Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

25th Anniversary of 'ZV' Plates! Happy, Not Happy, Indifferent?

• 18-06-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭

Seeing as nobody has mentioned it... 2017 marks the '25th Anniversary' of 'ZV' Plates - having been first introduced in 1992.

So, are you happy/not happy/indifferent having the option of 'ZV' plates?

PROS:
    - Allows owners an alternative to 'Year' Plates
    - Are in keeping with 'Old Style' (pre-1987) Plates (less so since going to 7-digits)

CONS:
    - Numbers were not allocated in a thought-out manner, i.e. low numbers could have been reserved for older vehicles (e.g. pre-1930 vehicle), four-digits for 'newer' (1930-on) vehicles, 'ZVA', 'ZVB', 'ZVC', etc etc etc (to 1970-on) vehicles
    - No variety in the ZV system - each vehicle gets a standard 'ZV' (+Numbers) plate
    - In the forseeable future the system is set up to go to 8-digits i.e. 'ZV 100000'+

I'm sure they are more pros and cons which arent coming to mind at the moment.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just wondering was there lobbying from classic enthusiasts for the introduction of different plates at that time?

And how were imported classics 'plated' from 1987 to 1992?

As far as I can recall before 1987, imports were simply added to the current index series for the relevant county regardless of their age. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thats a good point. I do recall reading that the breaking of ZV plates - for different era's - was requested, but the powers-that-be didnt go down that route 'for the sake of simplicity'.

From my understanding, the IVVCC lobbied the government (from 1987-1992) for the introduction of a 'vintage plates'. Many of it's members disliked 'Year' plates on their 1920's/1930's/1940's vehicles.

I recall reading that, at the introduction of the new plates in 1987, the govt stated that 'no more plates would be issued from the old system'. The IVVCC considered it a major triumph when the govt finally allowed the issuance of 'Vintage' plates from 1992.

(Owners of vehicles already registered with 'year' plates between 1987-1992 could apply for ZV plates for their vehicles, if desired).

You are correct about pre-87 imports, they were given the next available plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Silvera wrote: »

You are correct about pre-87 imports, they were given the next available plate.

But we still managed to screw that up eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

While they started out very well, the current series is a bit of a pigs ear with the five numbers. They could have done better as there is a few complete unused series' that could have been used to carry on with historically correct four numbers if the powers that be could have been bothered with the paperwork.
    As for the import year plates now, horrendous, with the worst ones in Dublin.

So, are we in a better place today?
    Hardly.

...As for the import year plates now, horrendous, with the worst ones in Dublin.....
    120,000 on a ZV - tacky in the extreme! :(

• Advertisement

ZV's havent gone 8 digits (yet!).

It's 'Year' plates which are in the 120,000 range. Like the 1914 Model T I spotted today at Terenure Show - '14 D 120001'!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Does anybody know what county is issuing the lowest ZV numbers at the moment , or are they all five figures ???

Does anybody know what county is issuing the lowest ZV numbers at the moment , or are they all five figures ???

All ZV's are now in the 5-figure (well, 7-digit) range - 'ZV nnnnn'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It's 'Year' plates which are in the 120,000 range. Like the 1914 Model T I spotted today at Terenure Show - '14 D 120001'!:rolleyes:

That's why they brought in 141... We'd never tell the difference between a 1914 car and a 2014 car...

Doh! Of course - blonde moment! Apologies. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement