Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Past UV index data? Like from a few weeks ago.

• 06-07-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I got seriously burned on Saturday 17th June and was just wondering what the UV index was on that day in Cork City. Not able to find any past data online, not even from yesterday.

I'm asking because I've only gotten that burned in the Mediterranean so I'm curious to see what the UV index was. It was a scorcher of a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I got seriously burned on Saturday 17th June and was just wondering what the UV index was on that day in Cork City. Not able to find any past data online, not even from yesterday.

I'm asking because I've only gotten that burned in the Mediterranean so I'm curious to see what the UV index was. It was a scorcher of a day.
    No hard data, but if it helps: I always have a look at the UV index on hot days on the weather app on my phone - and the highest I've seen for Dublin this year is 6.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well it was a grand sunny day for most with long hours of sunshine on the 17th . Met a couple of people that got roasted that weekend , one needing medical treatment! . Got up to 22C here near Tralee that day and the UV reading on my station got up to 7.5 making it High, 8 is Very High ( up to 7.3 the following day and warmer at 23.8C). Looking back at my records for the 17th shows the Solar Radiation reading maxing at 865 W/m² indicating a thin veil of cirrostratus here which can often catch people out making them think the sun is not as strong as it could be. To make a comparison today's cloudy overcast day had a max UV reading of 3.7 which comes out as moderate, recommended to still use skin protection.

NASSA Sat Pic of the 17-6-17

gG1x2Qw.jpg?1

Interesting short piece here: On Cloudy Days, Are UV Rays Stronger?

http://zidbits.com/2011/04/on-cloudy-days-are-uv-rays-stronger/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Well it was a grand sunny day for most with long hours of sunshine on the 17th . Met a couple of people that got roasted that weekend , one needing medical treatment! [/url]

Interesting. What made that person go to hospital? I was considering it myself. That evening at about 9pm I was in the late pharmacy asking about aftersun and I was feeling light headed. When I was paying for the cream I was thinking to myself I need to get out of this place quick before I collapse.

Once I got back on my bike I felt a bit better due to the cool breeze.

Lesson learned by the way. I'm fairly dark skinned for an Irish person and don't burn easily which is why I was a bit reckless that day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What made that person go to hospital?

No just Doctor I think and had to take anti-inflammatory's and creams for severe blistering.

Worse burning I ever got was being caught out in Australia on a windy cloudy day on the beach, trying to sleep at night with no air conditioning under a tin roof !
    Got a nasty burn also on my legs on a 3 hr car journey from the sun coming through the windscreen. You live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Interesting short piece here: On Cloudy Days, Are UV Rays Stronger?

http://zidbits.com/2011/04/on-cloudy-days-are-uv-rays-stronger/

Not sure if it means anything but there were strong displays of Noctilucent clouds at that time.

So maybe some sort of magnifying effect?

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=17&month=06&year=2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Just looking at the UV index for Cork today: http://www.meteovista.co.uk/Europe/Ireland/Sunpower-Cork/4416435

Another absolute scorcher of a day, but it says the UV Index is 2? How is it so low? The sun is splitting the rocks here.

ChM8h02.jpg

Another absolute scorcher of a day, but it says the UV Index is 2? How is it so low? The sun is splitting the rocks here.

Well that was clearly wrong for Cork today, Met Eireann had moderate to High in the sun, I was in Cork myself today out on Spike Island and was grabbing the shade every chance I got, plenty of red heads on the boat on the way back to Cobh:D.

I see Cork Airport got up to 22.9C according to Meteociel.

UV got up to 7.4 on the Index here near Tralee.

Pic : Spike Island looking over to Cobh at 12.00 approx

Wp5pPo2.jpg?1

Spike Island is a great place to visit by the way.

Nassa Sat Pic of Ireland today around mid day. Plenty of high cloud but good amounts of sunlight getting through in the S and SW

JDsjuhI.jpg?1

Advertisement