Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Considering buying a shed for storage - will I have problems with damp or with theft?

• 17-07-2017 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a shed to put in the yard for storage, in lieu of having a usable attic.

Anyone who has experience of this, can you please advise on the following:
    1. Are these a magnet for burglars? I don't expect to store anything valuable in there but I'd rather not draw scumbags onto the property regardless.
    2. Can I expect damp inside the shed?
    3. Are Steeltech good? I will shop around but I've seen a couple of their sheds and they looked decent.
    4. I assume it's fine to put this down on a concrete slab of (I think) 4"? It's not going to be storing anything particularly heavy.

Any answers would be appreciated to the above questions! I can give more info if that helps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

JAHnathan wrote: »
    1. Are these a magnet for burglars? I don't expect to store anything valuable in there but I'd rather not draw scumbags onto the property regardless.
    2. Can I expect damp inside the shed?
    3. Are Steeltech good? I will shop around but I've seen a couple of their sheds and they looked decent.
    4. I assume it's fine to put this down on a concrete slab of (I think) 4"? It's not going to be storing anything particularly heavy.

1. Depends where you live? Ask your neighbours. If it's not visible from the public street or road, then safer. If it's awkward to get off the public street/ road and into where it is, safer etc.

2. Not if it's well made and you look after drainage etc. You will likely get condensation inside an unheated shed, particularly on metal surfaces. But if ventilation is provided, this will evaporate too.

3. Dunno

4. Depends on what your shed is made of - difference in weight between a solid block built shed and say a wooden barna type job. Ask the manufacturer if buying one.

Advertisement