Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Players to watch this (2017/2018) season

• 13-07-2017 9:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Dusan Tadic has dropped to £6.5m, will be keeping my eye on him in pre-season. If he can repeat the form of 15/16 he could really hit the ground running with Southamptons opening fixtures.

Jon Walters has already been noted in another thread, could be on pens and playing as a striker for Burnley

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (hereafter known as RLC) could be a steal at £4.5m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PVA wrote: »
    Dusan Tadic has dropped to £6.5m, will be keeping my eye on him in pre-season. If he can repeat the form of 15/16 he could really hit the ground running with Southamptons opening fixtures.

Jon Walters has already been noted in another thread, could be on pens and playing as a striker for Burnley

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (hereafter known as RNL) could be a steal at £4.5m

RNL?

RLC Shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is Begovic likely to start for Bournemouth ahead of Boruc? 4.5m, is a tidy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Firmino looks like value at 8.5 when you compare him to the other striking options. Should start even with Salah joining. Could be an enabler.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Never again, that penalty miss still hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is Begovic likely to start for Bournemouth ahead of Boruc? 4.5m, is a tidy option.

Yep Bego will be first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

KevIRL wrote: »
    RNL?

RLC Shirley?

Apologies, RLC. And don't call me Shirley

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

razorblunt wrote: »

Would rather go for Aké in defence. 0.5 mill more, but a good goal threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Solanke at 5M could become a starter for Liverpool up front, I kid ye not. I saw him a couple of times for the England U-21's (or was it U-23?) during the summer at the World Cup. Anyway they won it and Solanke was voted player of the Tournament. He's fast and strong, and can finish. I was astonished to see him at 5M. Let's hope he nails down a spot and becomes the FPL Dele Alli of a couple of seasons ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

manual_man wrote: »
    Solanke at 5M could become a starter for Liverpool up front, I kid ye not. I saw him a couple of times for the England U-21's (or was it U-23?) during the summer at the World Cup. Anyway they won it and Solanke was voted player of the Tournament. He's fast and strong, and can finish. I was astonished to see him at 5M. Let's hope he nails down a spot and becomes the FPL Dele Alli of a couple of seasons ago :D

It was the U20s.
    England won it.

Not sure where to put this but as it's player related -

Who are the must haves ? I'm finding it fairly easy to get Kane, Lukaku and Sanchez into a fairly decent team.

Those 3 seem like nailed on starters unlike others that could be considered as must haves like Kun, Jesus, Lacazette and a few others.

Surely 'must haves' have to guarantee 90 minutes every week barring injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

klopparama wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this but as it's player related -

Who are the must haves ? I'm finding it fairly easy to get Kane, Lukaku and Sanchez into a fairly decent team.

Those 3 seem like nailed on starters unlike others that could be considered as must haves like Kun, Jesus, Lacazette and a few others.

Surely 'must haves' have to guarantee 90 minutes every week barring injury.

I'm not sure who I consider to be a must have at this stage yet.

As others have noted Kane historically starts the season slowly and the Wembley factor needs to be considered

Sanchez, as we don't know where he will end up is a bit up in the air - Will be in my first draft though I'd say

Lukaku - I didn't start with Ibra last year but quickly got him in when I realised how reliant United were on him. Lukaku has trolled me more than once but I would agree he's hard to look past

I personally will be trying to shoehorn Sane into my first draft. Had an excellent end to the season, is a Pep favourite and could score well. My fear is rotation though with the depth of talent available to City (exactly your point about 90 mins guaranteed)

It's hard to say if there are any must haves in defence. I can see myself keeping faith with Heaton on the goal even at 5m but beyond that I have no firm decisions made

Yeah. For big money you need guaranteed minutes.

manual_man wrote: »

The Liverpool thread on here seems to think he'll be into the U-23s for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

If Solanke was a guaranteed starter for 5m it would be a brilliant way into the Liverpool team. Sterling was something similar a few years ago so not beyond the realms of possibility. Won't start in my team but could find his way into it quickly enough

From looking at the people who did really well in my leagues last year most had budget defenders are premium elsewhere. I think this is a tactic I might employ this year rather than trying to balance out everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's really unlikely Solanke will get more than a few minutes here and there this season.

As has been said he's been bought for the under 23s. He might get a run out in the League Cup but he'd even be lucky to get minutes there.

He's currently behind Firmino, Sturridge, Origi and Ings in that order for one central striking spot.

