Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled over for something I didn't do

• 29-06-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there
    I'm posting here to get some feedback and advice on what to do in my situation
    Last Friday evening I was driving on a main road, slowed down, stopped and went to turn right. Looked before I turned, saw a black Passat car well in the distance so I turned right. A few mins later after I'd pulled into a business there, a Garda on a bike pulled up beside me and told me to park the car.
    While he was getting off the bike I'd no idea what he was going to say to me. All different thoughts when through my head - light broken, speeding without realising it, tax out of date. But I knew they were all ok, just racking my brains!
    The first thing he said to me was, "you've no idea why I've stopped you". I was looking at him blankly. He said the same thing and also "you didn't see me back there did you?" To which I replied no and was still baffled. He asked for my licence and checked reg, insurance and tax. And then went on to say that I pulled straight across in front of him on the main road when I was turning right.
    I couldn't believe it to be honest. And I said "I'm sorry but I really didn't see you". Being a trusting person of the guards I assumed he wasn't lying to me and told him that if he saw me he saw me but I've no idea what he's talking about. I've never been stopped by guards before and I've never had any dealings with them. I didn't really know what to say.
    Anyway he kept repeating how I didn't see him. He told me I seemed like a very nice person but what I did was unbelievable. He gave me 3 penalty points and €80 fine for not driving with due care.
    I wouldn't be any good arguing with a guard as I've said so I just accepted what he was saying as true. And left quite baffled. I looked ahead before turning, didn't see anything only the Passat in the distance. And I've absolutely no idea where he came from and never will. I can't understand how he could think I would turn in front of a Garda bike!

Later on and since then I've told family members and they are as baffled as me. And have told me I should go to court and state my case. But it's his word against mine. But I'll never be able to understand what happened back there. Unless I'm really losing my mind!

Would it be worth going to court? All advice and opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I've no legal advice but if you were in the car park a few minutes, could it have been another similar car that turned in front of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Would it be worth going to court?

No. Definitely not worth going to court.

I suspect that you saw the Passat in the background and subconsciously fixated on that and missed the bike in the foreground.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just because you didn't see him doesn't mean he wasn't there. It's unfortunately a very common occurrence that bikers aren't spotted by right-turning cars due to a number of factors but mostly because of their profile.

Tbh, and I'm no huge fan of traffic cops, I believe the Garda in your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

No. Definitely not worth going to court.

I suspect that you saw the Passat in the background and subconsciously fixated on that and missed the bike in the foreground.

Was it a motor bike or a pushbike?

If you'd said you saw him and thought you had pulled across safely then maybe there could be some doubt. But you've admitted you didn't see him at all so I tend to believe the garda..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,010 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're confirming what he said. You didn't see him.

This doesn't mean he wasn't there. It's not uncommon for motorists simply not to see a motorcycle or a bicycle when there's a car behind it, even some distance behind it. The car is what they expect to see; the car has an altogether bigger profile and is usually better lit and moving faster; the car is what registers.

You can go to court if you like, but from what you say his evidence is likely to be accepted. He has no reason to make the whole thing up, and he has no animus against you personally. If another car had turned after you and it was that other car which cut across him, he would have to have overtaken that car to catch up with you and stop you; that's not a very likely sequence of events.

Assuming that both of you are being honest, the plausible explanation is the one he has already suggested to you; you didn't see him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So you don't think he was there, because you didn't see him? Happens a lot with cyclists, people automatically look for cars, and the brain overlooks the bike. I don't think the garda had any reason to lie, so we'll have to assume you did cut him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

MarkR wrote: »
    Happens a lot with cyclists, people automatically look for cars, and the brain overlooks the bike.

I'm thinking it was a Garda motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Pity you didn't have a dashcam

• Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You just didn't see him obviously.
    At least you didn't knock him off the bike or even worse.
    You were probably focused on the approaching car and didn't see the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Strawberry1984

Thanks for the perspective. Hard to see it clearly when I'm in the middle!
    It was a motorbike.
    I was in no rush and the road was wide open, it's the n20. The Passat had come around the bend further back, someone suggested to me that he may have been behind that vehicle and went to overtake while I was turning. Hard to know.
    I suppose I have to suck it up and accept the punishment and take that bit longer in future cause I doubt myself at the moment driving. I've a lot of experience but this has been an eye opener, have been a tad paranoid driving since then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't think i'd go to court but I would call the Garda up or drop into the station and see can you square something with him.
    I get you might not have seen him but if he was that close to hitting you might have noticed him slowing down or trying to avoid you.

I know motorists don't see bikes of petrol or push a lot of times but they do see them when it's nearly too late, so not seeing him at all is strange unless he was well over the speed limit.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Unlikely that a garda motorbike would be overtaking coming up to an intersection?

