Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

All right.. got a second round job interview on Monday! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Got a job I'll quite like as opposed to the God forsaken soul destroying hell hole I'm currently in! :D
    I've been getting serious with my driving again also so hoping to get my full licence early in the new year and with the new job I might actually be able to afford to get my car on the road!

I feel like for the first time in a long time things are actually creating a path for me and that I'm not as muddled up feeling like I'm living each day for the sake of it. Meaning is coming into my life now and it's giving glimpses of control and more importantly hope and TBH it's such a lovely feeling <3

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I love my new job. LOVE IT.

pajor wrote: »
    All right.. got a second round job interview on Monday! :D

I got hired on Tuesday. :D

Will start after a few days in Ireland, in November.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Guys...GUESS WHO GOT THEIR DEGREE AT LAST! Gimme that sweet 2.2!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Congrats! Pretty sure my degree was a 2.2 as well. Getting it finished is a great feeling, whatever grade ends up on the parchment. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

W00t! 2.2 recipient here too! Bit like the Leaving really, six months down the line the grade doesn't really matter. Matters if you want to go straight into a Masters, but even then you can get through on interview.

Speaking of Masters, after a year out of college, I'm potentially going back in September to get a lovely MA to go with my BSc... So, yay?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nunu123

Anyone know if i will get accepted in a masters programme in DIT if I have two repeats from my final year undergraduate course? After the repeats I'll get a 2.1 and thats my requirement.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

nunu123 wrote: »
    Anyone know if i will get accepted in a masters programme in DIT if I have two repeats from my final year undergraduate course? After the repeats I'll get a 2.1 and thats my requirement.

Can't say for definite, but you should be offered a Conditional Acceptance similar to if you apply before your final results are out. I'd say fire an email to or ring the admissions office, can't hurt to ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nunu123

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Can't say for definite, but you should be offered a Conditional Acceptance similar to if you apply before your final results are out. I'd say fire an email to or ring the admissions office, can't hurt to ask. :)

Yeah I got the conditional offer before I got my results. And they had my semester one exam results from which I failed two. I don't know why they offered it to me in the first place when they knew I had repeats

• Advertisement

nunu123 wrote: »
    Yeah I got the conditional offer before I got my results. And they had my semester one exam results from which I failed two. I don't know why they offered it to me in the first place when they knew I had repeats

Have they said they're retracting the offer because of the repeats? Because if not, they're likely just working on the assumption that you'll clear those. If you do, you'll be able to take the place, if not, you won't. Don't see why they wouldn't offer you the place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Hello C&H. It's been a hell of a long time.

My yeaaahhhhhh - I teach English in Thailand now which I feel is pretty awesome :)

Hope all y'all are out there achieving your dreams and being awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

My yeaaahhhhhh - I teach English in Thailand now which I feel is pretty awesome :)

What is it like to live over in Thailand?

Woop woop! How's Thailand working out for you?

On Sunday, my GF and I are getting in the car and driving to England. We're going to stay with my sister for a week and a half. Haven't seen her since Christmas 2015, super excited about seeing her! :)

marko93 wrote: »

What is it like to live over in Thailand?

Woop woop! How's Thailand working out for you?

The new Boards layout confuses and scares me, not sure if I quoted these correctly but oh well.

Living in Thailand is awesome. There is a lot, and I mean a LOT of things wrong with this country, but overall it's a really good time. I have a decent job, decent money, amazing weather, the people are often really really nice. It is very different to going on holiday here though. I don't have the time or money to travel around and see amazing sights or do much backpacking type stuff. But that's ok, I'm here for a year not for a holiday so it's to be expected that it isn't really the same as a holiday.

I live in Pattaya which is a very touristy area so it isn't very "authentic" I guess you could say, that would be my only complaint!

Been here for 6 months and here for another 6. Have to decide what I want to do with the rest of my life in the mean time :(

I have no idea what I did up there ^, and I don't know how to fix it. Forgive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I have no idea what I did up there ^, and I don't know how to fix it. Forgive me.

