deleted my moaning post. The game is still a bit.... dry. I'll keep returning but I still find myself disappointed with V every time I play for a length of time.

Might be rose tinted glasses but I yearn for the days of SSFIV, capcom got it so right. They added just enough to the roster and really awesome choices like Mak, Guy, Juri, Dudley etc. Before it kinda got out of hand with arcade and bloated with Ultra. Sigh... V is missing something, but I just can't put my finger on it. Even playing USF2 on the switch, it has that 'something' that makes it special.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Turns out my net was having problems. Seemed better yesterday evening so deleted my moaning post. The game is still a bit.... dry. I'll keep returning but I still find myself disappointed with V every time I play for a length of time.

Might be rose tinted glasses but I yearn for the days of SSFIV, capcom got it so right. They added just enough to the roster and really awesome choices like Mak, Guy, Juri, Dudley etc. Before it kinda got out of hand with arcade and bloated with Ultra. Sigh... V is missing something, but I just can't put my finger on it. Even playing USF2 on the switch, it has that 'something' that makes it special.

Believe it or not I know plenty of people who said the exact same thing about SSFIV. :D

• Advertisement

Believe it or not I know plenty of people who said the exact same thing about SSFIV. :D

SSFIV had more play style variety & content than SFV.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    SSFIV had more play style variety & content than SFV.

I can distinctly remember you being one of them...

Everyone moaned that SSFIV was too zoning heavy and had too many defensive options (FADC, I believe, being described by yourself as stupid).

I can distinctly remember you being one of them...

Everyone moaned that SSFIV was too zoning heavy and had too many defensive options (FADC, I believe, being described by yourself as stupid).

I don't recall people complaining about Super at first. It was well received and considered a good improvement over vanilla. The only real criticism I remember at the time is that it should have offered as DLC update to the original as well as just the stand alone update.

Gradually the meta developed over time and there was a consensus that the game did favor defensive characters, but the balance was still good overall but there wasn't near the level of complaining as there was for vanilla, AE and now V. People were not exactly crying out for an update to Super, but when AE was announced the community was like cool, this will freshen things up again, then we got to play AE and :pac:

I actually agree with Kiki, FADC was stupid. Not in terms of extending combo's which was fine but in terms of giving certain character safe reversals at too little cost. Ultra was right to try and address that, although it arguably didn't go far enough. There was probably too many reversal options as well, I would know I played Bison, the b**tard had a million of them.

But the last 2 complaints were not specific to Super but the IV series in general.

I don't recall people complaining about Super at first. It was well received and considered a good improvement over vanilla. The only real criticism I remember at the time is that it should have offered as DLC update to the original as well as just the stand alone update.

I can show you a video where someone goes around our community one by one and virtually no one will say a positive word about Super.

People who had the audacity to play SFIV as their first game were called '09ers and lambasted on SRK for daring to be new at a game. 3S players considered it blasphemy against their "perfect" game.

You know all this :D

There was plenty silly about focus, but that is my argument? Who complains about focus now? There are people who now view the combo system in SFIV as a complex, technical thing. That is exactly what is going on above. Suddenly SFIV as a series is unassailable.

There's loads to complain about in SFV (although apparently Tekken 7's launch is making SFV's look good). I just really dislike it when people parrot reasons rather than build a cohesive argument, especially when it is delivered in a sneering tone (not saying that you are).

I definitely remember the blasting of 4 and how 3s was never to be topped. I ignored that. I never liked 3s, although I had played on the friends dreamcast and bought on Xbox as part of the anniversary collection it never clicked with me.
    Like loads of others 4 had me jump from lurking around srk to making an account and joining in. The 09er thing was grand, people got too worked up over ****.

Was always a huge fan of 2, the alphas even the ex games. HDR I loved and V I still return to all the time unlike XTekken, that game was such a stomach punch of disappointment I never even think of it ha ha

Jack X was fantastic in that game though, found him really fun.

I still hold out hope that V will introduce some sort of mechanic that frees it up a little. Something to make it less rigid and boxed in.

I can show you a video where someone goes around our community one by one and virtually no one will say a positive word about Super.

Post the link please.

Don't recall that at all. maybe with the IFGC but I'm referring to the FGC in general. I don't recall many singing its praises at the time either but I do recall a lot less complaining than vanilla. Some people were of the opinion that SF IV series was trash and beyond saving and they didn't care for Super but they were never going. As far as I'm aware no one said it was a worse game than vanilla.
    People who had the audacity to play SFIV as their first game were called '09ers and lambasted on SRK for daring to be new at a game. 3S players considered it blasphemy against their "perfect" game.

