Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

1495051525355»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's the night tube now.

I've family in Enfield as well so I'm considering either there or Wood Green/Finsbury Park as other options. I've heard Wood Green is a bit dodgy and there was that attack in Finsbury Park.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wouldn't let the attack put you off Finsbury Park tbh. The actual likelihood of being caught up in an attack is vanishingly low. You're extremely well linked by public transport from there and the park is great for running there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't let the attack put you off Finsbury Park tbh. The actual likelihood of being caught up in an attack is vanishingly low. You're extremely well linked by public transport from there and the park is great for running there.

Ah yeah, I was referring more to petty crime and general safety rather than terror attacks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

I'm moving to just outside London at the end of the summer for a new job.
    Would anyone have any recommendations for which bank to open an account with when I get there? I've heard from a friend to avoid Barclays, as apparently they're very difficult to open an account with...
    Do any of them offer Graduate Accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

EmzBoBo wrote: »
    I'm moving to just outside London at the end of the summer for a new job.
    Would anyone have any recommendations for which bank to open an account with when I get there? I've heard from a friend to avoid Barclays, as apparently they're very difficult to open an account with...
    Do any of them offer Graduate Accounts?

If you have a job offer you wont have any issues opening a bank.
    Im with barclays since i moved here 7 years ago and never had any issues. They have a good app and website for online banking.

I wouldnt say the are difficult to open an account with them, just that they require to you book an appointment first (they dont have much staff anymore as its mostly automated).
    Just call them up and book an appointment in your local branch. Ask what documents you need to bring etc.

You will probably need proof of address so get one of the house bills into your name and have them send a new bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

There's the night tube now.

I've family in Enfield as well so I'm considering either there or Wood Green/Finsbury Park as other options. I've heard Wood Green is a bit dodgy and there was that attack in Finsbury Park.

I live on Green Lnes, more or less halfway between Wood Green and Finsbury park...and its awesome!!

As Rainbow Kirby said, don't let the attack put you off and their is damn all crime here, nothing you wont see in any other part of town. I have only ever seen one fight in the four years I have been living here, never any agro!

Its awesome for transport, 29 to camden and Soho, 141 to London Bridge, 341 to Waterloo and then the Piccadilly and Victoria lines are relatively close too!

More recently a few new bars and restaurants have opened. When I first moved here it was one chinese and an abundance of Turkish restaurants (the best outside of Turkey). Now we have indian, two Vietnamese, a Thai, two awesome burger places, an ice cream parlour which is damn tasty some cool cafes...spoiled for choice!!

Give me a shout if you have any questions about the area but I have most of the god stuff covered above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Hey guys, bit of a random question. I'm moving to Chelsmford in August. My girlfriend is coming over from Australia, shes applying for jobs in the Journalism sector at the minute in the London, Chelsmford area etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any information on agencies that recruited for companies in the journalism sector, communications sector. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

frag420 wrote: »
    I live on Green Lnes, more or less halfway between Wood Green and Finsbury park...and its awesome!!

More recently a few new bars and restaurants have opened. When I first moved here it was one chinese and an abundance of Turkish restaurants (the best outside of Turkey)

Gokyuzu FTW!!

x43r0 wrote: »
    Gokyuzu FTW!!

+1000

Nothing quite like a platter :)

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »

As Rainbow Kirby said, don't let the attack put you off and their is damn all crime here, nothing you wont see in any other part of town. I have only ever seen one fight in the four years I have been living here, never any agro!

Its awesome for transport, 29 to camden and Soho, 141 to London Bridge, 341 to Waterloo and then the Piccadilly and Victoria lines are relatively close too!

More recently a few new bars and restaurants have opened. When I first moved here it was one chinese and an abundance of Turkish restaurants (the best outside of Turkey). Now we have indian, two Vietnamese, a Thai, two awesome burger places, an ice cream parlour which is damn tasty some cool cafes...spoiled for choice!!

Give me a shout if you have any questions about the area but I have most of the god stuff covered above!!

Thanks Frag!

