Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric gates repair recommendation

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Like I said I'm happy to be corrected. My info was based solely on a radio ad. I was assuming it was like restricted works for REC or gas work for RGI

Fair enough.
    I'm basing my opinion on the PSA's definition of access control. My personal view is that interested parties try to regulate as much work as they can when they see an opportunity. Work that was traditionally done my electricians such as intruder alarms has since been regulated. This revenue stream has now been cut off to any that are not PSA. Was this in the public interest? Maybe, maybe not. Was it in the alarm installers interest? Definitely.

I think we will see more of this in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

2011 wrote: »
    No matter how people try to spin it automated gate systems and their associated safety interlocks are not that complicated.

We are following the UK who after a few deaths from gates have introduced regulations. There is a lot more to modern gate operators which not only use photo cells and safety edges but also require the programming and setting of encoders. An installer needs manufacturer training and the gate needs to be force tested with the measurements recorded when it's installed.

The PSA has started a consultation process for the possible revision of their standards regarding access control

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/Pages/NS17000011

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We are following the UK who after a few deaths from gates have introduced regulations. There is a lot more to modern gate operators which not only use photo cells and safety edges but also require the programming and setting of encoders. An installer needs manufacturer training and the gate needs to be force tested with the measurements recorded when it's installed.

The PSA has started a consultation process for the possible revision of their standards regarding access control

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/Pages/NS17000011

Soft interlocks and hard interlocks, sounds good.

Interestingly the consultation paper is titled "Requirements for Access Control Contractors in the Private Security Industry"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

If that's the going rate for access control call outs... I have to re-consider my career or the boom is back big time.

I used to think the verdor lads had it made, commission a valve/weigh scales so on... One fella was over €1400 a day + expenses.

No offence intended to anyone and with all due respect, I'd rater be horse whipped than pay that out, utter extortion.

It's been a while as far as I can remember a poly/poly and a power supply on a common domestic set-up? Setting up/programming fancy heating circuit is just as, if not more complicated and can be very dangerous also!

If you can get that off a person fair play, I'm just really jealous I guess ☺.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

HI,
    In the end (snip) did 3 hours maintenance on the gates for a reasonable price.
    They did a very good job.

• Advertisement

mikekerry wrote: »
    HI,
    In the end (snip) did 3 hours maintenance on the gates for a reasonable price.
    They did a very good job.

So less than €150 per hour + call out charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

it worked out a lot less than 150 p/h.
    It was a standard one fee maintenance charge so they didn't charge by the hour.
    If it was 150 p/h it just wouldn't be worth the cost of keeping them if they needed repairs every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Any recommendations available for electric gate repairs DM me

meath

😎

Advertisement