Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commentary Clowns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Martin Carney not far behind.

The law is that any post that mentions Carney must also contain the phrase "It must be said"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Marty talking about the wind in Cusack Park yesterday, and informing us that he wasn't getting blown in the commentary box

download.jpg?w=840

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Who was the co commentator with Marty today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Finnerty on Sky, every syllable is a cliche.

Who was the co commentator with Marty today ?

Brendan Cummins

• Advertisement

Dalo on the Sunday Game there now, in answer to who was the motm today,... "a lot of fellas stuck up their hands there today, Des"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Another beaut from Ger, thought that Rob Lennon threw the hurl at Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Who's the sqweeky dude helping with the commentary on the Cork-Clare match?
    "Ooh Ah Padraig McGrath"
    He floats like a butterfly. He stings like a bee"
    LOL.

Think it's John Mullane you are referring to. He was co-commentating with Padraig Lodge on the radio today. At some points in the match, he was barely audible with his gasping at Clare's chances! It was hilarious. He wears his heart on his sleeve (literally, from his playing days). I shouldn't enjoy his commentary but I think it is refreshing - and I'm a Tipp fan!
    Hate when he mentions the phrase "going forward" though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Liam Spratt on South East Radio Wexford takes being a clown to another level!

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/top-ten-liam-spratt-quotes-gaa-commentator-73798

Murray Walker isn't a patch on him. Brilliant!
    Who says "It's a 1 point game now", Canning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

John Mullane was shockingly biased on radio one for the Kilkenny Wexford game, I thought that was somewhat disrespectful to Kilkenny. Was not fair on any Kilkenny person who had to listen to a co-commentator on our national broadcast radio take such delight that they were being beaten.

Aside from that, he doesn't add any meaningful insight as a co-commentator anyway. Fabulous hurler and a great character just for the record, I hate criticising him as he really was a special player.

• Advertisement

delaad wrote: »
    Dalo on the Sunday Game there now, in answer to who was the motm today,... "a lot of fellas stuck up their hands there today, Des"

I love Dalo on the telly, he looks like the acid has just kicked in whenever Des throws a question at him

ed51fd0c63a26932e1b958e71f6df861.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

honeybear wrote: »
    Who's the sqweeky dude helping with the commentary on the Cork-Clare match?
    "Ooh Ah Padraig McGrath"
    He floats like a butterfly. He stings like a bee"
    LOL.

Think it's John Mullane you are referring to. He was co-commentating with Padraig Lodge on the radio today. At some points in the match, he was barely audible with his gasping at Clare's chances! It was hilarious. He wears his heart on his sleeve (literally, from his playing days). I shouldn't enjoy his commentary but I think it is refreshing - and I'm a Tipp fan!
    Hate when he mentions the phrase "going forward" though!!!

The Mullane stuff is so false. He is playing the role of "passionate" hurling fan. No body gives that much of a sh1t about teams other than their own. Gives me a headache. I just want to listen to the match. I don't need the John Mullane Show as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

John Mullane makes Tommy sound like David Attenborough in comparison

I like Mullane on co-commentator duty if for no other reason than he has a real passion for the game , although at some point he is going to have to be reminded that he's on national broadcast duty, not out watching a match with the lads after a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Marty was so biased in his commentary yesterday.having a meltdown that Clare didn't stop the short cork puckouts. Surprised he didn't leave the commentary box and go down to the sideline and make the switch himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Motivator wrote: »
    Are you serious? He sounds like a fella fresh off a campsite.

What do you mean?

seachto7 wrote: »
    What do you mean?

I think he's implying that he's a boy scout :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I like Mullane on co-commentator duty if for no other reason than he has a real passion for the game , although at some point he is going to have to be reminded that he's on national broadcast duty, not out watching a match with the lads after a few pints.

Thats exactly why I like Mullane, that he seems to forget he is on radio! Not one of the more insightful analysts but I can't help but be interested in any game he is commentating on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I'm almost certain the woman reporting on Carlow v Leitrim on TSG said 'this point by so & so left the minimum between the teams at HT'. It was 8-6 at HT.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Some guy on Radio 1 now taking about the Kilkenny and Waterford players eating the face off the referee at halftime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

There was a classic on Tipp FM at the weekend during the commentary on the football, the co-commentator was talking about the sweeper system and was interupted by the main commentator who informed us that todays broadcast was being sponsored by the Clonmel Park Hotel and without even a pause the co-commentator continues on with the ill-timed line of ''I wouldn't be a fan of that thing at all, not a nice place to go'' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

danganabu wrote: »
    There was a classic on Tipp FM at the weekend during the commentary on the football, the co-commentator was talking about the sweeper system and was interupted by the main commentator who informed us that todays broadcast was being sponsored by the Clonmel Park Hotel and without even a pause the co-commentator continues on with the ill-timed line of ''I wouldn't be a fan of that thing at all, not a nice place to go'' :D

It's always good craic to tune into the various local radio stations around the country to sample the coverage. Some of the coverage can be a bit haphazard - but you usually can get a real sense of the passion of the lads behind the mics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    It's always good craic to tune into the various local radio stations around the country to sample the coverage. Some of the coverage can be a bit haphazard - but you usually can get a real sense of the passion of the lads behind the mics.

Local commentary is the best. I'd prefer that unashamedly biased commentary to what we get on the national coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

seachto7 wrote: »
    What do you mean?

I think the poster could be referring to Tommy's ferocious thick accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

danganabu wrote: »

Classic. :D

GAA commentary on Tipp FM is always comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Local commentary is the best. I'd prefer that unashamedly biased commentary to what we get on the national coverage.

It's even better when the lads try to be objective but just can't because they care so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Liam Spratt on South East Radio Wexford takes being a clown to another level!

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/top-ten-liam-spratt-quotes-gaa-commentator-73798

Its worth tuning the dial when wexford are playing to listen to him :rolleyes:
    Was it Larry Murphy (the hurler, not the sex offender, just in case anyone asks) co-commentating one evening a couple of years ago, i think it was a u21 match that Wexford won with a late goal vs Kilkenny, and Larry was heading on the holiers and stated that he was "going off to tan his arse" classic local radio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Spillane getting biblical at half time in Galway v Roscommon was extremely cringe worthy. The thing is that it wasn't actually too bad a game and Roscommon were playing some great stuff.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but Ger Canning saying that a player is 'trying to find a bit of latitude' always makes me cringe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Boom__Boom wrote:
    It's even better when the lads try to be objective but just can't because they care so much.

TBH there's no harm in it from the local county stations, it's expected

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The WLRfm commentary at the weekend for the waterford vs killkenny was brilliant. Half through the second half when Waterford couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat, the main commentator asked for a pint of harp.

They were using knicknames for players which unless you're from the county is difficult to get who they mean.

Also when waterford won the main commentator started on about how many presidents and Taoiseachs we've had since 1959 and also pointed out there have been two currency changes in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

delaad wrote: »
    Finnerty on Sky, every syllable is a cliche.

You are not allowed to criticise sky on any of these threads, their coverage is so futuristic, super, fantasmagoric, and waaaaaay ahead of RTE, don't you know.

Advertisement