Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bin cartels

• 15-07-2017 12:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 28

Hello everyone. Long time admirer, first time poster.

My question is related to bin collection companies. Where I live, one waste company will take care of the bins on one street, another takes care of a different street, and so on and so forth.

In essence, the bin companies have obviously agreed with each other to serve certain areas, and avoid other areas so that they all get an even slice of the pie. On my street, I have no option but to go with one particular company, even though a different company serves the street right next to mine.

Is this legal? Is this not a form of price setting and cartel behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sounds illegal to me, but we now both wait for the boards verdict

• Site Banned Posts: 28 FelchWivMe

Agreed. Only boards has the answers I seek.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have you asked your local council? Have you tried talking to the competition authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What happened when you asked the second company to provide your bin service?

Is it possible that your street is on the border of a local authority area, with the bin company not authorised to cross the border line?

nah, I live in Blanch. Literally one company services the main st, my company services our estate which is right beside the main street. It goes on in other streets and areas in the village and surrounding area as well. They have to be in cahoots

• Advertisement

FelchWivMe wrote: »
    nah, I live in Blanch. Literally one company services the main st, my company services our estate which is right beside the main street. It goes on in other streets and areas in the village and surrounding area as well. They have to be in cahoots

So what happens when you call up the second company and ask to sign up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's the only 'mace I've beard this happen. Most streets complain about the multiplicity of bin lorries servicing them.

What did the second company actually say?

It's a couple of years since we signed up, but from what I remember the other company told us they don't service our area. Yet they service the street right next to us....

FelchWivMe wrote: »
    It's a couple of years since we signed up, but from what I remember the other company told us they don't service our area. Yet they service the street right next to us....

Call them again and see what they say, otherwise we're on a bit of a wild goose chase. Check with your local authority and see what advice they might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OP banned. I thought it was a wind up alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

OP banned. I thought it was a wind up alright.

The issue of having only one provider does actually happen - but the locations they suggest sound like bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I remember when City Bin started in Dublin, I asked if they collected in my area. They collected on the main road but wouldn't service my lane which is about 100m long.

Doubt it was anything to do with a cartel though.

Sometimes companies look at whether or not it's worth their while going down a street where they would only have 1 bin and decide not to collect there.

Advertisement