Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No but he doesn't deserve to rot to death, he made a mistake. We call it abuse but it's perfectly legal in France and very close to it an hour from Dublin. I think calling it child abuse is a bit of a stretch, I didn't read anywhere she was forced. American Beauty springs to mind. I think he was a bored idiot. Maybe there's more that I missed.
    As you said we don't have the detail. Probably will never have.

There's loads of assumptions being throw out like your assumption she was plyed with drink and took the D (why are ye making up such stuff it's not based on any fact).

It's quite possible he might not have been leading the dance. The photos were found and the whole **** house exploded.

Someone mentioned the President of France earlier, Elvis also deserves a special mention as he fell in love with someone at the younger of the girls mooted age.

He's not a pedo or a child abuser, he got in a mess with a young lady not of legal age. I don't buy all 15yr olds are dumb regardless of the poster who say they were dumb at 15.

The asssumptions are vile to be honest. It's not healthy to be running those scenarios around your head based on nothing only your own thoughts.
    I'm just making an assumption like everyone else here but I don't think he was that sort of person, a serial child abuser, maybe he was but I'm just not getting that from what i've read, to me it looks like an affair with his daughters friend.
    Sure the GAA need to ask who he coached but I presume that was done years ago and we've heard nothing.

drunkmonkey permabanned from AH for trivialising and normalising child abuse. Anyone doing the same may find themselves in a similar position. Ta.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

when you do it once it might be considered a lapse in judgement, silly old man,
    when you do it twice it might be considered a bit of a habit, dirty old man.
    when you do it a third time, there's no doubt. ........ old man

he did at least three times with three different girls at club and county. he knew what he was doing.
    i know, i was there when the news broke, you could have picked me up off the floor. i had a long and difficult conversation with my daughter, having been coached at county level since she was 12 till she was 15 by him. i shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't been 100% there for her. She never liked him anyway, and always thought there was something off with him. she knew, at an instinctive basic level, she knew. i threw up that night and didn't sleep at all, hoping she was telling me the truth and that she wasn't the one that it happened to.

He was the hero, he was a maverick how he coached, how he thought, how he challenged the system of teamship and he got results. He was a God to most of those girls, they hero worshipped him. I know, i was there. what he said was the LAST WORD. they'd do anything to please him. hmm

This is not a case of someone making a mistake, he went out of his way to get what he wanted. These groomers are not hanging around the club, trying to peak up the skirts and coping a feel during the team talk, arms sneaking to places during the huddle.
    cop yourselves on, he targeted young girls and did what he wanted to them.
    you don't see these people coming. wasn't he clever enough to get Roy Keane's side of the story before anyway else? says something about his tenacity

Is there any corroborative evidence for any of this, over and above the offences for which he has been convicted? And by his own admission?

I hope no Mod thinks I am "trivialising child abuse" by asking this. If there is reliable evidence for what is mentioned in the above post then it's monstrous. If there isn't, then the above post is despicable. Just because somebody is proven guilty of one crime doesn't mean you can falsely claim they committed many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

16,000 text messages

His sentencing cant come quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

16,000 text messages that started when this girl was only 11.

I read that today. And it was 16k in 3 months wasn't it. It's horrific but honestly I can't believe anyone could send that many messages for any reason. The number is stupidly large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

No mention in the papers of how he was coaching the girls he molested.

We have learned nothing of child protection if there are no official questions on how the GAA could have prevented this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

jesus that's insane, the poor girl.
    Scum of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Red_Wake wrote: »

We have learned nothing of child protection if there are no official questions on how the GAA could have prevented this

Stupid statement. You clearly no nothing about how the GAA strives to protect its young people. Educate yourself.

We have learned nothing of child protection if there are no official questions on how the GAA could have prevented this.

The GAA take may steps to prevent this type of thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    As I said, educate yourself. You made the original statement. Not up to me to educate the ignorant.

Maybe not, but as a fellow person ignorant in what relatively arcane rules the GAA might have specifically for the protection of young people in the organisation, could you help me out?

I plain and simple do not know, since I am not involved in GAA and these rules obviously enough would not penetrate my day to day life.

Samaris wrote: »
    Maybe not, but as a fellow person ignorant in what relatively arcane rules the GAA might have specifically for the protection of young people in the organisation, could you help me out?

I plain and simple do not know, since I am not involved in GAA and these rules obviously enough would not penetrate my day to day life.

You admittedly are ignorant of the rules, but are happy to dismiss these same rules, which you know nothing of, as "arcane"... good man.

• Advertisement

If the family decide they dont want a prosecution then the state cannot bring a prosecution. hence the nolle prosequoi.
    That is simply not true. At all.

A victim is a witness in a criminal trial. They have no role in deciding whether a prosecution should be brought.

The DPP (or alternatively, the Attorney General) has complete prosecutorial independence.

It may or may not be a question of practicality to decide not to prosecute, when any witness is unhappy to give evidence, but it isn't any witness's choice. It makes no difference whether the witness is the alleged victim or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

She was 14.

He deserves everything that is thrown at him.

You admittedly are ignorant of the rules, but are happy to dismiss these same rules, which you know nothing of, as "arcane"... good man.

...No, I am saying that it is arcane knowledge unless you happen to be involved in the GAA. (Hell, I doubt many people who know the GAA in terms of understanding its set-up and understanding the rules of the various games would know something as specific as the guidelines for protecting children in the clubs. It's just not something that one absorbs without specific reason.)

This is not an insult. It is saying that many people who are not involved in GAA (and at a fairly organise-y level at that) would probably not know these rules because they are not something one comes across in day to day life unless one is involved in the GAA. Which I am not.

It was actually a straight-forward and honest question that really did not warrant either a huff or a snark.

I am still interested - is there anyone in this thread that actually might explain them to someone who doesn't know the inner workings of the GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Just to address the earlier posts that the girl was 11, it says in today's article that she was 16 when they first engaged in sexual contact. Not excusing him for abusing a position of trust or power but he was not a paedophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Facts are she was 14 when the texts started, 16 when the sexual contaxct happened please be accurate here.

I got 11 because it said the test started 3 years previous to when the assault took place . I thought she was 14 when it occured but presume i was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

farmchoice wrote: »
    A lot of aspirational stuff in there, rather than anything about standard processes for child safety. Nothing about child supervision standards[eg. not being allowed alone with children, etc].

RTE notes that the victim reckons he got her phone number via the club. Not conclusive, but notable that didn't give it to him, and presumably she made an attempt to figure out how he got it, and came to this conclusion.

Of course, the GAA's reputation is more important than child safety in the eyes of some here. The spiritual successors of those who enabled the church's sins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I have coached GAA underage teams and have been Garda vetted twice in 5 years. Attended 2 child protection training meetings, there is a protocol for every club and a child protection officer too.

What more can they do? The amount of parents involved in the GAA has always been a major boon for the GAA , unlike say swimming where coaching is specific and salaried anyone can help out in GAA coaching, running drills collecting sliotars etc. They also keep an eye on their kids.

Not saying t doesn't happen but for an organization that has 50,000 children every week training it has a good record in child protection.

• Advertisement

A lot of aspirational stuff in there, rather than anything about standard processes for child safety. Nothing about child supervision standards[eg. not being allowed alone with children, etc].

RTE notes that the victim reckons he got her phone number via the club. Not conclusive, but notable that didn't give it to him, and presumably she made an attempt to figure out how he got it, and came to this conclusion.

Of course, the GAA's reputation is more important than child safety in the eyes of some here. The spiritual successors of those who enabled the church's sins.

Ah here . Take your GAA agenda somwhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

buck65 wrote: »
    I have coached GAA underage teams and have been Garda vetted twice in 5 years. Attended 2 child protection training meetings, there is a protocol for every club and a child protection officer too.

What more can they do? The amount of parents involved in the GAA has always been a major boon for the GAA , unlike say swimming where coaching is specific and salaried anyone can help out in GAA coaching, running drills collecting sliotars etc. They also keep an eye on their kids.

Not saying t doesn't happen but for an organization that has 50,000 children every week training it has a good record in child protection.

Woeful post.

Was it not obvious he would have the number from using a older phone of a family member?

Okay, I rather see why my question was contentious - this was actually innocent on my part.

But if there are allegations or insinuations about the GAA as a whole, they should be well backed-up. The Church was one kettle of fish and that there was a large number of people in sensitive positions involved was devastating for the reputation of the organisation, same for the BBC regarding Saville (deservedly in those cases, but down to actual information of involvement). Anyone indicating mischief on the part of the GAA would want to have good reason for it and sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The former Irish Times sportwriter pleaded guilty to grooming a young child who was a friend of his daughters. He had naked pics of the child on his phone who found it and showed it to her mother who called the Gardai.

Its hard to believe his initial arrest (and the media blackout of naming him) has been ongoing since 2011. But here we are 6 years later and he has admitted his guilt. Sentencing to take place next month.

A great writer in his day but heres hoping he gets locked up for a long time for what he did to that poor girl.

He was an ignorant writer who demeaned other sports, particularly rugby. Thereby offended the people who gave their time and energies for the development of the sport and for others (and their) enjoyment. He hasn’t been missed.

karlitob wrote:
    He was an ignorant writer who demeaned other sports, particularly rugby. Thereby offended the people who gave their time and energies for the development of the sport and for others (and their) enjoyment. He hasn’t been missed.

Jesus, seriously. That's what you take away from all this?? He didn't like rugby??

What he did was heinous... who gives a f*ck about the egg chasers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

[QUOTE=Red_Wake;104861985]A lot of aspirational stuff in there, rather than anything about standard processes for child safety. Nothing about child supervision standards[eg. not being allowed alone with children, etc].

Of course, the GAA's reputation is more important than child safety in the eyes of some here. The spiritual successors of those who enabled the church's sins.[/QUOTE]

its extremely comprehensive and details every aspect of child protection. it took me less then 2 minutes to find a direct answer to the charge you leveled.
    ''Be accompanied by
    at least one other adult at coaching sessions, games and in underage team dressing rooms''

underage code of conduct page 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

Jesus, seriously. That's what you take away from all this?? He didn't like rugby??

What he did was heinous... who gives a f*ck about the egg chasers?!

The OP gave an opinion on his writing. I gave mine. Thanks for proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

If the family decide they dont want a prosecution then the state cannot bring a prosecution. hence the nolle prosequoi.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That is simply not true. At all.

A victim is a witness in a criminal trial. They have no role in deciding whether a prosecution should be brought.

The DPP (or alternatively, the Attorney General) has complete prosecutorial independence.

It may or may not be a question of practicality to decide not to prosecute, when any witness is unhappy to give evidence, but it isn't any witness's choice. It makes no difference whether the witness is the alleged victim or not.

all very fine words as usual but they amount to a hill of **** when there is no evidence to present because the victim doesnt want to continue. which was my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: I've deleted some posts naming a person found to be not guilty in a separate case. Be careful of what you post here lads

Advertisement