Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Ireland prepared for Brexit?

Options
  • 30-06-2017 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭

laugh wrote: »
    Banks relocating here: Guardian

Someone better get the finger out and build some homes.
    We are headed for disaster and are squandering a once in a century opportunity, its absolutely mind-boggling how incompetent and corrupt our leaders are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Thargor wrote: »
    We are headed for disaster and are squandering a once in a century opportunity, its absolutely mind-boggling how incompetent and corrupt our leaders are.

Do clarify and be specific. What exactly do expect the government to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Do clarify and be specific. What exactly do expect the government to do?

Leos talking about reducing taxes at the next budget. To me this is the old FF way of thinking. We need huge investments in infrastructure and housing. Not tax breaks. Investment will create jobs and make us more attractive for companies considering us because of Brexit.
    Tax breaks will buy votes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Leos talking about reducing taxes at the next budget. To me this is the old FF way of thinking. We need huge investments in infrastructure and housing. Not tax breaks. Investment will create jobs and make us more attractive for companies considering us because of Brexit.

But there is also a body of thought out there that suggest a tax reduction would put more money in the taxpayers pockets and thus stimulate the economy through increased consumer demand...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jim2007 wrote: »
    But there is also a body of thought out there that suggest a tax reduction would put more money in the taxpayers pockets and thus stimulate the economy through increased consumer demand...
    Which has two problems; first of all it assumes people will actually spend the money and in many cases they will save / pay down loans instead due to uncertain future and secondly it does nothing to prepare the economy for the downturn by having people spend money now. You also have examples such as the Bush junior "trickle down economy" theory of tax cuts for the rich (whom have the most to spend) to kickstart the economy which completely failed. Now don't get me wrong; I'm all for a minimal state with minimal taxes but it's not a good reason not to prepare for the downturn that is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Agree wholeheartedly. We have to strike while the iron is hot here and boldly press ahead in a very public way with DART underground and Metro North (original plan which still has a valid railway order and could go out to tender on Monday) as well as designating Docklands and Heuston Gate as high rise districts of the city with minimum not maximum heights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

murphaph wrote: »
    Agree wholeheartedly. We have to strike while the iron is hot here and boldly press ahead in a very public way....

By building tens of thousands of good quality homes for sale, shared ownership, and long term rent. Then they can look at vanity projects.

By building tens of thousands of good quality homes for sale, shared ownership, and long term rent. Then they can look at vanity projects.

What projects do you consider vanity? If you're referring to DU and MN these projects are essential projects for so many reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Vanity projects? That's why other cities build quality public transport too is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

murphaph wrote: »
    Vanity projects? That's why other cities build quality public transport too is it?

Enough homes to house all the people has to be the priority. Make the transport infrastructure we already have work cohesively and efficiently first before building more.

Enough homes to house all the people has to be the priority. Make the transport infrastructure we already have work cohesively and efficiently first before building more.

The transport infrastructure we already have is broken beyond repair. Put simply there isn't enough capacity on either the roads or rails.

Homes need to be livable there is no point building 40,000 homes if they are so far away or the congestion is so bad people can't get to and from work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: I have moved some of the posts from the Brexit thread to a new thread as per a user request as I think it is an important subject and merits a new thread.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

If we had 30 spare 50 storey office blocks and 20,000 spare apartments or houses in the €250k-€500k range, then maybe we could get a bigger slice of the upcoming opportunities than we already may (or are likely to) acquire.

Other than that, given the lessons from the bubble/crash, I think such provision will take a lot longer than 2 years (or in reality maybe 6 months from now for contingency planning).

Even Frankfurt hasn’t that much spare capacity at the moment.

So, I think we can get more business but it will likely happen in a longer, more do-able time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

If we had 30 spare 50 storey office blocks and 20,000 spare apartments or houses in the €250k-€500k range, then maybe we could get a bigger slice of the upcoming opportunities than we already may (or are likely to) acquire.

Other than that, given the lessons from the bubble/crash, I think such provision will take a lot longer than 2 years (or in reality maybe 6 months from now for contingency planning).

Even Frankfurt hasn’t that much spare capacity at the moment.

So, I think we can get more business but it will likely happen in a longer, more do-able time frame.

All true, especially your 2 year point. How long have we been talking / planning Metro North?

We're reaching capacity now in Dublin (or seem to be), Brexit or no Brexit. Tax cuts are populist and will make a few people happy. Improving infrastructure increases quality of life (quicker commutes, better healthcare, places to actually live, better education etc.) but probably not during the lifetime of one government so we don't seem to do it well in Ireland. And a few years after a crash that nearly destroyed us we're going back to populist policies.

If a company is moving to Ireland, they don't just look at the infrastructure now. They'll have a section to analyse the future capacity. If you're moving 500 jobs you might be planning 1000 over 10 years so while our infrastructure might be creaking now you might make allowances if there's a plan. We don't have a plan.

I worked with one company last year that was considering Ireland vs Germany to decide which office was to take up the slack from the UK after Brexit. They've a presence in Ireland & Germany now.
    Germany won. There were various reasons but capability to handle their expansion plans was one. It's obviously not the only criteria.
    I'm not suggesting that capacity be increased just for Brexit. I live and work in Dublin. I can see the way it's going. We need somebody with a plan a bit smarter than "cut income tax".

It's not just the March 2019 deadline that we should be looking at either. New companies open up in Europe all of the time. They'll continue to do so after Brexit, just now the UK has made itself a lot less attractive so where Ireland might have been second in line for some companies it might be number one in the future.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We need somebody with a plan a bit smarter than "cut income tax".

Sure, but first we need an electorate willing to vote for something smarter than that. If we want better politicians, we're going to need better voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The economy is booming, we don't need the government to inflate things further.

It will be much cheaper to build all the stuff ye want like Metros, motorways and houses in the next recession, when we really will need government spending to goose the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

. We need somebody with a plan a bit smarter than "cut income tax".

We have one

http://npf.ie/

Advertisement