You won't even see him on the bench barring a severe injury crisis imo

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

I am looking out for Iwobi this season.
    Walcott seems to be dropping down the pecking order according to some on the Arsenal fan forum and with Chamberlain potentially leaving Iwobi has a chance.

I know that Ian Brady has spoken of the high esteem that the Arsenal academy coaches have for Iwobi. At 5.5 he is nicely priced too.
    (PS. just saw Iwobi set up lacazette for his goal in Arsenals first preseason match)

Jaggo wrote: »
    I am looking out for Iwobe this season.
    Walcott seems to be dropping down the pecking order according to some on the Arsenal fan forum and with Chamberlain potentially leaving Iwobi has a chance.

I know that Ian Brady has spoken of the high esteem that the Arsenal academy coaches have for Iwobe. At 5.5 he is nicely priced too.

I'd be shocked if they were letting him anywhere near the academy players.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

klopparama wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if they were letting him anywhere near the academy players.

Ha, whoops, should be Liam brady. An absolute killer of a mistake there. I won't correct it; allow others to laugh at it.

Cresswell at £5m might be a handy one. Scored poorly last year, can't remember if he was injured or not but he looks to have played ~100minutes less than the previous 2 seasons when he was easily north of 100 points.

Looking at United and City's buys, Lindelof is 5.5, Krasinicec(sp?) is 6.0, not sure how they're justifying that. I've gone for Lindelof for now but I know that 5.5 will probably change a dozen times over the next 4 weeks.

Schindler at Brighton is worth a gander, 4.5. I'd imagine he'd be on alot of people's Lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Jaggo wrote: »
    Ha, whoops, should be Liam brady. An absolute killer of a mistake there. I won't correct it; allow others to laugh at it.

Yeah I was wondering how anyone called Brady could christen their child Ian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (hereafter known as RLC) could be a steal at £4.5m

I'll be honest that I don't know a whole lot about RLC but is he the best option for a 4.5 mid?

I have him in my first draft going solely off boards.ie but I had Tom Carroll last year for a while and he did alright for me if not setting the world alight.

Preferably I'd like a 4.5 who won't lose value (Capoue did well for me last year)

Is he a DM or is he likely to get in the mix of goals & assists?

Useless fun fact of the day: He's half brothers with Carl Cort & Leon Cort :rolleyes:

I'll be honest that I don't know a whole lot about RLC but is he the best option for a 4.5 mid?

I have him in my first draft going solely off boards.ie but I had Tom Carroll last year for a while and he did alright for me if not setting the world alight.

Preferably I'd like a 4.5 who won't lose value (Capoue did well for me last year)

Is he a DM or is he likely to get in the mix of goals & assists?

Useless fun fact of the day: He's half brothers with Carl Cort & Leon Cort :rolleyes:

He's attacking. If not off the striker then fairly close. He's not a holding or defensive midfielder.

Carroll would have made my team this year even at 5.5m (especially if Siggy left) so I'm now thinking of rolling with Carroll and RLC.

But to answer your question - I'd go with Carroll over RLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Useless fun fact of the day: He's half brothers with Carl Cort & Leon Cort

Twin sisters called Tennis and Badminton as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Lots of GKs to ponder:

Elliot at 4.0m could be unreal, IF Darlow is sold and no big name comes in.

Fabianski at 4.5m is a very nice surprise, he gets lots of save pts as far as I recall.

You also have Begovic and Foster at 4.5m.

I think Courtois is interesting, at 5.5m he could be a cheap way into Chelsea's defence.

Twin sisters called Tennis and Badminton as well!!!

All from the same Dad, Dayn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Jordan Ayew 5M Swansea forward could work as an enabler in a 3-5-2, 4-4-2 especially 'till first WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sergio Romero by the end of august ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Lukaku, pogba, pickford, klassen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Lots of GKs to ponder:

Elliot at 4.0m could be unreal, IF Darlow is sold and no big name comes in.

Fabianski at 4.5m is a very nice surprise, he gets lots of save pts as far as I recall.

You also have Begovic and Foster at 4.5m.

I think Courtois is interesting, at 5.5m he could be a cheap way into Chelsea's defence.

Swansea have 2 GK listed only for 8.5M total.
    BHA CPL,HUD,NEW and WBA are the others atm.

Last year we only had BUR and SUN as options for 8.5M in that slot although Burnley had 3 GKs to pick from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Palace have a rake of midfielders. Will RLC even get much gametime?

Advertisement