I was looking at Wood Green as that's where I get the bus to see family I have in London. Heard it was a bit dodgy. Seems to be most parts of London, though! Not moving for a bit but this is really good. Ta.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I live in Wood Green itself, a few mins walk from the tube station. I don't love the area at all if i'm honest, was in Archway prior to moving there which was much nicer. I wouldn't say i feel unsafe there but at the same time the "dodgy" reputation is not without merit - seeing areas cordoned off by police tape is not as rare as you'd like! I haven't been caught up in anything mind you

The area had its plus points for sure - good transport links, decent shopping on the high road (although a few places have closed since ive been there such as M&S, and it does get very crowded at weekends) and proximity to Ally Pally, which is great on a sunny day. Green Lanes too as mentioned already has lots of good food & drink options. Cheaper than Finsbury Park too I'd imagine.

EDIT to say i forgot the worst thing IMO about Wood Green, the litter and fly tipping. Its horrendous.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My girlfriend is coming over from Australia, shes applying for jobs in the Journalism sector at the minute in the London, Chelsmford area etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any information on agencies that recruited for companies in the journalism sector, communications sector. Cheers
    I’m not sure about specific recruitment agencies, but a good website to look for journalism jobs is Gorkana – you can set up alerts that will email you vacancies that fit your criteria. I’d also suggest updating her LinkedIn profile as a lot of recruiters use it; I’ve had various ones contact me through LinkedIn about jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Scarinae wrote: »
    I’m not sure about specific recruitment agencies, but a good website to look for journalism jobs is Gorkana – you can set up alerts that will email you vacancies that fit your criteria. I’d also suggest updating her LinkedIn profile as a lot of recruiters use it; I’ve had various ones contact me through LinkedIn about jobs.
    Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

Would anyone have any suggestions for which UK mobile network I should go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Im happy enough with EE have been for 3 years. Everyone here seems to be on bill pay which was unusual as i felt all my life in Ireland we all survived on Meteor €20 a month top ups. EE is a merge of T Mobile and Orange. Decent coverage everwhere and good internet. EU roaming has been banned regardless of who you choose thanks to the EU (who knows post Brexit). Dont go giff gaff/talk talk whatever you do. Vodafone always fleeced us at home so i never bothered with them. Other options are 02 and Virgin mainly. Im happy with EE anyway :)

I'm 4 years with 3, quite happy with them. At the time they were offering the most data for the least money, free roaming in Ireland and reception was good in my area. Feel At Home not quite as good as it used to be but it had free roaming in quite a few non EU countries as well - very useful in the US during my honeymoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ID mobile has very cheap offers. They share the same network as Three.
    I was with Three for 7 years and have just switched to ID Mobile and havent noticed any difference with reception but my bill is 50% cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

I'm 4 years with 3, quite happy with them. At the time they were offering the most data for the least money, free roaming in Ireland and reception was good in my area. Feel At Home not quite as good as it used to be but it had free roaming in quite a few non EU countries as well - very useful in the US  during my honeymoon.
    I will second this, good coverage and loads of data for the cheapest amount. And helps a lot to have free roaming in Ireland and various other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I second third this, been with Three since I moved over to London, ideal for when I got home or travel as my allowed mins & sometimes the data travel with me!!

I'm 4 years with 3, quite happy with them. At the time they were offering the most data for the least money, free roaming in Ireland and reception was good in my area. Feel At Home not quite as good as it used to be but it had free roaming in quite a few non EU countries as well - very useful in the US during my honeymoon.
    Muzi5434 wrote: »
    I will second this, good coverage and loads of data for the cheapest amount. And helps a lot to have free roaming in Ireland and various other countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Giffgaff for me. It's using 02 network and has the roaming now with the recent change. I had to get off 3 some years back. Network was crap around where I work

I use EE. Largely happy with the network itself though the packages available aren't great.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Giffgaff all the way. What other network sends you a statement every month and suggests a cheaper package if your usage is way below the package you currently have?

As mentioned before, o2 coverage which I've no complaints about, £10 gets 500 mins, 2 gigs and unlimited texts (not that I've sent a text in a long time). I have EE on the work phone, coverage is crap around Liv. St. Station so I gave up using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gnimed65

Thanks. Actually, another useful website to check the area scores is https://crystalroof.co.uk All information is displayed on maps, and users can even leave reviews about the areas they know. Unfortunately, not much has been left so far.

Advertisement