Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

• 10-07-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the Mayo GAA discussion thread - Chapter 3, yer trotting them out quicker than a Mills & Boon Romance !.

This is one of the most active forums on Boards.ie. As a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

- Personal abuse

- Rumours about players'/managers'/anyone's personal lives.

- Trolling.

- Accusations of trolling. Report a post if you suspect it to be trolling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mayo 4 Sam 2017

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fk up Suarezistheman! :D

Mayo 4 Sam 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sorry "ureds" (from the old thread) I see the 5pm time on the Twitter feed now also.

I'd have preferred 7pm, but sure Limerick is handy either way for a Mayo man coming from Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Should we beware of the wounded Cork ?

Remember in 2014 they sucked in the Munster final and then gave Mayo a run for their money in the QF ?

I'm not sure myself, all we have heard is that they are in disarray, but they ran at Kerry and created chances, running at Mayo could yield returns too.

But still Mayo should be on that upward trajectory getting ready for QF, so again like Derry and Clare they should have too much for them.

On a side note, Cork used to be Mayo's ultimate bogey team, they went a astonishing 95 years without beating Cork, they finally beat them in the 2011 QF, the game that many could point to as the start of this current very successful, very consistent incarnation of the Mayo team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Season tickets have been updated from Ennis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Remember in 2014 they sucked in the Munster final and then gave Mayo a run for their money in the QF ?

I'm not sure myself, all we have heard is that they are in disarray, but they ran at Kerry and created chances, running at Mayo could yield returns too.

But still Mayo should be on that upward trajectory getting ready for QF, so again like Derry and Clare they should have too much for them.

On a side note, Cork used to be Mayo's ultimate bogey team, they went a astonishing 95 years without beating Cork, they finally beat them in the 2011 QF, the game that many could point to as the start of this current very successful, very consistent incarnation of the Mayo team.

I'd be wary of all teams at this stage, not there for the national anthem (well aside from cusack park!)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    I'd be wary of all teams at this stage, not there for the national anthem (well aside from cusack park!)

The funny thing about Saturday is the best rendition of the anthem has been started by the crowd and then they interrupted it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

What's this I hear about Limerick?

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Season tickets have been updated from Ennis.

That was very quick, somthing for the cb to aim for :D

yop wrote: »
    Fk up Suarezistheman! :D

Mayo 4 Sam 2018

Did I blink and miss a year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

Cork are at nothing, they are at their lowest ebb and we should dispose of them easily.

Let's be having a bit of this then ;)

aidan-o-shea-celebrates-v-tyorne.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I thought they were not bad in the first half against us. Four points down at half time and having given us enough of it, I was a bit worried that if they got a quick goal they could do that Cork thing of suddenly thinking they're as good as you.

We flew out at the start of the second half which they gave up after, but if it had gone the other way you wouldn't know with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Cork are at nothing, they are at their lowest ebb and we should dispose of them easily.

That was the thinking against Galway and look where it got us threat them with the respect that they deserve(unless there the rossies) in saying that with 15 men we would have put Galway away.

There is no pressures on cork if they get a hiding every one will say they where piss poor any way.
    We need to sort of sh1te out way to many red cards being picked up some one needs to tell boyler not to get involved in every little thing going.

Did any one else think they where banned when u couldn't post in the old thread

What odds would you get on Galway sacking there manager after the Donegal game I wounder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

naughto wrote: »
    That was the thinking against Galway and look where it got us threat them with the respect that they deserve(unless there the rossies) in saying that with 15 men we would have put Galway away.

There is no pressures on cork if they get a hiding every one will say they where piss poor any way.
    We need to sort of sh1te out way to many red cards being picked up some one needs to tell boyler not to get involved in every little thing going.

Did any one else think they where banned when u couldn't post in the old thread

This Cork team have zero confidence. Unless there is a sending off or some other unusual incident such as a few goals in Cork's favour then the result is a foregone conclusion. Cork should have a better full forward line than the last day but I would expect Mayo to win by 7/8 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah 2014 cork were in "disarray" too yet they caused us serious problems and by the end we were really hanging on

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Traffic is bad for ye alright especially cgalway and clarenbridge but ye may stick it out this year.galway is ruined with traffic lights.when the new road gets up and running ye will have straight run from Tuam to limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This Cork team have zero confidence. Unless there is a sending off or some other unusual incident such as a few goals in Cork's favour then the result is a foregone conclusion. Cork should have a better full forward line than the last day but I would expect Mayo to win by 7/8 points.

We've been starting very poorly, if we could get off to a fast start it could knock the stuffing out of them but there's nothing to suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah 2014 cork were in "disarray" too yet they caused us serious problems and by the end we were really hanging on

Largely self inflicted,our propensity to sit back on leads and attempt to defend same has been a recurring theme in big games.Much better to try and push on than go conservative and seek to protect a six or seven point lead.We are never very good at doing same.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Largely self inflicted,our propensity to sit back on leads and attempt to defend same has been a recurring theme in big games.Much better to try and push on than go conservative and seek to protect a six or seven point lead.We are never very good at doing same.

Cork just fall away for the last 15 minutes. Can't see them lasting against Mayo.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »

I agree with that. A poster mentioned we were better defensively under horan

Well quite frankly we were all at sea that day. I have a recollection of donncha o Connor and Brian Hurley jogging through our defence for the goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

We should absolutely be wary of Cork. They were well in the Munster final in the first half and had goal chances too. Put it this way, they've beaten a good Tipp side so are going to be at least equal or better than Clare who gave us a scare.

I hope our lads don't have the Galway mentality of thinking they have games won before they step on the field though. I don't think we do. And even if we do and get caught cold at the start we'll have the resilience to fight back.

We should absolutely be wary of Cork. They were well in the Munster final in the first half and had goal chances too. Put it this way, they've beaten a good Tipp side so are going to be at least equal or better than Clare who gave us a scare.

I hope our lads don't have the Galway mentality of thinking they have games won before they step on the field though. I don't think we do. And even if we do and get caught cold at the start we'll have the resilience to fight back.

I would be wary but would base that on the Kerry game more so. I thought they were poor against Tipp and Quinlivan's injury was key. I don't think they were winning that game if he didn't have to go off.

Traditionally cork can often throw up performances against the run of play so to speak

In a couple of weeks in 2015 they should have beaten Kerry and lost to a piss poor kildare

Id never totally write them off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Potential ambush in store if complancency set in.

We saw what happened Galway.

Rochford I'm sure will keep them grounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

We ambushed Cork in 2011, they were 1/5 favourites that day. Roles have reversed, we are 1/6 favourites going into this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭boosabum

Cork are big and mobile around the midfield area.
    Any team that get's enough primary possession will always cause problems especially running at this mayo team, we saw it from Derry & Clare how they punched holes in us.
    Mayo have taken as many bad beatings from cork as they have from any other team so they definitely won't be feeling inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

We ambushed Cork in 2011, they were 1/5 favourites that day. Roles have reversed, we are 1/6 favourites going into this game.

And what a day that was! There were some people saying to me "what the hell are ya going up there for to see them get hammered"

You could be forgiven for forgetting that they were defending champions in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

boosabum wrote: »
    Cork are big and mobile around the midfield area.
    Any team that get's enough primary possession will always cause problems especially running at this mayo team, we saw it from Derry & Clare how they punched holes in us.
    Mayo have taken as many bad beatings from cork as they have from any other team so they definitely won't be feeling inferior.

Short kick outs will null that thread even though parsons and O'Shea are equally as good as any

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement