Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Teaching Job! Any ideas on summer prep?

Options
  • 17-07-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

After years out of college, I have finally got my first teaching job! (2nd Class Maternity). I will be doing my probation (dip) during this time. I'm just wondering if anyone has ideas on prep I could do during the summer? I have no idea of the class standard, class size etc. But want to be as prepared as possible! All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Don't know if I'm allowed recommend another site but educationposts.ie is packed with info along the lines of what you are looking for.
    Best of luck in the new job but remember to enjoy your summer. You will be busy enough in September so have a bit of downtime for yourself now when you can.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Best to read up on curriculum for that class . Prep will depend on the level in the class, so don't do too much as it may be on the wrong level for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My advice is forget about it for the moment and just enjoy the summer. It is a long school year without extending it into the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My advice is forget about it for the moment and just enjoy the summer. It is a long school year without extending it into the summer.

I'll echo that. A few days before is plenty of time to think about it as you've never met the class and have no idea what level they're at.

Relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Perhaps becoming familiar with the curriculum for 2nd and possibly doing up a general yearly thematic plan would be your best bet at this stage until you get a feel for your class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Get plenty of rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Well done LittleBrick!

I completed my Dip this year with 1st and 2nd class - and I also would suggest getting some rest. It is a ridiculously busy year and it being my first year out, I was constantly learning everyday. The planning is quite time consuming but there's lots of plans for sale on mash.ie and I also found twinkl a lifesaver for displays.

I didn't get my job until middle of August last year so I would also agree with not doing a whole lot as you don't know the class. What I did do was got a few bits and pieces for displays ready that I knew I needed - banners for Maths, English, Gaeilge, SESE displays, calendar, days of the week flashcards, months flashcards, job chart etc. just a few bits and pieces to have ready to go from the start. Last year we had to go in the two days before the kids and the teachers used this as time to get the classrooms ready so I was delighted to have a few bits to put up and make the place look welcoming. Also I got to bring in some of my own stationary and storage boxes, games etc.

Advertisement