Sure it makes sense, nothing to fix!

How did you get the role? Or what made you think "yeah, I'll go teach in Thailand?" :)

marko93 wrote: »

Sure it makes sense, nothing to fix!

How did you get the role? Or what made you think "yeah, I'll go teach in Thailand?" :)
    That's weird, the quotes were all screwed up when I posted it but it seems to have fixed itself!
    So I pretty much worked in a bar at home to save money, did a TEFL course online, got a one way ticket to Thailand, got a holiday visa, flew over and then started applying for jobs. Got an interview immediately and got the job! It's super easy to get a job teaching if you are from a native English speaking country and have a degree. Now I have a 1 year visa which I can extend if I stay working.
    Basically, I finished my masters and didn't want to do my FE1s (law exams) right away. I wanted to take a year out doing something different and I wanted to move to somewhere very different from Galway. My friend was on about moving to Thailand to teach so I kind of jumped on board and we just did it.
    If you, or anyone, was considering doing something similar feel free to ask me for help/advice/whatever! It's very easy to do once you just go and do it!

I always wanted to go do a year abroad...but now I'm in a well paid job (with a pension! and health insurance!), so I can't really bring myself to quit and do it?

• Advertisement

It does indeed Hugsie if you are looking for that sort of thing lol

God damn, a pension and health insurance?! That sounds super legit well done :O Did you go into law or elsewhere?

I mean if you like your job you should stay. But if you really want to do a year abroad the longer you leave it the harder it will be to quit your job further down the line! It's a tough decision though for sure. That was a big reason why I did it straight after finishing university!

I got a 45 minute lunch break today! It's awful that that's such a big deal for me, but it's great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Got a new poem published. Twice! :D

My soccer team finished the league with 39 points, level with our closest rivals. Both clubs will be promoted to the next dividion.

But! We played each other twice in the league during the season. The first game finished 1-1. The second game finished 3-3.

We played again in the Cup semi-final and my club won 2-0, but that was a ridiculously tight game.

There was nothing between the teams, so a play-off was required to decide who would be League Champions.

Tonight we had the play-off. My team was leading 2-0 at one stage. With 5 minutes to go we were down to 10 men and losing 2-3. Just on the verge of injury-time, we scored directly from a corner to make it 3-3. Ultimately, this epic rivalry would have to be decided on penalties.

Both teams scored the first penalties, making it 1-1. I saved the next one, but then we hit the crossbar with our second. Still 1-1. Then I saved another. We scored. Then I saved another. Three penalties saved in a row. We scored our fourth to win 3-1 on penalties.

I've never won a league before. It still hasn't really sunk in that a) we did it, and b) I was an essential part of that. It really is a tremendous feeling.

Posted in the Aaaaaaarrrrggghh thread earlier that I was nervous about a poetry reading. In the end, it all went very well. I didn't screw up, and now people on the other side of the Atlantic have heard of me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Posted in the Aaaaaaarrrrggghh thread earlier that I was nervous about a poetry reading. In the end, it all went very well. I didn't screw up, and now people on the other side of the Atlantic have heard of me. :)

Saw that other post about 10 minutes ago and thought it was too late to wish you good luck, but congratulations on it going well! :)

Saw that other post about 10 minutes ago and thought it was too late to wish you good luck, but congratulations on it going well! :)

Thanks! I've been feeling weird about writing ever since the start of the new social restrictions (because I basically only ever make myself write properly in the library :pac: ) so tonight was a nice reminder that I am fairly good at it. :)

I'm kind of feeling good today? I'm ok in work, I'm getting through days. These are nice things to see.

I passed all my FE1s and am starting Blackhall next week, feels good :)

• Advertisement

Well folks, it's official! I'm too grown-up for this forum now. It looks like I'm gonna be a daddy. :)

Advertisement