Yeah, SRK's established community was hostile to players who started with IV. Wasn't just 3S players of course some ST players looked down on 3S in the same way, although the 3S community was arguably the most elitist. However stating you think one game is a lot better is another does not mean they were saying the better game was "perfect".
    There was plenty silly about focus, but that is my argument? Who complains about focus now? There are people who now view the combo system in SFIV as a complex, technical thing. That is exactly what is going on above. Suddenly SFIV as a series is unassailable.

Ah I just complained about FA in the previous post!!!.
    Your putting words in peoples mouths. There not putting SFIV on a pestle and saying its perfect or is up there with ST/3S or whatever other fighting game you want to put up there. What they are saying is that the combo system in SF IV is considerable more complex and technical than V is and I think that's an accurate statement. I've see plenty of people saying IV is better than V and I think that myself, but I haven't seen people in the same posts say or implied that SF IV was perfect.
    There's loads to complain about in SFV (although apparently Tekken 7's launch is making SFV's look good). I just really dislike it when people parrot reasons rather than build a cohesive argument, especially when it is delivered in a sneering tone (not saying that you are).

I find that hard to believe. We are only 3 days after launch, I know SF V had online issues for 2-3 days solid. If its fixed shortly all will be forgiven because Tekken 7 has content. SFV probably can't even match it 15 months or so after launch.

I agree on people parroting reasons.

Ah I just complained about FA in the previous post!!!.
    Your putting words in peoples mouths. There not putting SFIV on a pestle and saying its perfect or is up there with ST/3S or whatever other fighting game you want to put up there. What they are saying is that the combo system in SF IV is considerable more complex and technical than V is and I think that's an accurate statement. I've see plenty of people saying IV is better than V and I think that myself, but I haven't seen people in the same posts say or implied that SF IV was perfect.

You're really missing my point.

I'm not saying FA is amazing! I'm perfectly happy to agree it's a bit pants. I'm just pointing out how people's perception over time changes when they're not actually actively thinking about it.

The above perfect example of someone who will not say a bad word now about SFIV once there is V to bash, but was extremely happy to do so in the past. You just need to look through the posts here if you need examples.

I don't want to be picking on Kiki he's not the main offender. Perhaps you're not in the same FB groups I am where there is literally a constant stream of unthinking negativity about V. It's... wearing. More dangerously, it probably means the good feedback for Capcom will get lost in the wash.

...that being said I owe him an apology as he's by far one of the most positive in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUvmJ4C4u28

Also I've heard quite a few people complaining about the Tekken single player content too... and plenty of people have still yet to get a ranking game on T7.

The same level of negativity is just not there.

Danonino. wrote: »
    I definitely remember the blasting of 4 and how 3s was never to be topped. I ignored that. I never liked 3s, although I had played on the friends dreamcast and bought on Xbox as part of the anniversary collection it never clicked with me.
    Like loads of others 4 had me jump from lurking around srk to making an account and joining in. The 09er thing was grand, people got too worked up over ****.

Was always a huge fan of 2, the alphas even the ex games. HDR I loved and V I still return to all the time unlike XTekken, that game was such a stomach punch of disappointment I never even think of it ha ha

Jack X was fantastic in that game though, found him really fun.

I still hold out hope that V will introduce some sort of mechanic that frees it up a little. Something to make it less rigid and boxed in.

I think the V trigger could work to do that if they re jigged it a bit. I think most people feel constrained by SFV somewhat, although if you just want to free wheel it Necalli is the way to go :)

I think the V trigger could work to do that if they re jigged it a bit. I think most people feel constrained by SFV somewhat, although if you just want to free wheel it Necalli is the way to go :)

I ended up flapping about before landing on Juri, she seems to have a little more freedom in how to do damage or mix things up a little. She's enjoyable enough, I miss Fei, Guy, Gen a few playstyles that could fit well into V.

You're really missing my point.

I'm not saying FA is amazing! I'm perfectly happy to agree it's a bit pants. I'm just pointing out how people's perception over time changes when they're not actually actively thinking about it.

The above perfect example of someone who will not say a bad word now about SFIV once there is V to bash, but was extremely happy to do so in the past. You just need to look through the posts here if you need examples.

I don't want to be picking on Kiki he's not the main offender. Perhaps you're not in the same FB groups I am where there is literally a constant stream of unthinking negativity about V. It's... wearing. More dangerously, it probably means the good feedback for Capcom will get lost in the wash.