Sounds more like a turn in rather than something marked.

I don't think i'd go to court but I would call the Garda up or drop into the station and see can you square something with him.
    I get you might not have seen him but if he was that close to hitting you might have noticed him slowing down or trying to avoid you.

I know motorists don't see bikes of petrol or push a lot of times but they do see them when it's nearly too late, so not seeing him at all is strange unless he was well over the speed limit.

It's so strange. My son was in the passenger seat of the car, he's 10 and he didn't see anything either. Everything seemed very normal and we were chatting and next thing he was beside me. Maybe he was in the hard shoulder turning left. Thanks for reply

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know how well I'd do in court anyway so I'll probably just accept it. Just wanted some perspective.

I'm honestly just so baffled that he was so close when I turned.

Thanks again anyway ðŸ‘

CCTV or dashcam only way to prove/disprove this situation.

degsie wrote: »
    CCTV or dashcam only way to prove/disprove this situation.

Would a witness not be good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

It happen to me as well, I haven't seen a cyclist and almost ran him over. Brown pants, shaky legs kind of moment. To this day I can't say if I really missed him or he was in the blind spot created by the front pillar.

Would a witness not be good enough?

Doubt a 10yo would be considered a reliable witness.

degsie wrote: »
    Doubt a 10yo would be considered a reliable witness.

Not an issue if he's willing http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/witnesses/witnesses_under_17_years.html

• Advertisement

My son didn't notice any bike in the distance. When I asked him afterwards he said he had no idea. And didn't see the Garda coming close to his side of the car. I wouldn't ask him to testify anyway though cause I wouldn't put him through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,010 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

At 10 years old he's a competent witness (provided the judge is satisfied that he understands the significance of an oath, and the importance of telling the truth, which presumably he does). But I doubt that he'd be a particularly persuasive witness. He'd have had no particular reason to be keeping a lookout. Plus, being in the position of having to back up his parent against a guard would put any 10-year old in a quandary, and I don't think a judge would attach too much weight to what he might say in that context. Plus, the ordeal would be huge for him, and I doubt any parent would want to put their child through it even if that were guaranteed to avoid an 80 euro find and three penalty points, which for the reasons just given it isn't.

I'd put this one down to experience. Nobody got hurt, and we've learned the lesson that it's not enough to register the car that's approaching; you also have to separately register that the roadside between that car and you is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

My son didn't notice any bike in the distance. When I asked him afterwards he said he had no idea. And didn't see the Garda coming close to his side of the car. I wouldn't ask him to testify anyway though cause I wouldn't put him through it.

So this means the Garda is lying, I seriously doubt they would. Your son obviously didn't seem him, id pay and move on.

xabi wrote: »
    So this means the Garda is lying, I seriously doubt they would. Your son obviously didn't seem him, id pay and move on.

No it's not that. Just can't understand how I stopped and then cut a Garda out. When I spoke to him I 100% trusted what the Garda said and didn't argue with him. Now in hindsight I have no recollection, was not rushing, I thought that perhaps he had been speeding , came from behind the Passat and was upon me without me realising it.

No it's not that. Just can't understand how I stopped and then cut a Garda out *

*off

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

An old biker acronym: SMIDSY
    Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You
    I've had it said a few times to myself but it doesn't stop me being scared sh!tless that their car nearly ploughed into me.
    I drive as well so I know what to look out for but it shows just how transparent motorcycles can be.
    You and your son were chatting as you made the turn and it only takes that little bit less of the drivers concentration for a collision to happen.

In fairness, the OP titled the thread "Pulled over for something I didn't do", so you are in effect calling the garda a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Cars have large blind spots that don't appear in mirrors.

You always need to look over your shoulders when turning.

I suspect you did not and relied on your mirrors.

I was very nearly in an accident once which scared the life out of me and that habit has now become ingrained

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Peregrinus wrote: »
    At 10 years old he's a competent witness (provided the judge is satisfied that he understands the significance of an oath, and the importance of telling the truth, which presumably he does).

A child (under 14) does not need to understand the importance of an oath as they do not take an oath.

All that is required is that the judge is satisfied "that he is capable of giving an intelligible account of events which are relevant to those proceedings".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hi there
    A few mins later after I'd pulled into a business there, a Garda on a bike pulled up beside me and told me to park the car.

Seems amazing that it took a motorbike cop a few minutes to catch up to you if he was that close. This part seems very suspicious. Generally you would have expected him to have the lights on you in 30 seconds or so.

Still more than likely you will have to suck it up as there is very payback for the risk you take going to court - unless you are close to 12 points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement