Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commentary Clowns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

The disease in GAA analysts most prevalent these days is answering any question beginning with: 'Look,..' As in Tomas O'Se answering Des Cahill: 'Ah look Des...' Variations include 'Listen..' I even heard one manager, can't remember who, replying once: 'Ah come here..'. It always seems a rude way to start the answer to any question.

Another thing that annoys me is how most of them use the word 'allude' or versions thereof incorrectly. Ciaran Whelan is a particularly bad offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ger Canning continually calling the goals "the target"and Conor Lehane "Lee Han".
    +1 from me. Could someone in rte tell him how to pronounce the name.

Does my f***ing head in.

It's just a local variation in Cork. Or they would probably claim that they have it correct and the rest of the country is wrong. Listen at 2:13:40 to hear the authentic Cork pronunciation.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F10746643%5F83%5F10%2D07%2D2017%5F

Anyway I'd be more concerned about how all these Southern Tribes of Spillanes, Cahalanes, Mullanes, Lehanes and the rest somehow think it is OK to make their names rhyme with Can when they quite clearly should rhyme with Cane. It's up there with John Leahy calling himself Lahey. The Murnanes are the only family to get it right as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Le-Han would be the American pronouncation of it. Ger must have watched a few episodes of The Wire, or Shutter Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dennis Lehane author of Shutter Island is pronounced Le Hane. It's a good job Conor Lehane isn't called Leroy Lehane or someone's head might explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It is the GAA equivalent of Middle management speak

http://askthemanager.com/2008/11/the-25-most-annoying-business-phrases/#.WWQMwYTysYU

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/campaigning/examples/management-speak.html

It did get him a job in China in fairness to the guy.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Nothing like the pure unbridled joy of the local commentator. They should bring in a red button job on RTE where you can switch between a commentator from each team or a neutral.

Listen to this passage from a Carlow commentator when they beat Wexford a few weeks ago:
    https://www.balls.ie/gaa/carlow-365573

Some highlights:
    "Carlow and the Dubs, Sky television, where would ya get it?"
    "Are ya going on the beer Kevin?"
    "Ive been commentating for 25, 26...no 22 years"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Denis Lehane, son of Clonakilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The WLRfm commentary at the weekend for the waterford vs killkenny was brilliant. Half through the second half when Waterford couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat, the main commentator asked for a pint of harp.

They were using knicknames for players which unless you're from the county is difficult to get who they mean.

Also when waterford won the main commentator started on about how many presidents and Taoiseachs we've had since 1959 and also pointed out there have been two currency changes in that time.

But this what I love about local radio. The passion for there team and getting carried away with it. In nation radio you expect a level of unbias and professional radio and with some (Mullane, Marty to a degree with clare) you get the exact opposite

A Ger Canning one during the Westmeath v Dublin recent game.

He hails from Tyrrellspass, the same Tyrrellspass that won the Tidytown competition in 1969

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Just watched the recording of the Galway Rossies match - Tommy Carr has to be the worst co-commentator of the lot - there is no analysis in his contributions - just blatther! At one point David Gough gave a free to Roscommon in the second half in front of the posts against Kerrin and the replay (shown a couple of times) showed clearly there was absolutely no foul - I can understand the ref making a mistake in real time but then to hear Tommy justify the mistake as we view the replays is cringeworthly - "there he is with his hand on his back" - his hand was not on his back!

Grow some Tommy and call it as it is instead of all the PC bs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

westcork67 wrote: »
    Just watched the recording of the Galway Rossies match - Tommy Carr has to be the worst co-commentator of the lot - there is no analysis in his contributions - just blatther! At one point David Gough gave a free to Roscommon in the second half in front of the posts against Kerrin and the replay (shown a couple of times) showed clearly there was absolutely no foul - I can understand the ref making a mistake in real time but then to hear Tommy justify the mistake as we view the replays is cringeworthly - "there he is with his hand on his back" - his hand was not on his back!

Grow some Tommy and call it as it is instead of all the PC bs

He's horrific. I don't think that he's being PC, I legitimately believe that he's tuned out of the match - he always manages to "not catch a glimpse" of anything important that happens. Maybe he wants a quiet life :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭threeball

He's horrific. I don't think that he's being PC, I legitimately believe that he's tuned out of the match - he always manages to "not catch a glimpse" of anything important that happens. Maybe he wants a quiet life :confused:

Didn't he wear glasses at one point. He want to go back to the optician, the contacts clearly aren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ger Canning needs biology lessons. Fella goes down, blood spurting from his finger... Ger "Looks like it might be his hamstring"

mordeith wrote: »
    Ger Canning needs biology lessons. Fella goes down, blood spurting from his finger... Ger "Looks like it might be his hamstring"

Same thing with frees

Ger: And hes been pulled up for a pull on the jersey

(Ref does hand over hand motion)

Co-commentator: I think he's been done for overcarrying. Yep its overcarrying

Ger: He really should know better than to think he would get away with such a blatant pull right in front of the referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Willie Hegarty on Shannonside takes the biscuit altogether

he had two co-commentators with him for the Connacht final
    the Roscommon lad was saying yes! everytime something good happened to Ros.
    the other (galway biased pundit) was nearly in tears lamenting how crap Galway were and why they were being penalised by the ref, who he thought was one of the top referees but he was now reconsidering

He is still shocked about how he was shafted by the Dublin county board.

And he was told his time was up....

bmMLFhR.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Last Saturday's Mayo Clare match was the first time I remember hearing Marty commentate on a Clare match in either code, the level of detail he went into was baffling and irrelevant in equal measure;

"There's Donie Buclkey, the Mayo coach, he used to manage the Clare senior footballers. A north Kerry man, living in Ennis and coaching Mayo. He's married to Eileen, a Miltown Malbay woman, and the two have been living here for xxx years", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Last Saturday's Mayo Clare match was the first time I remember hearing Marty commentate on a Clare match in either code, the level of detail he went into was baffling and irrelevant in equal measure;

"There's Donie Buclkey, the Mayo coach, he used to manage the Clare senior footballers. A north Kerry man, living in Ennis and coaching Mayo. He's married to Eileen, a Miltown Malbay woman, and the two have been living here for xxx years", etc.

You must be younger than me. Probably the most excited commentary I've ever heard was for the 92 Munster final when Clare beat Kerry. With the infanous line 'There wont be a cow milked in Clare tonight'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Willie Hegarty on Shannonside takes the biscuit altogether

he had two co-commentators with him for the Connacht final
    the Roscommon lad was saying yes! everytime something good happened to Ros.
    the other (galway biased pundit) was nearly in tears lamenting how crap Galway were and why they were being penalised by the ref, who he thought was one of the top referees but he was now reconsidering
    Hegarty is brutal. He can be quite funny, and even enjoyable enough at times, but as for commentating on what's happening, forget it. I once made the mistake of standing close to him commentating on a club championship game, and the commentary bore no resemblance to what was happening in front of us.
    Add to that Shannonside FM poor production, and being at home and listening to a game is hard work. You would be entering a crucial period of a tight Division 1 game, when you'll hear' thanks willie, last we heard from the Division 4 game in dungarvan, Leitrim were 9 points behind to the home side, over to you John for commentary'

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Does his homework and knows his stuff.
    Crucially he knows when to shut up, and when to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Does his homework and knows his stuff.
    Crucially he knows when to shut up, and when to talk.

He's by far the best GAA commentator IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bambi wrote: »
    The law is that any post that mentions Carney must also contain the phrase "It must be said"

Shocked nobody has thrown into the mix " there was no malice....":D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

seligehgit wrote: »

Usually after someone is after being completely and utterly poleaxed and has been receiving treatment on the pitch for the last five minutes!

thelad95 wrote: »
    Usually after someone is after being completely and utterly poleaxed and has been receiving treatment on the pitch for the last five minutes!

But shur he's not that type of player.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

greysheep wrote:
    Tom Carr, worst co-commentator ever

"He is changing the ball because he is used to a particular type of ball "

No Tom, the ball is soft, they always use an O'Neills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

From Mike Finnerty during tonights match: Broderick taking the free tonight is a man steeped in Carlow football tradition, one of his uncles played for Carlow for years (something like that) and his father drives the team bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

seligehgit wrote: »

A Duignan classic line, particularly when describing an absolute poleaxeing of a frontal charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Martin Carney again

rte must be trying to lose viewers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Martin Carney again

rte must be trying to lose viewers

Hes been there for decades too! Kildare are a team "in embryonic stage". Classic Martin.

Advertisement