...that being said I owe him an apology as he's by far one of the most positive in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUvmJ4C4u28

Also I've heard quite a few people complaining about the Tekken single player content too... and plenty of people have still yet to get a ranking game on T7.

The same level of negativity is just not there.

I think your missing my point as well. Basically what I'm getting at as yes people mindlessly and snobbishly regurgitate negative tosh about a game and its irritating but its as bad to misinterpret or embellish other more balanced critiques.

I didn't say FA was a bit pants, I just did not like that one of its main facets was safe reversals, something that was partially addressed in Ultra. I did not mind FA in the neutral game, I know some people complained it affected footsies too much but I found the footsie game in the SF IV series to be fine. I also did not mind FADC combo's, they were pretty cool. Overall SF IV was better for having FA than not having it.

I am seeing plenty of negative feedback about SF V. Alioune in particular seems on a mission to re-tweet every negative tweet in the world about SF V (he also disliked IV). I've seen plenty of posts and tweets saying IV had better mechanics and implying IV was a better game, but I'm not seeing any that say IV was perfect. Maybe mocking posts along the lines of "SF IV is godlike compared to the trash that is V" but again I wouldn't equate that to saying SF IV was good. Maybe we are reading different posts and forums...I dunno.

Also in that video as many if not more people seemed positive about Super than negative. Which is kinda my point again.

Regarding Tekken 7 I don't know, might be that SF series has a bigger competitive fan base, might just be early days, but there's been a lot wrong and still a lot wrong with SF V 16 months launch. The Tekken community might sour if problems persist for any length of time.

• Advertisement

Needs a new thread title.

"RIP 1987-2017 Street Fighter V: AbiFail edition "

Christ Kiki. If everyone went on like you, new people would never join the FGC, and it'd just be you in a corner playing 3S wondering why no one wants to play.

Christ Kiki. If everyone went on like you, new people would never join the FGC, and it'd just be you in a corner playing 3S wondering why no one wants to play.

If the first FG people are exposed to is SFV, I wouldn't blame them for not looking much further.

It's a mess in aesthetics (both character designs & menus) and it's frustrating as hell to play online.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If the first FG people are exposed to is SFV, I wouldn't blame them for not looking much further.

It's a mess in aesthetics (both character designs & menus) and it's frustrating as hell to play online.

The character designs are fine. Even if Abigail looks like muck (he does) SF has a cartoony aesthetic and he's not out of place in a world with Hugo and Oro. Of all the issues with the game, aesthetic isn't the one most people have.

I get consistently fine matches too, but this isn't the point.

The above post wasn't funny, it wasn't really contributing, it was negative for the sake of negativity. It was an empty, nasty post. It's the type of stuff that scares new players and contributors away.

I don't want people running into stuff like that on this forum, or anywhere else for that reason, because I've spent the last 10 years of my life trying to make FGs grow. Can you not understand why posting something like that is, frankly, a pain in my hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

In more positive news, Cobelcog went to Evo, won his pools and finished Top 129.

Delighted to see Tokido tear it up (especially with Akuma). Some great games played out in the bracket.

I still enjoy watching some SFV, but some of the game design confuses me - implements best of 3 in online matches, for example, but removes the ability to change character and removes the "Back to Character Select" menu option for player two in local games.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    In more positive news, Cobelcog went to Evo, won his pools and finished Top 129.

Delighted to see Tokido tear it up (especially with Akuma). Some great games played out in the bracket.

I still enjoy watching some SFV, but some of the game design confuses me - implements best of 3 in online matches, for example, but removes the ability to change character and removes the "Back to Character Select" menu option for player two in local games.

Yeah It was great seeing "Shin" Tokido, I don't think anyone had him to win it.

I've met him a couple of times and he's one of the nicest of the big guys in the scene, so I was chuffed for him.

Yeah we're all scratching our heads over that. It has implications for the metagame (player 2 has to talk to player 1 when he might just want to concentrate on the game,etc).

It's a continual thing you see in FG development, for example Injustice point blank refuses to have a button config that makes sense (something HDR and BB had a decade ago) and Tekken's tournament mode forces unskippable intros. Outside of maybe Skullgirls, they just cannot do a fully working tournament experience.

You do wonder- ask Justin Wong into the room for 15 minutes and all these things would have been fed back.

Abigail's alt will be mandatory I think, looks so much better...

1f604c248939eb44fb2a1f68ffb701ef.jpg

New character reveal, and people seem to not be instantly hating :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Looks poo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Looks like there could be some fun combo potential. Looking forward to seeing what desk does with her!

🤪

Advertisement